To DCT or not that is the question.

colin1450

Graham NZ

Gareth, I agree that a cruise control would be good. Prolific set and mobile speed cameras are here too.

Most of the time we are allowed a 9km/h over limit tolerance but only 4 at holiday times.

Speedos are typically 6% optimistic and with my modern car and bikes a true 100km/h + 9km/h as shown on a GPS is 116km/h on the speedos.

The NC engines seem to have a light flywheel effect and are difficult to hold a steady speed on compared with thumpers like Harley twins.

All those beautiful empty roads with unbelievable scenery its a shame you have any speed limits !! When I was there I wasn't into biking so really didn't make the most of it in a biking way, so to speak. What a great place to live.

• Like 1

Hi Graham, I did PM you but perhaps your mail box is full, I'll be in NZ on a bike for two weeks in March, South island based out of first Christchurch and then Queenstown, any suggestions for roads/places off the usual tour routes would be most welcome

Cheers - Trevor

• Like 1

I've owned a VStrom 650, NC750X DCT and now a Tracer 700. VStrom was fine with a pillion - toured France fully loaded but it was top heavy and a bugger in car parks. NC was economical and practical - never rode pillion but I thought the suspension was shocking, newer models are better I believe. DCT takes getting used but the latest version is better than the original and I might be tempted if only the thing had a bit more power. The Tracer is light, low slung, plenty of poke and economical but if my hand gets any worse I will be looking at getting a Rekluse clutch fitted. Also, maximum  carrying weight is 180kg which is two small people plus underpants - luckily I do not take pillions these days so I can put plenty of pants in the panniers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
14 minutes ago, Trev said:

Hi Graham, I did PM you but perhaps your mail box is full, I'll be in NZ on a bike for two weeks in March, South island based out of first Christchurch and then Queenstown, any suggestions for roads/places off the usual tour routes would be most welcome

Cheers - Trevor

When you are in Queenstown visit Kinross Cottages - restaurant and rooms. My son is head chef. Mention my name and they will double the prices.:angel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
15 minutes ago, baben said:

When you are in Queenstown visit Kinross Cottages - restaurant and rooms. My son is head chef. Mention my name and they will double the prices.:angel:

Thanks Glendon, I'll make sure that's  deffo (we're in Queentown for 8 nights) but won't fess up to knowing you until after I've had the bill :thumbsup:

listener
3 hours ago, Trev said:

Thanks Glendon, I'll make sure that's  deffo (we're in Queentown for 8 nights) but won't fess up to knowing you until after I've had the bill :thumbsup:

Maybe if you say, "That Glendon Franklin's a right <CENSDORED>!", you'll get it for FREE ! :devil::lol:

Graham NZ

Trev

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM.  Basically I don't know what to tell you but here we go.

The whole country is great to ride and the weather in March should be at its best.

For the better winding roads I prefer the North Island.  It may not have the same level of postcard scenery as the South Island but there is still plenty to see.  Include the Coromandel Peninsular, Te Mata Peak near Napier and Castle Point near Masterton, Wairarapa.  A circuit of the central volcanic mountains of Ruapehu, Ngaurahoe and Tongariro is a fine day ride, as is a circuit of Mt Taranaki.  If it's in the mood Ruapehu might be smoking a little.  The Southward Car Museum near Levin in the south has my Hybrid special on display.

Avoid Auckland city as much as possible.  Unless you like riding through traffic lights every minute or two.  It's also the most air polluted place in NZ.

I like to circuit the whole South Island and to include all the major mountain chain crossings; Lewis Pass, Arthurs Pass, Lindis Pass and Hast Pass.  In the North, ride out over the Takaka mountains to the Golden Bay area, Collingwood and Cape Farewell.  In the South, include the Catlins area to the west of Invercargill.  There is a fine bike museum in Invercargill.  The southern lakes area is great riding and a boat day trip in Milford Sound is a must but the road to it is bus-busy so be careful.

While Australia is the place to see birds, we have a few here and our Kereru native pigeon can be a riding hazard around Wellington and the west coast of the South Island.

Our roads away from the state highways are often pretty clear of traffic (and the law) and great for riding.  In March watch for melting bitumen which can move under the wheels and where the surface has become slick is lethal when wet.

Will you be with a group?  What will you be riding?

Maybe we can meet up.

Thanks Graham, lots for me to look into there, much appreciated.

I will only be riding the South Island, just myself with wife as pillion on a Vstrom 650 for about two weeks. Would be good to catch for a natter, I'll pm you the dates to whether you'll be about.

Thanks again - Trevor

Graham NZ

Trev you can't miss with that combo.  Enjoy.

We're now getting the spinoff from the huge bushfires in Australia; unusually high temperatures and high altitude haziness.  Heatwave conditions are forecast which will make much of the country very hot and dry especially in Marlborough and central Otago where there is excellent riding.

In March think 'hot' so best to dress for that.  Hot here means high 30s but 40s can occur.

