Tex

Just when you thought you had seen everything..

Tex

Someone (an American, I bet) has converted a K1600GT into an ‘adventure’ bike. 160 hp on dirt is more adventure than I am seeking, I tell you that.. :D 

AF22649-F-057-C-4-BC3-9231-E7170-E8-A64-

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Steveb2418
19 minutes ago, Tex said:

Someone (an American, I bet) has converted a K1600GT into an ‘adventure’ bike. 160 hp on dirt is more adventure than I am seeking, I tell you that.. :D 

AF22649-F-057-C-4-BC3-9231-E7170-E8-A64-

Like a Crosstourer ........only Bigger ! Very American 

• Haha 1

Exceledsteve

I like the concept... an upright road-going tourer without acres of heavy bodywork but decent enough front weather protection, shaft drive, lovely engine, and rare. I'd change the ugly  'adventure' boxes for something more elegant and less bulky though. It could be a bigger, more laid back version of Fred's lovely R1250RS.

• Like 2

Tex
2 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

I like the concept... an upright road-going tourer without acres of heavy bodywork but decent enough front weather protection, shaft drive, lovely engine, and rare. I'd change the ugly  'adventure' boxes for something more elegant and less bulky though. It could be a bigger, more laid back version of Fred's lovely R1250RS.

Put like that, yeah, maybe it’s not so daft. ‘Rare’ doesn’t bother me (otherwise I would buy an NC and ride it to our forum meetings.. ;) ) but otherwise you make a good point. :niceone:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tex

Talking of K1600s, my dealer has a nice one. A bunch of ‘BMW boys’ rocked up there because one of them fancied a try of the new Goldwing. He set off on the demo bike to much hilarity and cries of “You don’t want one of those!”

Half an hour later he came back and the first thing he said was “Actually, I do!”

:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Woody 99
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Talking of K1600s, my dealer has a nice one. A bunch of ‘BMW boys’ rocked up there because one of them fancied a try of the new Goldwing. He set off on the demo bike to much hilarity and cries of “You don’t want one of those!”

Half an hour later he came back and the first thing he said was “Actually, I do!”

:D 

Hopefully, to add insult to injury, he wanted a DCT. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tex
1 hour ago, Woody 99 said:

Hopefully, to add insult to injury, he wanted a DCT. 😜

I will have to ask! :D The K1600 comes with a fancy ‘clutch less shift system’ which, as far as I can make out, is just an up & down quick shifter with auto blipping. So maybe he did? I would imagine most folks would go for DCT, eh? I bloody well would. 

• Like 2

Dave H

I'd want a squad of 'support staff' to follow me in case I dropped it on the trail. A bit like the' long way round' chaps.

• Haha 2

Andy m

It's a massive touring bike with slightly easier to pack box panniers. I suppose for America it's quite advanced, no cow hide. The whole "Adventure" thing has become a joke though, just a category to help the marketing people convince 60 year olds to replace the one piece race leathers with Goretex. 

An adventure would be going somewhere few people get to. This is not Starbucks 25 miles from home, that's a bit of a ride out unless you set off on a Ural. 

Riding the Autoroute to do the Italian passes is a touring holiday. People have been doing it since the 1920's. The local's ride these roads all the time, so while sticking to 80 kph to avoid French fines and having none plastic coffee in a China cup may be novel, this is no adventure that requires any sort of special bike. 

If you do get off the beaten track these monsters are useless. Where there are camels and the speed gun merchants like to show you their AK47 before discussing the virtues of US dollars over local currency, you don't need 100HP. Getting a carnet on a £10k bike is literally 5 times more expensive than a £2k one. Picking up the Behemoth on what few dirt roads remain is something between annoying and life threatening. If you have a month to do the Stans an extra day there and back makes no difference anyway. The locals know and can repair Chinese 250's but have no idea what a ring piece antenna is and don't stock 300 section tyres. 

It's like a kiddies drawing where daddy wins the GP in a Volvo estate because little Timmy drew a spoiler above the tailgate. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Tex

13 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The locals know and can repair Chinese 250's but have no idea what a ring piece antenna is and don't stock 300 section tyres. 

