larryblag

Hmm?

Tonyj
1 hour ago, baben said:

Is that the place outside Long Melford?

I’m not sure of the local place names but it’s called reiten bmw , Cavendish. 
yes , I’ve just googled it :0). David is his name . South African bloke very handy on a bike 

baben

Been there Tony. Seem a decent bunch of guys, not the usual BMW lizard types. They did a free BBQ at weekends over the summer and I went down with a chap who wanted to test a few bikes - he fell in love with an RT but dunno how he got on. Not heard or seen him for a while.  Actually that would be a good place for a forum meet up next year, great fun if we could get Andy M in to see if he spontaneously combusts in the presence of a BMW......

Edited by baben
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

riders in the storm
3 hours ago, larryblag said:

Nope. It's deffo the 650.

Honestly, I hated the look when it came out (like a landlocked dolphin). But it's funny how perception changes over time. 

It's a one owner 4k miles and looks straight our of its packing crate. Is actually the XT spec except for the alloy wheels (previous owner must have seen sense and insisted they were swapped). 

Ah sorry, it was the lack of the gold spoked wheels that threw me. I can't see any sensible reason anyone buy an XT but delete the spoked wheels, but agree, it looks immaculate.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

Sorry to hear about the troubles Phil, here's hoping it's nothing serious. Always ready for a chat about anything should you like. 

• Thanks 1

listener
4 hours ago, larryblag said:

until I'm feeling me again

Whatever you do don't do THAT in a public place - you'll get locked up. :whistle:

Blimey, drinking Jam Do'nut Ale proves that you're barking mad! :P

Seriously though, good luck with your diagnosis. :goodluck:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

larryblag
1 hour ago, listener said:

Whatever you do don't do THAT in a public place - you'll get locked up. :whistle:

Tonyj
2 hours ago, baben said:

Been there Tony. Seem a decent bunch of guys, not the usual BMW lizard types. They did a free BBQ at weekends over the summer and I went down with a chap who wanted to test a few bikes - he fell in love with an RT but dunno how he got on. Not heard or seen him for a while.  Actually that would be a good place for a forum meet up next year, great fun if we could get Andy M in to see if he spontaneously combusts in the presence of a BMW......

Fred could go and mingle freely :0) . David who owns it is a good bloke . Very tidy rider , old racer from SA and been involved with bikes forever but he’s full of surprises . Doing a roaring trade , think it’s down to his openness. 
he also does a ride out which is well attended.

• Like 3

thwartedEfforts

He also holds my local firebike course. As you say, a thoroughly decent old school character and am glad to hear he's doing well. Ex BMW and ex SA copper before that.

• Like 2

macamx

Had a couple of these, great bikes but very top hevy when fully fuelled. Hope all goes well for you. My confidence deserted me also this year after a lifetime on bikes and coupled with sometimes searching for a word which sends me into a pannick I fully appreciate your concerns. I think and hope that it is just a noticable step change in the ageing process. However unlike your good self any thought of motorcycling fills me with horror which given the number of years and the mileage that I covered is very concerning. I have tried to rationalise this but as yet unsuccessfully.

Geoff.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Andy m
18 hours ago, baben said:

Andy M in to see if he spontaneously combusts in the presence of a BMW......

I might rupture something laughing at the latest comedy system. They may have run out of ideas though. How do you top the drive shaft spline, three thumb indicators, servo brakes, CANBUS, gear-chain-cable-electric throttles, ring piece antennae, load bearing lip seals, ....... 😁😁

Andy

• Haha 4

fred_jb

My wife and I, and most of our friends have exactly the same issues with trying to remember names and sometimes words.  I don't think we can all be heading towards dementia so I prefer to believe that this is just part of the aging process.  Personally I've always been hopeless at remembering names anyway, but good with telephone numbers and other numeric information.  For example I can still remember the wi-fi router password from the apartment in Sitges we rented from our friend a few weeks age.  (I logged into it to change the wi-fi channel to something different to all the other apartments in the block as they all seemed to have defaulted to the same channel, so potentially interfering with each other.)

