Dave H

I've been lured over to the dark side.

Dave H

Been done and bought a R1200RT SE MU (anyone know what MU stands for, probably something in German no doubt).

2011 with 14K and full dealer service history.  I got fed up doing long motorway trips on the NC which I'm keeping as its such a great bike.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

shiggsy

Manchester United

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Tonyj
Posted (edited)

Single cam I think. And I think the G is silent :0)

Edited by Tonyj

slowboy

Maintenance Upgradable?

Motorrad unterentwickelt?

😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

Dave H
34 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Single cam I think. And I think the G is silent :0)

Twin cam is Zwillingsnockenwelle, doesn't roll off the tongue does it. einzelne Nockenwelle is single cam.

If I can remember I'll ask a German friend next time I see one.

• Like 2

Tex

Congrats on the new bike! Can’t wait to hear more about it. :niceone: Enjoy!

My last BMW was an R850R MU. I think (but could easily be wrong) that MU just stands for U.K. spec or U.K. market. 

• Like 2

cartejo5

Evening, MU means model update. If its a 2011 bike it should be a TC twin cam motor. The TC's are widely regarded as the best of the 1200 oil cooled motors. Should be a nice bike, enjoy it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tex

Thanks John! It all falls into place now. My 850 was the later model with the 6 speed box and nicer styling - hence MU over the early bike.  :niceone:

Dave H

Put 160 miles on it today round the peak district and Lincolnshire. Its nice to get off a bike and not feel like your buttocks don't belong to you.

Got caught in a massive downpour but apart from my, summer, gloves leaking a bit no dramas.

• Like 4

Tex

That’s a lovely looking machine. I know you’re going to make the most of your good fortune. :niceone:

• Like 2

Mr Toad

Welcome to the BMW section. :) 

Lovely bike, I've always loved my BMWs, they are a bit of a Marmite thing for some people but as far as I'm concerned they give me everything I want to make riding any distance a real joy and you simply can't put a price on buttock comfort.

• Like 8

Dave H
4 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Welcome to the BMW section. :) 

Lovely bike, I've always loved my BMWs, they are a bit of a Marmite thing for some people but as far as I'm concerned they give me everything I want to make riding any distance a real joy and you simply can't put a price on buttock comfort.

Yes Mason I've had quite a few but this is my first 1200, very different from the 1100's and 1150's but, comfortingly, similar.

• Like 2

Woody 99

I’m still pissed that Honda don’t make a touring bike like that. With DCT, of course. 

• Like 3

Dave H
55 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

I’m still pissed that Honda don’t make a touring bike like that. With DCT, of course. 

Oddly enough a friend who came out with us yesterday has a DCT Crosstourer and we compared notes over a sandwich.  He complained of a lack of engine braking and I noticed that he was braking into bends that I 'dropped a cog' for. (we weren't hanging about by the way). On my NC I paddle down a couple but sometimes still have to grab a handful.

He reckoned the weather protection was nothing like it should be on a bike called a Cross-tourer but then its not a wing I, helpfully, pointed out. Forum rules prevent me from sharing his reply.

So it looks like DCT Wing or BMW

Tex
1 hour ago, Woody 99 said:

It was an RT your father in law crashed wasn’t it? How’s his recovery going?

Woody 99
8 hours ago, Tex said:

It was an RT your father in law crashed wasn’t it? How’s his recovery going?

Yes, it was an RT, his other bike being a VFR1200 which is a Honda tourer with DCT, they just don’t make it any more. 

He is doing well, under the circumstances. He’s lost 10kg, which he probably needed to lose anyway. The road to rehab is long and painful but we’ve heard nothing to suggest that there are complications. He gets pretty grouchy, apparently, but that is understandable at any age when dealing with this, let alone when you’re a birthday away from the big 8-0. He talks about when he gets back to biking, not if, so all in all I think he’s lucky, under the circumstances. Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tex

Thanks for the update. I can well imagine the struggle facing him. I broke my shoulder three years back (walking the dog in the hills outside town) and the re-hab was painful and difficult. But it was absolutely worth the effort as it’s as good as new now. Great to hear he’s not giving up riding, I’m sure he would regret it if he did. 

A local chap of a similar age to your FIL is about to change his big boxer for an F800GT which might be something FIL might consider? Best wishes to him. :niceone:

tedium

That is a twin cam engine Dave ... you can spot it as there are only two bolts on the cam covers. The earlier single cam versions have four bolts.  There were a number of changes to TC bikes and as others have said they are widely regarded as the best of the oil cooled versions. 

Dave H
10 hours ago, tedium said:

That is a twin cam engine Dave ... you can spot it as there are only two bolts on the cam covers. The earlier single cam versions have four bolts.  There were a number of changes to TC bikes and as others have said they are widely regarded as the best of the oil cooled versions. 

Thanks for that, a friend has an LC (liquid cooled I think) and reckons the TC MU he swapped it for was better but he might have been grooming me.

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Rev Ken
On 11/10/2019 at 07:35, Tex said:

Thanks for the update. I can well imagine the struggle facing him. I broke my shoulder three years back (walking the dog in the hills outside town) and the re-hab was painful and difficult. But it was absolutely worth the effort as it’s as good as new now. Great to hear he’s not giving up riding, I’m sure he would regret it if he did. 

A local chap of a similar age to your FIL is about to change his big boxer for an F800GT which might be something FIL might consider? Best wishes to him. :niceone:

As I was approaching 80 I swapped from a CBF1000 for a BMW F800GT, did a few mods and I'm happy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

neojynx

Had a R1150RT for a number of years.  Good bike to work on yourself.  It was a good bike, but not a great bike.  I still have my NC and now have a FJR1300.  I  do 164 miles a day commuting and found the NC more than  adequate.  But the FJR does eat up the triple carriageway in a better way.  NC is unbeatable in the city and still faster than anything from stop to 30, including my FJR.

I was thinking about a R1200RT when I bought the FJR, but wanted something a bit different and easier to change a clutch if ever needed.

• Like 2

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Rev Ken said:

did a few mods and I'm happy!

Well did say that you’re an ex Rocker.😂😂

• Haha 2

commuter

Some years ago ( I think it was 2009) I used to travel from Leicester to Northampton and back as a daily commute. One afternoon, as i rode my FZ6 at a steady 70-ish down the M1 towards Leicester, a 1200 BMW like this one appeared in my mirror. The rider was riding very close but just to one side of me and I glanced round to see the familiar helmet colours of  none other than Graham/ Damon Hill. I adjusted my mirror and recognised the familiar stare I had seen on the TV. It was the man himself!  After shaddowing me for around a mile, he swept past and waved nonchalantly . I respectfully kept my speed constant and allowed him to go on his way. Upon my return home, I googled  Mr Hill to try to find out what he was up to after F1 and found that he ran a BMW car dealership amongst other things, it therefore made sense for him to be riding BMWs flagship to and from Silverstone for his various duties at the track. I think it was somethng to do with the british racing drivers ( BARC?) at Silverstone or maybe track management which was the reason for him being there. I always thought F1 drivers drove helicopters or private jets everywhere.

Rocker66

I know Schuey and quite a few other F1 drivers rode bikes on a regular basis.