Trev

Which bike for my Son?

Tex
9 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

They are an awful lot of bike for the money.

Bloody right! I could be tempted by that myself. 

• Like 1

Hickky

As the boy is over 6 foot, small sportsbikes won't do so the CBr600RR is out. I would suggest a Triumph triple or Kawasaki 1000 (or Z900) as big bikes, roomy, nuff power to scare sometimes but not all the time. I would not consider a bike with a full fareing as it could leave him too comfortable, let him ride naked!

• Like 1

sad vampire

something cheap to insure such as the SV650, v-strom, etc.

Ciaran1602

Of that list I would he inclined toward a fazer 600, even better if you can yet an FZ6 for the money (an S2 even better!). However that triumph spotted earlier is a huge amount of bike for the money.

• Like 1

Trev
11 hours ago, Hickky said:

As the boy is over 6 foot, small sportsbikes won't do so the CBr600RR is out. I would suggest a Triumph triple or Kawasaki 1000 (or Z900) as big bikes, roomy, nuff power to scare sometimes but not all the time. I would not consider a bike with a full fareing as it could leave him too comfortable, let him ride naked!

He's been riding his MT03 for over two yeas and that really hangs you out in the wind, a trip back from Cornwall earlier this year at 'motorway speeds' I think made his mind up that a jap sports tourer would be the next thing for him to try and he's really keen on the VFR750, could be fun finding a half decent one of those :frantics:

Trev
18 hours ago, suffolk58 said:

Just crept onto my Facebook group.....Triumph Sprint 955i, W reg (what's that 2000?) with MOT until next Sept. I don't know the mileage but it comes from a chap on the East Anglian Over 50's group, so better chance of being looked after than the "Rocket Riders" forum members (maybe). The photo's look nice and it has a full set of colour (red) matched luggage and he wants £1,250 for it. The downside is that it's here in East Anglia.

72485149_10218554823489138_2447253948441034752_o[1].jpg

Thanks, looks a lot of bike for the cash but even to me it looks more like a number 9 bus than a bike, not a thing for a young man to be seen on :D

• Haha 2

Exceledsteve
2 hours ago, Trev said:

Thanks, looks a lot of bike for the cash but even to me it looks more like a number 9 bus than a bike, not a thing for a young man to be seen on :D

That's the ST model Trev, for the more 'discerning' rider, complete with gentleman's luggage space. Try the Sprint RS model... 2003 - 2004. Much more 'young man'. Hard to find nice ones mind.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wOLpkBBA&id=FEF90A5129E3677B895F7E6151F6A96FEC7640C1&thid=OIP.wOLpkBBALmvHfut4WBYmPgHaEz&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fcatalog-moto.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f3%2ftriumph-sprint-rs_2.jpg&exph=927&expw=1429&q=triumph+sprint+rs+955i+specs&simid=608014798182942686&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

Little long in the tooth now but what about an XJ900? Shaft drive, 90hp of buttery smooth turbine torque. Very few bikes for as little money would I choose to safely shift continents. Very simple to work on as well (even I managed to do some bits). Fuel economy is a bit rubbish by modern standards but still reasonable.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 2

Trev

***UPDATE***

A scout around yesterday and looks like my lad has his heart set on a 97 plate VFR800, 35k miles, decent history and amazingly good condition for it's years and miles, a great example of Honda quality at it's best. He's just trying to get a firm commitment on his insurance (it's an import which has added a fair bit to the cost) and then I'll be taking it for try out on Monday and prying fivers from my wallet if it seems ok. The dealer is even offering a limited (motor, main cycle parts) but welcome  3 month warranty he's so confident it won't play up. It's been their own run around for 18 months and they've 'traded up' to a 2008 model so this one is surplus to requirements. Totally standard apart from end can (it comes with original) and heated grips all for a whisker over two grand - who needs PCP? :thumbsup:

Edited by Trev

Exceledsteve

Great bikes. I had one for 5 years. Longest I've ever owned a bike for. That sounds a little over priced to me though, especially for an import which complicates his insurance. Look around the bay... you'll find newer, cheaper bikes with fewer miles. Might have to travel further though.