Fairing Fasteners.

AJT

I've just changed the air filter on my 2015 NC750X and I've managed to break several of the back plastic trim clip fastener things that hold the fairing parts together. Is there a better alternative to these, that's easy to remove and doesn't break? What would you recommend?

I would go OE... Not as if they are on and off regular, plus as they are not threaded or have the metal tab you cant go 1/4 turn dzus or some such.

Find the part number from a site such as fowlers parts, then check the bay...

...and take more care next time... But at least you will have some spares!

Edited by DCTPaul

You mean the round black plastic push-n-click jobbies? How are you trying to remove them?

Push the centre pin carefully in until it clicks and it will release the claws (don't push it right through, it'll get lost), the fastener then lifts out. Reset the pin outwards so it projects a few mm, insert the plug and press the pin in flush when it will click into place and lock the fastener.

Sorry if this is teaching egg-sucking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Bigglesaircraft

Plenty of different sizes available on the river site and not expensive.

• Like 1

I have no trouble with the fasteners it’s the myriad of plastic clips moulded on to the panels that seem impossible to remove or replace without damaging them. I found the panels on the Yamaha the easiest to remove and replace and remarkably the only time I didn’t break anything. The Integra had to be the most difficult and the Suzuki is so complex I cannot even work out how to remove most of them. Suzuki won’t release a workshop manual to the public so I guess it’s a way to restrict servicing to their dealer network. The addendum to the online resources for the 2017-2019 model has not surfaced yet.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I think I have the hang of them now. I hadn't realized you need to push the middle in. I was trying to prize the prongs up, assuming the center would then pop out. Anyway, while looking for replacements, I found these: 10x 6mm Plastic Trim Panel Clips- Replaces Honda 90687-SB0-013

cb5bb7bc2364f380841966e15f80a25d.jpg

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/10x-6mm-Plastic-Trim-Panel-Clips-Replaces-Honda-90687-SB0-013/291973082149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

15 hours ago, AJT said:

Thank you all for your replies. I think I have the hang of them now. I hadn't realized you need to push the middle in. I was trying to prize the prongs up, assuming the center would then pop out. Anyway, while looking for replacements, I found these: 10x 6mm Plastic Trim Panel Clips- Replaces Honda 90687-SB0-013

cb5bb7bc2364f380841966e15f80a25d.jpg

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/10x-6mm-Plastic-Trim-Panel-Clips-Replaces-Honda-90687-SB0-013/291973082149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are similar in style and operation to those on the bodywork of my 89 Dominator. They work well. 

I've just received delivery of the screw-in fasteners and I'm not entirely impressed. They work well sometimes but in some locations, they just spin around when I try to tighten them up. I've tried tightening them a little before pushing them in but that doesn't help. Maybe a star washer would be the answer.

I can't remember whether the fasteners are 6mm or 7mm diameter, they come in a variety of sizes. You can get the same pattern ones as the OE type either on the auction site or at places like https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/

• 6 months later...

I also just got caught out by the mystery of these clips but it seems the secret is to pull the two parts of the insert that expand out just a little bit more then they allow the centre to go back through, after which they can be reinserted.

FYI Land-Rover Defender also uses a similar but simpler version for a 6mm hole with just a round pin to push through the centre to expand it and back again to remove/refit.

Gringo

Personally I hate the darn things. As you may see on another thread I'm struggling to remove side panels etc to fit an eScottOiler. Despite many great bits of advice and videos etc from the guys in here I have now officially given up until such times as I can be shown. I'm sh1t scared of breaking something.