Trev

Which bike for my Son?

Trev

My Son has just passed his full licence so I thought it may be interesting to hear suggestions from the esteemed members of this forum as to which bike (or bikes) you would suggest for him. A bit of background; he learned to ride at about ten years old on a Kawasaki KE100 on a friends farm but, after an accident (thankfully not injured) on his moped when sixteen, gave up two wheels in favour of four. His interest was rekindled when he went travelling in the Far East for six months when he was 19 and hired/borrowed a range of two wheelers including a 400cc Honda of some description. On his return he did his CBT and rode a CBF125 for about ten months and then took his A2 which he passed and swapped the 125 for a 2009 Yamaha MT03 660cc single at the age of twenty.

Three years and 16,000 miles later the poor thing is ready for retirement (commuting in Bournemouth, merciless thrashing at the weekend, minimal cleaning & tlc) and as he's just passed is full licence the lad is ready to go for something else.

It will be the bank of Dad funding his wheels and insurance (at last until he gets his first proper job) so no Kawasaki H2's or Nortons please but he would like something interesting, a bit more zip than his MT, not too crouchy over and with a half decent pillion perch for his girlfriend. He's not into street cred (Sunday morning 'look what I'm riding' meets are a no no for him) but the emphasis is on the word interesting.

Go on then, do your worst ........ :frantics:

• Like 2

Exceledsteve

My 21 year old son is riding a CBR500R on an A2 licence at the moment. I recently bought a CB650R, partly for me and partly to encourage him to pass his full A licence. He's frothing at the mouth at the prospect of riding it... his dream bike. Fairly ordinary but very competent and lovely to ride. Perhaps your son would like one. They're reasonably priced too!

• Like 6

Rocker66
14 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

My 21 year old son is riding a CBR500R on an A2 licence at the moment. I recently bought a CB650R, partly for me and partly to encourage him to pass his full A licence. He's frothing at the mouth at the prospect of riding it... his dream bike. Fairly ordinary but very competent and lovely to ride. Perhaps your son would like one. They're reasonably priced too!

Good suggestion but if he doesn’t want the sporty riding maybe the CB500F would suit his needs. Depends on what exactly he means by interesting though.

alhendo1
19 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Good suggestion but if he doesn’t want the sporty riding maybe the CB500F would suit his needs. Depends on what exactly he means by interesting though.

+1 for the CB500F👍

fred_jb

What about the MT-07, or for a bit more excitement the KTM 790?  However, I don't think either have much in the way of suspension adjustment which might be an issue for two-up use.

• Like 2

Graham

...oh I don’t know?

What forum is is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tex
Posted (edited)

Hmm, wouldn’t know where to start..  If he’s used to a single cylinder I wonder if he would find a straight four a bit bland? Although the novelty of 80 rear wheel horses would make up for that for a while at least. ;) 

It has to be up to him, surely? He must know what he fancies?

Apart from a few obvious ones to avoid (Ducati and their expensive to service desmodromic valves, for example) I think most modern bikes are OK for daily use.

If it were me, I would be looking for an oil head boxer. Shaft drive to cut down on maintenance, doesn’t rot away underneath you, brilliant suspension and cheap as chips to buy. 

Good luck. I suspect you’re going to need it.  :niceone:

Edit: Look at this little beauty. £4495 from BRM. 

B5-CDDCB8-5825-4-C76-AF91-4-FA335-C7-C51

Edited by Tex
  • Like 3

Defender
6 hours ago, fred_jb said:

What about the MT-07, or for a bit more excitement the KTM 790?  However, I don't think either have much in the way of suspension adjustment which might be an issue for two-up use.

MT07 yes, except it always looks a little bit messy/nearly finished to me and lots of nooks and crannys for muck to sit in, I think the KTM would be a bit new and they aren't renowned for great standard seats, they would rather sell you a proper one for more money!

My recommendation would be a BMW parallel twin of some description, loads about seem to be fairly long lived and reliable?

• Like 2

Tex

1 hour ago, Defender said:

My recommendation would be a BMW parallel twin of some description, loads about seem to be fairly long lived and reliable?

Yes, perfectly sensible. Especially one of the earlier (belt drive) models.

Actually, while hanging out the washing on the heated airer (oh, it’s a pretty ‘Rock N Roll’ lifestyle here at Tex Towers ;) ) it occurred to me that you, Trev, already had the perfect machine in your stable until recently.

Young guy, not much money, wants a bike to use rather than polish, needs dependability and economy without lots of maintenance and decent passenger carrying ability? I would be looking at, yes, the ‘Guzzi V7.. :niceone:

• Like 3

suffolk58

I think I'd give him a set maximum price limit, and then sit him down at his computer, with his favourite auction site, and set say, a maximum 50 miles limit to look at bikes.

With my son I insisted on Japanese bikes only, and at the second attempt he found a stonking 17 year old Suzuki GSX600F with only 1500 miles on it. The seller was a real enthusiast with a number of bikes in his heated garage, and gave us a number of service spares as part of the very good deal, (but we had to replace the ancient tyres).

I enjoyed the hunt as much as my son, and now, one year on, he's thinking of moving up to a one litre bike, and should get back the price of the Suzuki (fingers crossed).

• Like 4

Tex

1 minute ago, suffolk58 said:

With my son I insisted on Japanese bikes only, and at the second attempt he found a stonking 17 year old Suzuki GSX600F with only 1500 miles on it.

