wpbrown

BMW R1200R anyone?

wpbrown

After my little heart attack episode I'm looking to possibly change my CBF1000 GT to a BMW R1200R.

I do love the CBF1000 but thinking it may be a little too heavy and carries it's weight higher than the BMW, although the CBF feels light enough on the move. I've had the CBF stripped down (panels removed) and thoroughly cleaned and ACF50'd for the winter and don't expect to be on it again until the New Year; or maybe if I get a bit of strength up ad it's a nice crisp and dry day! Realistically I probably won't be touring too much again.

I've been looking at post 2015 R1200R's with all the goodies; cruise, quick shifter, electronic suspension.

Did all the reviews on the tube etc. and generally good. Any comments from you knowledgeable folk who may have had one?

Thank you, 

Paul.

• Like 2

alhendo1

I had a test ride on one a while ago. I thought it was a great bike....handled really well, very quick well balanced bike....I'd definately recommend one if it's what you're after....now I'm sure recently someone on here posted up about the electronic suspension only being warranted to 30k miles ....it was on another thread somewhere. ..so I'd check what the 2 year used BMW warranty included....if you're buying from approved used BM of course....

• Like 1

Exceledsteve

I borrowed one while my F800ST was in for a service a few years ago... one of the pre 2015 models with the telelever front suspension. I didn't want to give it back. I found it really relaxing to ride and it felt like a 'proper' motorbike with proper motorbike sensations. I've wanted one ever since. If I were to buy a BMW again it would be one of these (1200/1250R) or the R1250RS. It's on my "one day" list... near the top.

• Like 2

fred_jb
31 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

I had a test ride on one a while ago. I thought it was a great bike....handled really well, very quick well balanced bike....I'd definately recommend one if it's what you're after....now I'm sure recently someone on here posted up about the electronic suspension only being warranted to 30k miles ....it was on another thread somewhere. ..so I'd check what the 2 year used BMW warranty included....if you're buying from approved used BM of course....

I'm not sure if this applies to the two year dealer warranty on BMW approved used bikes, but if you take out the extended warranty once the original or dealer warranty expires then I believe the ESA electronic suspension warranty is limited to 30k miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

alhendo1
33 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

I'm not sure if this applies to the two year dealer warranty on BMW approved used bikes, but if you take out the extended warranty once the original or dealer warranty expires then I believe the ESA electronic suspension warranty is limited to 30k miles.

Thanks Fred....I remember you posting it now.....I just thought it would be worth the OP investigating it as I'd imagine it's an exspensive thing to rectify were it to fail.

• Like 1

wpbrown

What's the "OP" ? Old Person? :ermm:

30k warranty would do me over 10 years so that's ok!

listener
21 minutes ago, wpbrown said:

What's the "OP" ? Old Person? :ermm:

Original Poster - get with the times grandpa! :P:D

Edited by listener
  • Haha 3

fred_jb
1 hour ago, alhendo1 said:

Thanks Fred....I remember you posting it now.....I just thought it would be worth the OP investigating it as I'd imagine it's an exspensive thing to rectify were it to fail.

Yes, about £1500 for a replacement rear shock I believe.

• Sigh 1

larryblag

After our fall from the 1200RT one consideration was fitting the low suspension option. Sadly the prohibitive cost for such a conversion + loss of ESA made it a non starter especially as it was a pcp bike. :bye:

But both the R and RS I could easily manage and plant both feet flat on either of those. 

The HD Lowrider was 300+ kg yet I managed that easily too due to it's low seat height. The Tracer was slightly tall for me but easy to manage too for the opposite reason (less than 200kg fully fueled). It's only when a bike is both heavy and tall that I have issues. And then it's only when stationary or when pushing it about. On the move, most bikes lose their weight surprisingly effectively. 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 2

Mr Toad
9 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Yes, about £1500 for a replacement rear shock I believe.

Everyone like to scare the kids with horror stories and yes, if you go to BMW they will gladly relieve you of over a grand but you'd need your bumps feeling if you did that.

There are places that will repair and rebuild them for a couple of hundred quid. Less than many people spend on a slip on exhaust!

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/bmw-esa-electronic-suspension-adjustment-servicing/

https://wilberssuspension.co.uk/wilbersesa.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tex

R1200R? Lovely bike - I’d have one! :niceone:

• Like 2

Argyll

I had the lovely Twin Cam version - absolutely brilliant touring bike, perhaps the best that I've owned. Only sold it as it didn't have ABS, which everyone said I should have (ie wife), even although the standard brakes were phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2