Chain Rumble Noise

Staningrimsby

Staningrimsby

Hi All,

I have a 2013 NC700X that is my daily commuter, it does 66 miles a day 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.

The other day I heard quite a loud knocking noise when pulling away, I have had another look today and it's like a clunking noise every so often when pushing the bike (not in gear), noticed it mainly pushing backwards.

I adjusted the chain which was out quite a bit and put the bike on the center stand, spinning the rear wheel there is a lot of rumbling coming from the front sprocket.

Could it just be a new chain and sprockets needed or is the drive shaft kaput ?? if it helps I also seem to have some movement on the front sprocket I can rock it slightly even though it's at the correct torque.

Edited by Staningrimsby
Andy m

Honda sprockets "float" so the movement on that is probably normal. 

I assume there are no stiff links? 

Can you put it back to the previous adjustment and does it go away? Over tight is worse than slack and alignment seems a possibility? 

Andy

• Like 1

As Andy says, the gearbox sprocket has some endfloat with the bolt/washer tightened (the washer tightens against the end of the shaft not against the sprocket).

Sounds to me like the chain/sprockets are probably at the end of their life, but without pictures etc we can't tell. It's the most likely thing.

How many miles have the chain/sprockets done and what sort of condition are they in?

Loud knocking from the chain area is either the chain slapping against the swingarm due to excessive slack, or at worst the gearbox sprocket teeth are worn out and it's jumping teeth.

• Like 1

Some front sprockets, particularly OE have a rubber damping ring bonded to the sprocket - usually inboard... to reduce chain run noise...

Often omited on aftermarket sprockets...

This may of become worn, hence the greater noise...

• Like 1
Mr Toad
11 hours ago, DCTPaul said:

Some front sprockets, particularly OE have a rubber damping ring bonded to the sprocket - usually inboard... to reduce chain run noise...

Often omited on aftermarket sprockets...

This may of become worn, hence the greater noise...

When I swapped the front sprocket on the Bonneville I made sure that the replacement had the damping ring as the original did. 

Worn chains slightly overtightened can sound similar .   If no obvious stiff links and the chain is not `loose`on the rear sprocket (meaning stretched and worn chain) I would look at the front sprocket for hooking and jammed debris that can accumulate there with gooey chain lubes. I have often thought I have had terminal gearbox problems with worn chains . I have noticed good quality chains can outlast a front sprocket . Incidentally I have recently been using regina z chains which have lasted without stiffening links the longest out of all my try outs.

• Like 1

Mine sounds bad just before I eked out the last from the chain. After a chain and sprocket change it s always quiet again and smoother ;-)

i fit JT sprockets, cheaper than Honda and lastbthe life of the chain ok

• 3 weeks later...
motorbykcourier

Agree with comments - once the chain (any make) gets to 'that' point it does start to creak and sound awful especially when heading off.

For me, I tend to change chain & sprockets at ~25K miles. Nowadays it tends to be JT sprockets and Gold DID chain.

Honda sprockets seem to run quieter and a bit smoother

Cheap chains and sprockets have lasted me 3K miles - best is ~30K miles

• Like 1