Sign in to follow this  
electric_monk

Tyre valve stem

electric_monk

Can anyone tell me what size the tyre valve stem is?

fj_stuart

Every bike with tubeless tyres I've had has TR412 valves. These fit in a 11.5mm hole in the rim and are 22mm long. These are shorter than the ones used in cars. 30p a time from the auction site.

If you are replacing a valve chop the old one off with a knife. Fit the new one by pulling it through with a valve tool. You don't have to remove the tyre but obviously you have to break the bead to get the valve in.

• Like 1

embee

As above, TR412 is what I use, I get tyre stuff from a seller called somersetcommercials on the auction site.

To cut the old valve bend it over as hard as you can and slice with a sharp knife, they cut very easily like that.

You really do need a fitting tool to pull the new ones in. The slightly tricky thing with bike wheels is that the valve points directly radially at the hub, so getting the tool off the valve can be awkward (it unscrews). I bought one and modified it so the threaded cap which screws onto the valve can rotate separately from the lever, allowing it to be unscrewed easily. I use this tyre lube, and use it for the valves. It works very well, recommended. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/pro-clean-tyre-lube-388630/

The later NC wheels use a bolt-in right angle valve, but they are slightly silly money https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/42755MKAD81

Tex

Triumph will sell you right angle valves for £9:65. On bikes with twin discs they’re an absolute God send (the front discs on a Street Triple are nearly as big as the rims, for example) but with a single disc you can simply go in from the ‘other’ side.

0-F6-F5803-78-F5-4235-BD0-B-CFFEC3-E232-

outrunner

My 2016 750x has right angled valves fitted as standard.

Andy.

electric_monk
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 09:46, Tex said:

Triumph will sell you right angle valves for £9:65. On bikes with twin discs they’re an absolute God send (the front discs on a Street Triple are nearly as big as the rims, for example) but with a single disc you can simply go in from the ‘other’ side.

0-F6-F5803-78-F5-4235-BD0-B-CFFEC3-E232-

That's exactly the route i'm taking..

Thanks for the responses.