Roar from the front end

Guest Perennialnovice

6 hours ago, Wierpig said:

OK, had the TKC70s on for about 500 miles now.The noise is reduced but still present. Excellent tyre though, on and off road.

Next you could try dislodging the cuddly lion toy wedged between your forks......

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• Grumpy old man

• F.Honda750xd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I confess to having kept the same wife for 41 years (next month) and have had numerous bikes in the same time. Why? Well, for one thing, if I move on to a new bike the old one doesn’t get to keep

Sorry for the delay but here's the pictures of my mod to end the road noise. 

Fine, Lloyd, but - with respect - you don’t have the depth of experience of different machines (you took a break of many years from riding, I think? Suggesting you weren’t really ‘hooked’ ). And Mike

Posted Images

lowrumblefan
On 29/01/2022 at 11:03, squashplayer said:

Using information from this forum, I replaces this tyre with an Avon Spirit.  Result?  The howl is history.  Totally cured the problem.  I had a similar problem with Michelin Anakee tyres on my 2018 BMW F750GS.  I replaced these with the Bridgestone Battlax A41.  This cured the problem for the Beamer.  Not so for the Honda.  By the way, the Beamer is history - got rid of it due to rattly engine made in China.  Very happy with the Honda.  Especially now it is whisper quiet with the Avon Spirit ST tyres.

Noted, I thought that indeed in my case it was the tyres as the noise varies with the road surface. This thread confims it. Interestingly, I had a test ride today of a 2019 F850GS and it's the first other bike on which I noticed the same kind of noise, Didn't hear anything like that on the 2022 V-strom XT I tried last week. I'll have to endure the Pilot5 a little longer, it's not that loud with them and imho Winter is not a good time to learn to trust a different type of Tyres.. Or is it ?

• 3 weeks later...
Integrator

The only noise I have noticed from the steering well, - and at the same time is a very welcomed noise…  is the intake roar... WOOaaa!!..

Especially when leaning on the throttle.. :D (when setting the aga all the way up to 11)

We don’t have too much exhaust noise.. so I’ve always thought it’s a welcoming noise addition..

(The intake is in the well :frantics:)

That said, I’ve always thought the NC is one of the quieter bikes I’ve driven..

to this end, I’ve done two small changes to ease noise and wind flow.. 

- Stuffed the letterbox, - so I don’t get wind/rain directly into my upper torso

- Changed the ‘windshield’ with a ‘wind deflector’, and open the gab under the deflector to strengthen the laminar wind stream so it shoots right over my helmet.

( one big advantage for me, was to get rid of the big massive original windshield, the wind deflector is only 40 x 42 cm’s and is doing a much better job keeping me dry in rainy conditions, that said - optimal laminar wind effects starts at approx 45 mph. ) 

I’ve not registered significant more noise from the well due to the type of tires mounted, - just now it should be at its worst, I’ve change to winter tires, quite ‘knobbly’ ones with no significant increased noise level..:D 

So interesting what’s happening here, to those of you who experienced this kinda noise from the well.. 

Edited by Integrator
  • Like 1
DaveStewart

I had the original Dunlops on until two weeks ago.After two new Bridgestones and two new fork seals,the noise is most certainly a roar.I never noticed any noise before the change though.

Is this peculiar to the x model then? I can't say I've ever heard it on my 2014 s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

After upgrading my ear plugs I decided  to route round in the garage and came up with simple solution. Take  two and a half car sponges laid end to end, roll them in a plastic bag/bin liner to make water tight, then wrap in gaffer tape for longevity, wrap in a way that leaves the sponges full of air. Shove the entire sausage width way behind the forks held at the pinch behind the yoke and long enough to touch the side panels. Full range of motion on turning as the sponges simply compress and expand, and 3/4 of all the air stopped from traveling up. Cost £2 roll of gaffer tape £1 pack of three car wash sponges, plastic bag free..... happy quiet days

• Like 1
Defender

This has been an on going issue with the NC'X since 'as long as I can remember/or I've been on here'!

I thought that someone a long while back was trying to make a 'skirt' with curved slots in so the forks could rotate but the airflow was restricted, I'm not sure what happened with that?

I'm sure that there was a fairing that had a skirt like this, maybe on a BMW or similar in the '80's or '90's, 

I personally think it's due to a combination of factors, the tyres are certainly one of them, some tread patterns will be better/worse than others, I notice the noise difference in my car between it's normal/summer tyres and the cold weather set.

The riding position is very upright and 'over the bars(ish)' so the riders head is closer to that area.

The angle of the aperture the forks are in plus the screen angle and size, I have a tall touring screen fitted, a shorter screen might help to reduce it?

I'm sure that there is a solution, but would it be worth a companies effort/money/time to develop it, probably not for the NC'X alone anyway, but I'm sure other bikes have the same/similar issue to some extent too? 

BackMarker
On 01/11/2022 at 10:36, Blandy199 said:

Is this peculiar to the x model then? I can't say I've ever heard it on my 2014 s.

I'm getting a lot of noise from the front of my 2021 "S", with a slightly higher "touring" screen. Odd, because there's only the headlight binnacle to funnel the noise. It's not the air intakes, is it? Or have they already been eliminated from the quest?

Grumpy old man

I'd forgotten all about the front end noise  untill, I've just replaced my Avon Storms ( because my supplier can't get them anymore) for Bridgestone T31's. Bloody noisy. 

• 9 months later...
Wingman

Firstly i'm a newbie on the site so Hi to all. 

I've been reading the posts about  front end noise/rumble as I have been getting it badly on my 2019 NC750X.

At first I thought wheel bearing, replaced the bearings....... still exactly the same. I soon realised the tone changed considerately with changes in the road surface type.  I had 25% worn Bridgestones front & rear but convinced now the noise was tyres I had a pair of Continental TKC 70's fitted.  JOB DONE... noise totally gone & now an absolute pleasure to ride with no need for ear plugs!! 

Best wishes to all. 

Edited by Wingman
  • Thanks 3
Rocker66

Welcome to the forum Wingman and thank you for the information about tyre noise although it is well documented on here.

• 3 weeks later...
oldwisedude

Some of my previous bikes, MT-07, Z900, KTM790Duke, have all benefitted from the comfort, predictability and quietness of Continental tyres. In the past I have used both RoadAttack 3 and TrailAttack 3, the latter being the current fit on my 2023 NC750X-DCT. They warm up quickly, grip well in all sorts of conditions and have an uncanny quiet smoothness that is like having a suspension upgrade. I love them.

p.s. I have a pair of Dunlop Trailmax D609, unmarked, puncture-free, great condition, only done 1100 miles, (5.5mm in centre of rear tyre). Free to collect. West Sussex

Edited by oldwisedude
offer used Dunlops for free
  • Like 2