PS:  benefit of reaching 65 a few weeks ago - cheaper tickets to Motocycle Live - only £12 for oldies like me.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

fred_jb
6 minutes ago, Andy m said:

I might rupture something laughing at the latest comedy system. They may have run out of ideas though. How do you top the drive shaft spline, three thumb indicators, servo brakes, CANBUS, gear-chain-cable-electric throttles, ring piece antennae, load bearing lip seals, ....... 😁😁

Andy

You could be right that they are running out of things to get wrong.  I've done 16k+ miles on their latest recent efforts over the last three years without incident, except for one occasion when the keyless fuel cap refused to lock - possibly heat related.  Having said that the detaching Telelever stanchions and collapsing spoked wheels are more recent than the old stuff on your list - perhaps you need to update it! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spindizzy
15 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

My wife and I, and most of our friends have exactly the same issues with trying to remember names and sometimes words.  I don't think we can all be heading towards dementia so I prefer to believe that this is just part of the aging process.  Personally I've always been hopeless at remembering names anyway, but good with telephone numbers and other numeric information.  For example I can still remember the wi-fi router password from the apartment in Sitges we rented from our friend a few weeks age.  (I logged into it to change the wi-fi channel to something different to all the other apartments in the block as they all seemed to have defaulted to the same channel, so potentially interfering with each other.)

PS:  benefit of reaching 65 a few weeks ago - cheaper tickets to Motocycle Live - only £12 for oldies like me.

Same here. I can quote most of the part numbers for certain aircraft parts but peoples names escape me so much its embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

Andy m
11 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

keyless fuel cap refused to lock - possibly heat related.  

Now how have I managed for 28 years having to transfer the key from ignition to filler cap every time I fill up? Think of what I could have achieved if I could get the time back, I could boil an egg or something. 

Think Hondasan had this in 1973 though

Triumph wheels had issues. F650 fork stanchions are scary, but it's the first I've heard of telepalaver having issues. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Two videos???
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Rocker66
1 hour ago, fred_jb said:

Like you Fred I sometimes have trouble remembering the odd word and have always been poor at remembering names. Strangely however I can often remember the name of a singer who was a one hit wonder back in the 60s.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sams700

Hope the visit goes ok as well and the diagnosis is more positive 

• Thanks 1

fred_jb
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Now how have I managed for 28 years having to transfer the key from ignition to filler cap every time I fill up? Think of what I could have achieved if I could get the time back, I could boil an egg or something. 

Think Hondasan had this in 1973 though

Triumph wheels had issues. F650 fork stanchions are scary, but it's the first I've heard of telepalaver having issues. 

Andy

For the 2017 GS/A model year (from Sept 2016) they changed the method of  attaching the Telelever stanchions.   To be more precise it seems they changed to type of crimping they used to attach the plug that goes into the top of the stanchion.  This plug holds the threaded bolt which goes though the bush in the top yoke, thereby attaching the top end of the stanchion to the steering.  The bush is rubberised to give some play and allow some flexing which is needed due to the slight geometry change as the axle follows a shallow arc on the end of the Telelever wishbone.

It seems that the stanchion was gradually working loose from the plug and and in extreme cases detaching entirely, causing the front wheel to fall over.  My theory is that changes in suspension setup or travel, and maybe a harder bush to give better steering feel, put more strain on the attachment, possibly using up all the compliance in the bush after which the stanchion itself has to flex, which the new crimp couldn't handle.  They recalled a lot of bikes, including mine, and fitted a interference fit collar over the crimp area, and changed the production method on later bikes.

The more recent collapsing spoked wheels were apparently again due to change in production resulting in spokes working loose on a grand scale - any more than I think 6 per wheel resulted in a warranty replacement wheel - up to six they just tightened the affected spokes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

listener
5 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Personally I've always been hopeless at remembering names anyway, but good with telephone numbers and other numeric information.

Snap, David ... errr Peter ... err Froddo! :whistle:

And yet I remember the registration number (LRS452) of a car from around 1973.

No not one of mine (I was 12yo). Not even a relatives'.

It was just a random car that we happened to see (it passed us 4-5 times in an hour) while in town that day.