Near Dunedin there is a famous Albatross breeding ground worth visiting.  Dunedin and Christchurch are lovely cities to visit.

I'm really envious but these days my old mates and I are past riding day after day.

Easter 2020,  11 and 12 April is the Wanaka airshow of historic aircraft.  Worth seeing if you can manage it.

I’m on my second 750X DCT. Total mileage between the two is 33,000 and I only did a trade-in after 2 years because the dealer made me an offer I couldn’t refuse!

I use the bike for a 120 mile commute all year round, mostly on M ways and A roads and have had no issues with the DCT or anything else. I leave the bike in Drive mode and use the down and up shift buttons as needed within that mode. Want to overtake? Just tap the downshift button down and off you go. Approaching a roundabout at speed and don’t want to hammer the brakes? Again, tap the button down as you decelerate and complement your brakes with the engine. I have tried manual mode but for me it holds no advantages over the above method.

As for the seat, for me it was diabolical. I sorted that by fitting a Shad seat for £230.00. I can’t comment on pillion comfort but probably wouldn’t buy one of these as a serious two-up tourer; the new Goldwing DCT would be my choice!

Finally, my bikes have averaged 75-80 mpg on my style of riding which includes a lot of 70-80mph cruising.

Hpoe this helps.

B15

• Like 2
Graham NZ

Interesting, Black15.  D mode has the engine lugging too much for my liking but I agree that using manual overrides can alleviate that. For arthritis reasons I value no clutch lever and no brake lever and that is main the reason I bought my SD.  Overall I like DCT.

Rocker66
18 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Interesting, Black15.  D mode has the engine lugging too much for my liking but I agree that using manual overrides can alleviate that. For arthritis reasons I value no clutch lever and no brake lever and that is main the reason I bought my SD.  Overall I like DCT.

It must be interesting riding with no brake lever.😀

Graham NZ

Oops!  The wise amongst us will realise that I meant no gear lever.

• Like 1

Just thought you were brave or rode with no traffic .obviously I am not wise :0)

Edited by Tonyj
funkymoped

well on topic , i'm on my 5th dct. had the 700x  followed by two 750x's an XADV an now the 750s. all of which have done what they are are supposed to do. i ride mostly in 'D' mode always have . with the odd dabble into 's3  for a play. the only time i have any dissagreement with DCT is slow tight turns , eg. hare pin bends . and it want's to keep changing up a gear then back down an up again. so i just put into manual mode to hold the gears. i did notice the gearbox's getting better as they progressed , the XADV was the best as they have tuned it slightly . 

• Like 2
Graham NZ

Tony

I use both brakes a lot.  I'm a believer that 'brakes are for slowing and gears are for going.'

I rate the rear brake as pretty good and front as could be a lot better.

My left hip is past it's best-by-date so I use my right leg to hold the bike upright when stopping.  That inhibits using the rear brake when finally coming to a stop.  I looked into the possibility of setting up a left-bar rear-brake lever but so far haven't found a conversion which will work with the parking brake lever in place.  Any suggestions about this welcome.

12 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

…...  I looked into the possibility of setting up a left-bar rear-brake lever but so far haven't found a conversion which will work with the parking brake lever in place.  Any suggestions about this welcome.

Have you ruled out the Integra rear brake? I haven't looked into it at all so have no real idea how it would sit with the S/X park brake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2 pennies - been riding the DCT AT for 3 years, after the first couple of days it becomes the norm and is seamless up and down the gears, GOD knows how it knows I am going downhill but it does!  Only very very slight downside or probably me being rubbish is when off-road and crossing rivers/fjords I wanted to pull the clutch and use clutch and throttle for fine control which you obviously can’t do. Think it’s just brain training to use back brake instead..

• Like 2
Rocker66
13 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Oops!  The wise amongst us will realise that I meant no gear lever.

Yes I did realise that which is why my comment was followed by a smiley face indicating that it was a light hearted comment.

• Like 1
MikeBike
13 hours ago, funkymoped said:

the only time i have any dissagreement with DCT is slow tight turns , eg. hare pin bends . and it want's to keep changing up a gear then back down an up again. so i just put into manual mode to hold the gears.

Assuming you mean a really tight hairpin, just slow down into the bend and then keep the revs at 1500 and use the rear brake to control speed and it works a treat can turn full lock if necessary.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 2

Glendon, can you ask your son if they have a vacancy for any dishwashers , I'll be on the next polluting plane out. Trev,  what a great holiday planned wish I could join you, you may not even want to come back to Old Blighty.

• Haha 1
listener
14 hours ago, MikeBike said:

Assuming you mean a really tight hairpin, just slow down into the bend and then keep the revs at 1500 and use the rear brake to control speed and it works a treat can turn full lock if necessary.

I found I had no problem going up and down the Bealach na Ba, earlier this year, on my NC750X DCT.

In fact, I had one less thing to worry about - stalling the bike due to crap clutch control.

It did mean I had more time to worry about bailing out over the side though! :frantics::cry:

• Like 1