Sign in to follow this  
Steveg

Time to replace original dunlops

Steveg
Posted (edited)

Howdy

My OEM dunlops are almost worn out , got approx 5k out of them and not been that great and only lasted 3 months ( normally get 10k + out of sport touring tyres )

90% of my miles are commuting so looking at either Michelin PR5's or Avon Storm 3D XM

The Avon's are cheaper (approx £200 a pair fitted ) , where as the PR5's are £260

I've never heard a bad word about PR's in general and have used PR1,2,3,4 on previous bikes , the only issue I had was the PR4 seemed prone to punctures ( may have been just unlucky)

Also have used Avon storms previously on previous bikes with good results

Interested in any one using Avons storm on a NC750X

Would value any thoughts

Any thing after the Dunlops will be a improvement hopefully

Cheers Steve

Edited by Steveg

shiggsy

As soon as the OEM tyres wear out I switch to Avons, been using them for about 2 decades.  Current range is the 3D-XM which I use, got 18k out of the rear tyre and 9k out of the front, never had any issues with them for winter riding. The Storm 2's are being phased out, the Spirit is a higher spec tyre above the 3D-XM and is more expensive but I haven't tried them yet, though Tex on here likes them.  I think they are a damned good tyre and the prices is a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

embee

I've now fitted the Michelin Road5 to 3 of my bikes. I previously used PR4 and Z8 Metzelers.

The things I particularly like about the R5 are the very supple ride, they iron out coarse road surfaces very nicely, and somehow they make slow riding (walking pace) much easier. I find them quite "leisurely" in character, they aren't at all twitchy and so far have been totally stable, never a hint of wobble or weave. Up to now they're the nearest thing to a perfect tyre I've come across. I haven't done enough miles to really establish the life, but they look like equalling the PR4 at somewhere round 10-12k mls for a rear, probably not much different for the fronts, maybe a bit more but I tend to change early.

The R5 is an easy tyre to fit, if you DIY.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Griff

I tend to agree with Murray. I have Road 5's on my Strom and a 4/5 combination on my X-Adv. Imho they are the best tyres I have ever had on a motorcycle. 

Andy m

Another vote for Michelin here. Seems a guaranteed success for only 60 quid more.

My next new bike won't even be ridden on the awful tyres they seem to supply with them. The dealer can start me on a decent pair and either give me something off for the Dunplops or I bring them home and put them on the auction site for someone who's strapped for cash to use up. The 6 months I lived with mine were a waste of some good weather and rides that decent tyres would have made better. 

Andy

Hickky

At least the Avons are a British tyre, made in Melksham. 

embee
2 hours ago, Hickky said:

At least the Avons are a British tyre, …...

…. or as they are also known, a division of Cooper Tire and Rubber Company of Findlay, Ohio.

Minis and Jaguars are also British.

Then there's Michelin Tyres, Stoke on Trent...…… and Dundee.

• Like 1

Hickky
39 minutes ago, embee said:

…. or as they are also known, a division of Cooper Tire and Rubber Company of Findlay, Ohio.

Minis and Jaguars are also British.

Then there's Michelin Tyres, Stoke on Trent...…… and Dundee.

Well, I'll be jiggerd, I didn't know they are American owned, but at least they make bike tyres in Melksham, as they did for Jeff Duke onwards, a proud history of bike tyre manufacturing. I wonder where Michelins PRs are made. F1 tyres are made in Stoke I believe.

• Like 1

rjp996

I've done about 24k on PR5's now and have been great in all weathers, as were the PR4, however I've found the tread block leading edges have worn better on the PR5 so I'm a convert

Steveb2418
6 hours ago, Hickky said:

Well, I'll be jiggerd, I didn't know they are American owned, but at least they make bike tyres in Melksham, as they did for Jeff Duke onwards, a proud history of bike tyre manufacturing. I wonder where Michelins PRs are made. F1 tyres are made in Stoke I believe.

If you ask nicely you can visit the factory. I’ve been there twice in the past , fascinating , and you come away with much more of an understanding why m/c tyres appear so expensive . In fact if they still entertain vis its would make a great NC forum run out in the spring ! 

Steveg

Thanks for the replies , will hopefully get a pair fitted next week

Not sure yet what to go for , temped still by the Avons by most likely the PR5's

Cheers Steve

Edited by Steveg

embee
19 hours ago, Hickky said:

... I wonder where Michelins PRs are made. ….

My Mich R5's say "made in Spain". B)

Tonyj

My sena headset  says “built in antenna” , ain’t got a clue where that is :0)

Edited by Tonyj
  • Haha 3

Steveg

Road 5s fitted ride in / out £260 free fitting deal

Typically rained all the way home

Feel 10 times better than the Dunlop's and not scrubbed in fully yet

Rear comes with 7mm tread and front 5mm

First impressions rounded profile so not aggressive turn in which suits the NC

Comfortable and stable takes some of the harness away and improves ride quality

Feels very confident inspiring

Be interesting on how they wear but good to get some decent tyres on before winter

Cheers Steve

• Thanks 1