I can also vividly remember sitting in the bath, around that same age, with brown liquid emitting from my gob and butt after wolfing down a load of buckies (that's winkles to you southerners) that turned out to be bad!

Yet I can struggle to remember what I had for supper two nights ago.

I can recite my first bike's reg.no. at the drop of a hat but have to think hard about my last two or three bikes.

Sorry, what were we taking about ... ? :unsure::oldfart:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tonyj

Loving the pragmatic way to deal with a vomiting/ pooing kid . Stick him in the bath .. good house keeping that .and to be honest I just thought Fred was like rain man:0)) ( not really Fred ) . I just put it down to I can’t be arsed to remember their names because they’ve moved out of my circle. 

• Haha 1

baben

I taught a kid with Aspergers who never forgot anyone's birthday. He also had an obsessive interest in road sign distances and if they failed to match up properly he would get very upset.

• Like 3

listener
22 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Loving the pragmatic way to deal with a vomiting/ pooing kid . Stick him in the bath .. good house keeping that 

It was out of necessity ...

My mother's boyfriend at the time had eaten most of the rest of the buckies (my mother and siblings were never keen on them).

He was sat on the loo, puking into the sink!

It put me off off all shellfish for around fifteen years - even the smell had me dry wretching.

I finally got over it in 1986, while working at Loch Duich, when I ate a prawn (and squat lobster) cocktail.

I'd helped haul up the creels, so I knew they were fresh! :thumbsup:

Edited by listener
  • Like 3

Tonyj

Was the same for me but it was saveloy . ( manky sausage ) like a hot dog . Probably because I was boozed. Didn’t eat them for years.then one morning driving along lime house basin went in percys under the arch and jumped back on the wagon . Jury’s out on the battered sausage.:0) 

cant eat them cockles or winkles , whelks no chance but recently had mussels and it’s been 30 plus years since I last ate them .

• Like 1

larryblag
17 hours ago, Andy m said:

Ring piece

Andy

:D:D:D

Mr Toad
On 11/8/2019 at 15:36, PoppetM said:

Have you forgotten where you have parked your Loco again?! 

No seriously, sorry I shouldn't be making light of it, I for one seriously hope the Counsellor is barking up the wrong tree.  :( 

Enjoy shopping, I still like looking at and sitting on bikes even if I am not buying and that is fairly similar to Network Rail colours  :thumbsup:

I think humour is important. When I got ill, and while they were still running diagnostics, I started to slur my speech and struggled to say things. I just couldn't get the words out, I knew what I wanted to say but my mouth wouldn't cooperate. 

One evening in the pub I was trying to say something and stalled when my daughter, who shares my sense of humour, started to try and guess what the word I was struggling with. Of course all her suggestions were completely ludicrous and pretty soon we were all laughing so hard it hurt. After that all my friends started doing it and it cheered me up no end. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're not well and hope you feel better soon. Let the vets do their thing and get better, I never expected to get well, at one point I thought it was good night Vienna. 

That slowly changed to I'll live but won't ever work again to well I'm back part time I wonder if I'll ever be well enough to work full time to deciding that I felt so well that I'd take early retirement and enjoy life as much as possible and here I am.

I never really expected to live this long.................................... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

baben

I rode the vomit thing in the middle of the North Sea. We had left Stavanger and run into a  Souwester gale. Not so bad in itself, reef down and beat against it as best you can, thump, crash, bang. Trouble was, the first mate was also cook and was utterly clueless re food hygiene. The tuna mayo salad was badly off as we all found out shortly afterwards. All four of us were sick as dogs, to the point where I was throwing up blood and death would have been a merciful release. After about thirty hours it eased off and we spent the next four days alternately becalmed and head butting another gale. Sleep was a rare commodity, especially after the autohelm failed and the binnacle light went kaput. The skipper did not sleep at all for five days. I did not eat anything for the whole trip, just drank hot cocoa on a regular basis. We finally made our home port of Wolverstone and piled into a taxi to get to the Freston Boot where we all ordered steak and the trimmings. The skipper fell asleep face down on his plate.  Happy memories!

• Like 4