Replacing the clutch cable

Iron horse

Iron horse

I bought a new clutch cable a while back as it was getting old and worn. Glad I did as it was in a much worse state than I realised when I came to change it. It was hanging on by just a couple of threads just inside the cable at the clutch end.

I would recommend changing at 24k almost like a service item. £20 for the cable and 20 mins to fit. Well worth it.

• Like 2

Did you check the angle of the dangle? If you look at the cable end holder thingy at the clutch end you will see it is not at 90deg to the pivot, you need to tweek the bracket

so it does not happen again. Some have gone far more quickly than 24k

Lyn.  I think Embee had to do this and there is a post about it..

• Like 2

I've done it on a couple of Deauvilles, the overall arrangement is the same with a steel bracket holding the cable outer abutment. Often the inner cable rubs at the exit because the alignment isn't quite perfect. The solution is highly technical ………….. bend the steel bracket until the cable runs as near centrally as you can get with minimal rubbing at an angle. It's usually ideal if you remove the steel bracket and do it in a vice, but it can be done in situ if you are sympathetic and don't butcher it. Item 5 here...……….

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750X-XA-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2015-NC750XAE-E_05.jpg.6e21d7afde61871420235b57a38d03ce.jpg

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
Grumpy old man

Funnily enough when I  did mine the man at the Honda dealers said it was the 1st one he had ever ordered🤔

I by passed the metal cable holder on the steering stem as I noticed wear issues internally there. I now carry a little slinky cable repair tin with me.. On my third cable at 76000 miles

I bought one when the bike got to about 50k and kept it in the frunk just in-case. About 60k the clutch lever kept developing a bit of play, decided to replace it the following weekend and sure enough, was hanging on by a few threads at the clutch lever end.

• 3 weeks later...

Just replaced mine at 30k. It only had a few threads left - clearly at the end of it's life. At £10.99 and 20 minutes work, I won't wait another 30k to replace this one.

Grumpy old man

10.99!!!?  I paid £21😪

trisaki

I carry one strapped in place alongside the original,  already lined up if needed to fit 

• Like 1