GSX600F? Is that the faired one? Used to (unfairly) be called the teapot? Bloody good bikes. A neighbour had one and commuted Eastbourne to London on it. Did more miles than the Starship Enterprise and the only thing I remember going wrong with it was, of all things, the vacuum fuel tap. 

• Like 1

suffolk58
3 minutes ago, Tex said:

GSX600F? Is that the faired one? Used to (unfairly) be called the teapot? Bloody good bikes. A neighbour had one and commuted Eastbourne to London on it. Did more miles than the Starship Enterprise and the only thing I remember going wrong with it was, of all things, the vacuum fuel tap. 

That's the one. He's more than tripled the mileage going to work on it and has fitted hard luggage (but I've warned him to put it back to standard before selling it.)

Still looks immaculate, but he does use the car on really filthy days.

The only problem he's had, funnily enough, is cold starting last winter. With a bit of what sounds like carb icing on the really cold days.

He works for Jaguar/Land Rover, but has been applying for jobs at Triumph. :)

• Like 2

fj_stuart

SV650? - light, fast, great brakes & handling, fantastic engine. Lots about and inexpensive. I'd look for a Gen 2 (2003-08) naked - the Sport has too sporty a riding position for this old guy.

My SV goes touring.

b%252314.jpg

• Like 5

Jeffprince

Had a gsx600f prior to the NC...lovely bike. The sporty position (albeit not extreme) got me down in the end. The GSX1200f is an alternative. More comfortable and more suited to longer trips. Both relatively cheap and highly recommended.

• Like 2

Defender

Choosing/suggesting bikes for someone else quite is fun and potentially less expensive! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Trev

Loving this guys, keep 'em coming and I'll pop up some thoughts when I get a spare moment.

Not sure what my lad will make of the suggestions, will be interesting to find out and I'm going to try not to second guess.

• Like 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)

So, maybe a bit left field, but what about a Ducati Monster. The aircooled ones are pretty solid and reliable, easy to look after yourself and if that's not appealing, you're situated near one of the best Ducati Dealers in the country, at Alton in Hampshire. 

They tour well and are OK two up. And they have character and credibility in spades.

I offer this suggestion as a former long term, long distance rider of one of the best monsters, a Ducati GT1000 (a monster in disguise)

They're not expensive second hand and tend to be well looked after.

The S8R is one of the best of them, and at 800cc fairly sensible.

Just a thought.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Yes, perfectly sensible. Especially one of the earlier (belt drive) models.

I had an F800ST when I first got back into biking a few years ago.  That had belt drive and the engine was rather nice, though they are known to have problems with paint flaking off the motor.  It turned out to be too sporty a riding position for my old bones, but might suit a younger man if he can get his head around the mental three button indicator system!  I couldn't, I was always getting unwanted and unsettling throttle movement while trying to find the indicator cancel button on the right hand bar.

bmw-f800st-21.jpg

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Andy m

Much as I love a list to make the autumn days pass by, I think he has to decide for himself. 

No point getting a GSX600 if he fancies a Ducati. It'll be expensive and get annoying, but you need to get this stuff out of your system. 

For me it has to be a Japanese brand (or Triumph), 45 to 70 HP and have a shape that fits, but then you look for the best deal over say three years. SV650's for example can be had years newer and have the lovely V-twin engine, but the reason for this is the cost of getting at the valves and back spark plugs if you don't do DIY. 

Andy

slowboy

Tried to add this, pretty much agree with all of it, oh, and I meant S2R, not S8R

• Like 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Much as I love a list to make the autumn days pass by, I think he has to decide for himself. 

No point getting a GSX600 if he fancies a Ducati. It'll be expensive and get annoying, but you need to get this stuff out of your system. 

For me it has to be a Japanese brand (or Triumph), 45 to 70 HP and have a shape that fits, but then you look for the best deal over say three years. SV650's for example can be had years newer and have the lovely V-twin engine, but the reason for this is the cost of getting at the valves and back spark plugs if you don't do DIY. 

Andy

Andy, servicing the aircooled Ducati is as cheap (and easy) as a Honda if you go to the right place. Bear in mind our local Honda dealer wants over £400 to shim my CRF250 Rally. And no, they won't be getting the task😂

Of all the Bikes I've owned, the Ducatis were the only ones with soul. My experience of over 80,000 miles on two of them is that the aircooled ones are not the horned, expensive beast of legend, and are in fact as reliable as anything else.

If you do the work yourself they are very simple to work on. There are some very good independents as well who are very reasonable if you don't fancy DIY.

But then I love them.😁

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3

Rocker66

Maybe a good idea if your son were to sit down and make a list of what he wants from a bike his (your?) budget and the type of use he intends to put to. This  might eliminate several  machines and least that would make the choosing a bit easier. Who knows this might even produce a short list .

• Like 2

Tex

19 minutes ago, slowboy said:

There are some very good independents as well who are very reasonable if you don't fancy DIY. But then I love them.😁

Your love life is of little interest to most of us, matey. Ain’t no one on here gonna criticise you for it. 

How do you feel about the bikes? ;) 

• Haha 4

Trev

Perhaps I should have shared the text he sent me to let me know he had passed his final test:

'Time for a Hayabusa :D'

:frantics::frantics::frantics:

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 3

Tex
1 hour ago, fred_jb said:

I had an F800ST when I first got back into biking a few years ago.  That had belt drive and the engine was rather nice, though they are known to have problems with paint flaking off the motor.  It turned out to be too sporty a riding position for my old bones, but might suit a younger man if he can get his head around the brilliant three button indicator system! 

Fixed that for you Fred. :niceone:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1