larryblag

Yamaha Tenere 700

larryblag

They do rather like it :D

• Like 1

outrunner

A friend of mine in Bristol has just bought one and he does a LOT of off road stuff so will wait to see what he says about it.

Andy.

• Like 2

poldark

Hot cakes at the moment, helps that they seem to have pitched the capability v price balance about right.

When so many other brands are adding unecessary complexity & capability to justify £12k+ pricing.

• Like 2

larryblag

Yup, sounds like a bargain.

Sadly too tall for me - but I realise by it's very nature this particular genre of bike always will be in order to have the necessary amount of suspension travel to be considered a serious contender rather than a dressed up "scrambler" which only looks the part. 

Tenere Fitting Dept.

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 8

Grumpy old man

Did I hear that right? 16ltr tank will give a range of 140+ miles? that must be hard riding, I hope!

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Sigh 1

Andy m

Journalists tend to be very inconsiderate riders, they don't pay for the fuel and only keep the bikes a day. Some can actually be pretty poor riders, I once has the pleasure of drinking tea for three hours at MIRA while they picked up bits of Triumph from a corner we'd been putting busses through at 50 mph, but MCN fell off. Use the middle 4000 rpm and fuel consumption will be much better than journalists get trying to make sure they are first in line at the buffet. 

Scramblers are for dirt roads. MX bikes have high protected sumps to deal with deep ruts, rocks etc. and to give long travel. The style of these 700cc Behemoths is MX purely for fashion reasons. The Dakar bikes of the early 80's had to deal with dune crests at speed, so long travel was useful. Yamaha had MX parts to draw on. In real use riding on the few dirt roads in Europe a 250 is lighter and does the same 40 mph, but you won't be going any faster on a 700. A scrambler design would work perfectly well, but doesn't fit the marketing story, so will only ever be a dress-up of a "Classic" range. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr Toad

I have to say that I like it, a lot.

I liked the Tenere 660, the only thing that stopped me buying one was the off road bias, same for the wonderful Africa Twin. I'm under no illusion that 99% of my riding these days is on road so wanted the comforts and toys like cruise control etc. offered by the GS. Out of all the toys the killer App, so to speak, is definitely cruise control. If it was available on the AT there'd be one in garage and the Tenere 700 would be a serious contender for the future. 

I think the quoted range of 135 to 160 is very low for a bike that's capable of taking you to some of the harder to reach corners of the earth and while getting fuel is easy pretty much everywhere most of us will ever go it's still a faf if range is short. The range on my T100 is 150 if I take it as far as I'm comfortable with, the light comes on between 125 and 135 and on the few long trips I've done on it I seemed to constantly filling up especially if I'm not sure that there's going to be anywhere between the light coming on and running out.  

Perhaps the range is deliberate and in the near future they will mimic BMW and offer a version with a bigger tank, for a price of course. :)  

It'll sell well, or I hope it does because that means I should be able to pick one up second hand at some point.

• Like 3

larryblag

Yes. We'll done Yamaha I reckon. 

Anything which can topple the usual fare from it's perch will keep them from being overly complacent. 

baben

They are using the same formula as with the Tracer - Brilliant motor, minimum electrickery, light weight. I reckon 200 miles will be easy if the motor is the same as the MT07 etc. Not for me but then I have Baby for any dirty work. (same idea - brilliant ie manic motor, legal minimum electrickery, even less weight  and a 17 ltr tank)

• Like 2

embee

Looks a really good product if you are in that market sector. As Glendon says, there's no real reason why fuel consumption should be significantly different to an MT-07 (riding style allowing), and Fuelly shows they're averaging somewhere round 68mpg (imp) in real life, so the 16 lt tank should easily give you 200+ mile usable range.

• Like 3

larryblag
10 hours ago, larryblag said:

Yup, sounds like a bargain.

Sadly too tall for me - but I realise by it's very nature this particular genre of bike always will be in order to have the necessary amount of suspension travel to be considered a serious contender rather than a dressed up "scrambler" which only looks the part. 

Tenere Fitting Dept.

