NC 750 D - forks strip down - emulators

Stu Brown

Planning to fit YSS emulators to the forks on my 2015 Integra.

Can anyone tell me how the damping rod is removed from the bottom of the fork lower leg?

I can see from the parts diagram that there is an 8mm Allen screw at the bottom of the forks lower section, which I surmise holds in the rod / pipe, but do I need something to stop it turning as I turn the screw?

If anyone else has fitted YSS emulators - are they worth while?

Stu Brown

Depends how tight they are.  Usually you can crack the bolts by giving a very quick twist but you need an 8mm long allen key socket set type to attach to a wrench. Also you can usually hold the top with something like a broom handle. I've done it both ways.

• Like 2

What Garry said..i use an air gun to loosen the 8mm bolt..

• Like 1

Yep. A broomstick with the end whittled to a bit of a taper can be pushed into the hole in the damper rod if it does want to turn, often they'll undo fine without that.

Getting emulators set up how you want them is something of a development exercise, they're unlikely to be how you want straight out of the box. We've had extensive threads on here about our collective finding regarding disc hole sizes, emulator spring rates and preloads, and fork oil viscosity and level (air-gap). Try to search for emulators or suspension mods or suchlike and see if you can find the threads, I can't remember exactly what the title was. I have Debrix emulators in my 700 Integra, they are much the same in principle as the Racetech/YSS. You can save yourself a lot of trial and error by searching through what we've concluded previously.

• Like 2
TheEnglishman

Yes - setup took me 3 good goes to get the rate, compression and rebound to where I wanted them.  The place I took it to first liked a hard setup (nothing wrong with that) and I found I preferred something softer.

One thing I learned was that one brand's 15w fork oil is likely to be a very different viscosity from another brand's.  So pick a Brand and stick with it or all your hard work could be undone when you change the fork oil!!

• Like 1

Try changing fork oil to either  a 5 or 7.5 silkolene fst ? If your air gap is 104 try 140 (possibly  a misprint in the manual  ) got rid of the choppy ride  on my X , worth a try before  the emulator route 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Stu Brown said:

Can anyone tell me how the damping rod is removed from the bottom of the fork lower leg?

I can see from the parts diagram that there is an 8mm Allen screw at the bottom of the forks lower section, which I surmise holds in the rod / pipe, but do I need something to stop it turning as I turn the screw?

Stu Brown

Undo the 8mm Allen bolt before undoing the top fork nut,  if you leave the fork legs in the bike the oil will now drain out, you can then remove the spacer, two washers, and spring from the top, you then push up the damping rod through the bottom bolt hole or use a magnet on a telescopic rod type thing to pull up the damping rod.

On reassembly the damping rod Allen bolt will tighten back up without reassembling the forks, you can then add the oil.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses.

I think I am going to try Trisaki's strategy first of all.

I have got some Silkolene 5 gr fork oil and will see how this pans out.

I will try the 140mm air gap, as I think my NC750 D  model  has the120mm fork movement / stroke.

Will report back.

• Like 1

Just wondering how long ago the fork oil was changed.  Just changing for new oil on my NCx made a heck of a difference.  Really stiffened it up. I used 10w btw.  

• Like 1
Mark8arker
On 21/09/2019 at 16:48, Stu Brown said:

Stu Brown

Fitted them to my 2017 NC750X.  If you can afford it. Get them fitted by professional. Saving up to have cartridge kit fitted instead. 

• Like 1

Just back from my first run on the  Integra with the mods that Trisaki suggested.

(ie.-  Gr 5 Silkolene fork oil and 140mm air gap.)

Result - improved feel and a  comfortable ride. Next job - 2 up ride to see if that has changed any.

Bonus points - On removal of the fork springs - I was surprised to find that they are a progressive type, Parts diagram shows them as single pitch.

Also the fork oil was was pretty grim - the bike has 11K miles on the clock, so I am glad I didn't wait for the recommended mileage before replacing.

This winter I will investigate improving the rear suspension.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Stuart

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stu Brown said:

Just back from my first run on the  Integra with the mods that Trisaki suggested.

(ie.-  Gr 5 Silkolene fork oil and 140mm air gap.)

Result - improved feel and a  comfortable ride. Next job - 2 up ride to see if that has changed any.

Bonus points - On removal of the fork springs - I was surprised to find that they are a progressive type, Parts diagram shows them as single pitch.

Also the fork oil was was pretty grim - the bike has 11K miles on the clock, so I am glad I didn't wait for the recommended mileage before replacing.

This winter I will investigate improving the rear suspension.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Stuart

Grease rear suspension  linkage and fit either a yss or hagon shock 

• Like 4

Re Trisaki's suggestion -  ie fitting YSS or Hagon rear shock.

I have tried to find a replacement monoshock for the Integra without success. I am told that it is a different length to that fitted on the other NC models. Currently waiting for some info from Founales

Stuart

The 700 Integra shock is 300mm between centres. It's certainly different to the X model, not 100% sure whether the S is a different length. It's difficult to find detail specs for suspension items without measuring things yourself, which is what I have done.

I sold my OE 700 Integra shock to someone with an S and apparently it fitted/worked fine on that.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/52400MGSD71

shows the 700 Integra and the early 750 Integra were common, that was before the easier preload adjuster came in. It would be reasonable to assume the spec is the same (length/spring rate/damping), just the preload facility changed.