Sign in to follow this  
sams700

What defines a good deal?

sams700

I know this could be as long as a piece of string- but I want a bike I can ride all year and something newer than 2006, due to London ULEZ.

Two bikes have caught my eye - Tracer/ T-700 or Triumph scrambler

Unfortunately both are too new to find any s/h deals - so what would constitute a good deal from a dealer?

Thanks 

neojynx

I think ULEZ is generally newer than 2008, but there are exceptions..  BMW R1200RT  any year is okay I believe.. not sure about others, there is a list out there.

outrunner

One mans good deal is another mans nightmare so whatever is best/suits you is the best deal in my opinion.

Andy.

bigk

I have found that October/November are the best months to to buy a bike and have done so on a number of occasions. Dealers are generally very quiet this time of year and are prepared to "do a deal". You can always make a cheeky offer if you see a bike you fancy. What have you got to lose?

Deals are usually better if you have no part exchange.

Keith

embee

A bike needs only to meet the NOx limits for ULEZ exemption (0.15gm/km), which many older bikes do. See https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/ for example. If you can find out what the NOx emissions are on the V5C you can get an exemption. I'm sure somewhere someone has compiled a list of bikes (models/years) which have already achieved this.

slowboy
10 hours ago, embee said:

A bike needs only to meet the NOx limits for ULEZ exemption (0.15gm/km), which many older bikes do. See https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/ for example. If you can find out what the NOx emissions are on the V5C you can get an exemption. I'm sure somewhere someone has compiled a list of bikes (models/years) which have already achieved this.

Yep, several of the C90 group I belong to have had their C90's tested (£175.00 mind) and been granted ULEZ compliance exemption.

sams700

I can’t be bothered with the testing as they may change it to Euro 5 and I fancy something easier than the Harley, if I am being honest

embee

You don't need to have it tested as long as the certified NOx level was below the ULEZ limit. In their wisdom (??) they only required NOx compliance when setting ULEZ limits, they could have applied a overall compliance standard, Euro3 or 4 or whatever, but they didn't. If the V5C (or Certificate of Compliance from the manufacturer) says less than 0.15gm/km NOx you can apply for exemption, a paperwork exercise and not particularly demanding. Before a certain date the certification figures for NOx for some vehicles was not documented, in which case they can be tested independently at approved/recognised facilities. An awful lot of pre-Euro 4 bikes comply, as Brian says even stuff like early C90s, or I've heard someone had a Suzuki RG500 tested and it passed the NOx limit.

It's worth understanding that NOx emissions are highly load/temperature and mixture (A/F ratio) dependent. If the engine runs rich the raw NOx emissions can be almost nil, oxides of nitrogen only form in areas of combustion where there is excess oxygen. If the combustion produces negligible NOx in the cylinder ("raw" emissions) it doesn't need any sort of after-treatment such as a catalytic converter to lower the tailpipe emissions. An old carb engine running rich will produce almost no NOx (it'll make loads of HC and CO, and probably soot as well), so could well meet the ULEZ NOx limit. As I said, I wouldn't question the wisdom of the authorities who decided on the ULEZ requirements, one would presume they understood what they were doing.

You just need to find out what the NOx level was for the particular bike you are considering. Of course, as you say, there's no guarantee the ULEZ requirements won't change in future, but that's a known unknown so to speak.