Fork Servicing.

kevcl15

Hi all,

Had a blown fork seal so thought I'd give it a go to replace them.

Stripped no problem (bushes were a bit of a swine to dislodge!) and had the lowers powder coated to give them a nice new coat. Rebuilding, new bushes in, new seals and dust seal installed, all good. 

Now, I have a set of Andreani Cartridge kits installed so I have a bit of a problem with the amount of oil to put in. Think the "standard" amount of oil is 104mm from the top of the stanchion with the spring etc out. However, I need to insert the cartridge kit to make the seal on the bottom. Sooooo, the question is, does anyone know how much oil I should be putting in the fork with the cartridge installed?

The "instructions" only says "Maker oil level with tool cod.1115 respecting the air-chamber values given in the last page of this manual.", however, the manual doesn't actually give any value so I'm a little lost as to how much to put in. 

Anyone else got the Andreani kit installed that could point me in the right direction??

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kev.

outrunner

I am sure fred_jb fitted those cartridges to his NC so hopefully he will probably be along to tell you about oil levels.

Andy.

fred_jb
6 hours ago, kevcl15 said:

Hi all,

Had a blown fork seal so thought I'd give it a go to replace them.

Stripped no problem (bushes were a bit of a swine to dislodge!) and had the lowers powder coated to give them a nice new coat. Rebuilding, new bushes in, new seals and dust seal installed, all good. 

Now, I have a set of Andreani Cartridge kits installed so I have a bit of a problem with the amount of oil to put in. Think the "standard" amount of oil is 104mm from the top of the stanchion with the spring etc out. However, I need to insert the cartridge kit to make the seal on the bottom. Sooooo, the question is, does anyone know how much oil I should be putting in the fork with the cartridge installed?

The "instructions" only says "Maker oil level with tool cod.1115 respecting the air-chamber values given in the last page of this manual.", however, the manual doesn't actually give any value so I'm a little lost as to how much to put in. 

Anyone else got the Andreani kit installed that could point me in the right direction??

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kev.

I was baffled by that too, as the amount is not given in the manual but by a sticker, which from what I remember was on the back of the instruction pack.

I'm not sure from what you say whether the cartridges were already installed in the forks or if you are doing this for the first time, in which case you will need to mod the forks to remove a welded in bush, unless Andreani have changed the design since I installed mine.

Just now, fred_jb said:

I'm not sure from what you say whether the cartridges were already installed in the forks or if you are doing this for the first time, in which case you will need to mod the forks to remove a welded in bush, unless Andreani have changed the design since I installed mine.

Hi Fred,

I bought the forks with the cartridges already fitted, so the work was already done. this is the first time I've had them stripped and rebuilt. I've gone with 400ml  in each fork for now, the guy I had them from gave me the oil he had left (2 different types) so enough to redo the forks. I'll give it a week or 2 and see how it goes. Looking at other posts regarding the fork oil, amounts, air gaps and viscosity's all seem to vary on preference anyway!

I'll take a look at the sleeve tomorrow to see if there's anything on there........

Cheers.

Kev.