:dielaugh:

Andy m

I give you exhibit B, the ultimate adventure bike

IMG-20190911-074223.jpg

Andy

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Rocker66

Depends on one’s definition of an adventure . When we were 16 3 friends and I packed our first bikes a BSAC15 two Tiger Cubs and a James Captain ( none Well now for their reliability) with very basic camping gear and set off for our first motorcycle trip away. For is at that time it was certainly an adventure with many new experiences. In my view doesn’t have to be a round the world trip as just something like riding your bike in a foreign country for the first time can be considered such. 

• Like 4

listener
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Andy

The ultimate adventure being packing the bike. And then unpacking the bike after having it AA/RAC trailered home due to collapsed springs!

They could have colour coordinated the luggage better! ;)

• Haha 1

Tex
3 hours ago, Andy m said:

IMG-20190911-074223.jpg

Andy

That’s what my bike would have looked like had Mrs T taken better to pillion riding. We did do a couple of trips. As I recall she had the panniers, top box and tank bag full of stuff and I got to take what would fit in my pockets.. ;) 

Is that a 650 Vee Strom under all the luggage? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

alhendo1

I've just realised there's cuddly toys bungeed to both suitcases 😅...I've no idea what bike is under there...650 V Strom sounds good👍

baben

Chap at my local club, in his 70s. Still got the Blackbird but will be using the CB500X to go to Italy this year - take an extra day. To me that would be an adventure but to him its just the annual trip to visit the relatives. 

• Like 3

PoppetM
1 hour ago, alhendo1 said:

I've just realised there's cuddly toys bungeed to both suitcases 😅...I've no idea what bike is under there...650 V Strom sounds good👍

Teddy has to travel too!!

• Haha 3

KingJames

Great place to put your spare helmet

listener
2 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

And neither has a helmet! :shocked:

It looks like he's had to employ an additional prop (just in front of the helmet) to help the poor sidestand cope with all that luggage. :(

Either that or it's his walking stick! :oldfart:

Trev

I had fun tussling with a guy on a K1600 at Castle Combe when I took my Griso there a couple of years back. I was expecting it to be the least appropriate bike at the track day until he trumped me with the BM gargantuan. He wasn't the biggest guy in the world but could certainly ride the thing and it had plenty of oomph, ultimately the laws of physics prevail though and most things got past us at some stage during the day

Perhaps this guy went with the thought that the best bike to have an adventure on is the one you've got, made a few mods and said 's*d you' to the naysayers while he was off enjoying himself. :thumbsup:

Edited by Trev
  • Like 1

Woody 99
7 hours ago, Andy m said:

IMG-20190911-074223.jpg

Andy

Looks like one of those airport taxi motorbikes at Paris airport just after the flight from Abidjan landed. 

• Haha 1

Andy m
3 hours ago, PoppetM said:

My wife agrees. 

Gerald here has in theory done many thousands of miles, crossed geographically significant lines on maps etc. 

20160409-094429-2-28212074054-o.jpg

I say in theory because like many hamsters, Gerbils and TV actors, Gerald has been replaced when the effects of Swedish anti-freeze became too much. 

1 hour ago, Trev said:

Perhaps this guy went with the thought that the best bike to have an adventure on is the one you've got,

This is true. Mechanical knowledge and history has to be a huge factor in the choice of bike. I've met a few who bought new machines because Chris Scott listed them in his book but otherwise didn't have a clue and made a similar mistake myself in failing to research how **** Rotax water pumps are. A slightly less suitable bike with a lot of knowledge certainly has to be better than one in theory better but unknown to the rider. You also must know that this monster will be a nightmare five minutes off the tarmac as soon as you have ten minutes experience of it though. 

Andy

• Like 1

alhendo1
16 minutes ago, Andy m said:
3 hours ago, PoppetM said:

My wife agrees. 

Gerald here has in theory done many thousands of miles, crossed geographically significant lines on maps etc. 

And still has the lenses in the goggles....after all those miles...respect👍

• Haha 2

Andy m
3 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

And still has the lenses in the goggles....after all those miles...respect👍

No, that's what the sand did to his eyes. 

Don't tell the wife. 

Andy

• Haha 3

Tonyj

your teds got glaucoma

• Haha 2