Apologies to Cartoon Stock who I nicked the photo off. Naughty of me but it's only shared on here. :angel:

• Like 1

Tonyj

It’s ok the cartoon is of French people , look at their noses :0)

• Haha 1

larryblag

Haw haw haw! :D

listener

The guy applying the 'height adjustment' appears to be a Harley rider. :whistle::D

• Haha 2

Tonyj
1 hour ago, listener said:

The guy applying the 'height adjustment' appears to be a Harley rider. :whistle::D

nah looks more like a real ale drinker to me ...and the bloke on the rack is most probably a bmw rider whose just come off pcp and needs to find the extra for the warranty 

Edited by Tonyj
  • Haha 2

dazznutts

Sat on one today and i had to tippy toe At 6ft 2in i found it too high

• Sad 1

slowboy

879mm, compared to my 250 Rally at 895mm. And I'm 6'1" but with 34" inside leg.

there is a low seat height option on the Yam of 875, so all of 4mm less.

An NC750x is 830, some 49mm or 2" less.

but the Tenere and the Rally are very slim, (as indeed am I) which helps.😁😇

And they both squish down a bit once you're sat on them.

None of which helps if you're not comfortable on them though☹️

• Like 1

Woody 99
On 08/11/2019 at 17:49, larryblag said:

Apologies to Cartoon Stock who I nicked the photo off. Naughty of me but it's only shared on here. :angel:

What was the original quote on the cartoon? 

P.S. are you now back on two wheels?

• Like 1

larryblag
4 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

What was the original quote on the cartoon? 

P.S. are you now back on two wheels?

"I love these confessional shows" :D

Nope, still only four wheels until I start feeling better. 

It's very therapeutic though - looking... :ahappy:

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1

fred_jb
On 09/11/2019 at 22:24, slowboy said:

879mm, compared to my 250 Rally at 895mm. And I'm 6'1" but with 34" inside leg.

there is a low seat height option on the Yam of 875, so all of 4mm less.

An NC750x is 830, some 49mm or 2" less.

but the Tenere and the Rally are very slim, (as indeed am I) which helps.😁😇

And they both squish down a bit once you're sat on them.

None of which helps if you're not comfortable on them though☹️

It is amazing how height to inside leg measurements can vary.  I am also 6' 1" but my inside leg is only 31" as I have a long back.   My weird proportions are a double whammy so far as bikes are concerned.  My shortish legs mean a lower seat height is desirable, hence I had the low chassis version of the GS, but my long back means that my head ends up higher that other people of my height, presumably about 3" higher compared to you Brian, so I always find bike screens too low and have to replace them.  

• Thanks 1

baben
52 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

It is amazing how height to inside leg measurements can vary.  I am also 6' 1" but my inside leg is only 31" as I have a long back.   My weird proportions are a double whammy so far as bikes are concerned.  My shortish legs mean a lower seat height is desirable, hence I had the low chassis version of the GS, but my long back means that my head ends up higher that other people of my height, presumably about 3" higher compared to you Brian, so I always find bike screens too low and have to replace them.  

I am six foot with a 31 leg too. Makes life fun. I call it my orang utang look.

• Haha 2

SteveThackery

Yep, I'm exactly the same.  Stumpy legs, long back, shirts always pulling out of the trousers.  That's why I never got a job as a male model, I expect.

PS: Where do you guys get long-bodied shirts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tex

It’s shirt sleeves I have trouble with! Sodding things are always way too short. :( 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

baben
6 minutes ago, Tex said:

It’s shirt sleeves I have trouble with! Sodding things are always way too short. :( 

More of a gibbon then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

fred_jb
1 hour ago, SteveThackery said:

Yep, I'm exactly the same.  Stumpy legs, long back, shirts always pulling out of the trousers.  That's why I never got a job as a male model, I expect.

PS: Where do you guys get long-bodied shirts?

Have never been able to find long bodied shirts, so ones that won't stay tucked in I just wear untucked.  Wearing shirts loose helps disguise the surplus pounds around the waist anyway!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3