Front brake disc recomendations

rjp996

Hi,

It's looking like by front disc is at 4.1mm (limit is 4mm), so im on  the look out for a new front disc.

Went onto to look at the OEM Honda and they are £260 !!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations / experience with any alternative disc' as if I can get a quality part and not pay £260 all the better.

thanks

• Like 1

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2015/NC750XDE/Frame/FRONT-WHEEL/71541/F_11/2/25744

£137-80 list price.

Looks like it is a common part on pretty much all ABS NC bikes (note - non ABS is a different disc, it doesn't have cut-outs for the ABS pole wheel).

Brembo do them, a good quality well respected name, I believe the part number is 68B407G7 as shown here, but you need to double check it's the right one

https://www.carpimoto.it/en-GB/42356_68B407G7-Brembo-Serie-Oro-Brake-Rotor-68B407G7.htm

Listed at other UK places but a bit more expensive, I'm sure there are cheaper suppliers around

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/search/shop-by/q/68B407G7/

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/399559

You could check out EBC, I'm sure they do them.

• Like 1

thanks all - found another Honda website were you can search for parts based on your VIN https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/45251MGSD81 so probably the best way to do it - turns out the part number is the cheaper on thankfully, than shown on the Fowlers website.

£137 i can stomach ;-)

• Like 1

Just wondering how many miles you have done ?

Thanks Steve

11 hours ago, Steveg said:

Just wondering how many miles you have done ?

Thanks Steve

Its around 75,000 miles - think disc is down to 4.1mm now so has a bit of a lip - from memory I think its on its 3rd (maybe 4th) set of front pads. I think what really does it in for the front break is my trips to Bournemouth from Kent way as there are a number of spots where there are 70 mph to zero for roundabouts (especialy around Chichester) one after another were you can really feel (for) the front disc (I could be more sedate....). The breaks have done very well I believe as has the whole bike, its been a very good work horse 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have to accept the fact that discs are consumables.

I've just replaced the rear pads on a Merc 220 estate for a friend. The car went into the dealers for some other issue and they did a free safety check, with an advisory on the rear pads with a comment on the discs. Yeah, right! we thought, but lo and behold they were spot on with the advice. Pads were down to about 4mm, just a hair's breadth before the wear indicators would have triggered, and the discs were half worn. The new pads should see the discs out, so a full set next time expected.

Just the way they work.

£130 for a disc in 75k mls isn't a big deal I suppose (compared to probably about £5k in fuel used).

• Like 3
7 hours ago, embee said:

We have to accept the fact that discs are consumables.

I suspect (but don’t ‘know’) that’s because of the changes in friction materials. Back when I joined the motor trade (late sixties) I replaced loads of pads but hardly any discs. Friction linings had a good dose of asbestos in them, were ‘soft’ and wore much, much quicker than the iron discs/drums. Actually about the only times I replaced either discs or drums was when a careless owner allowed the friction material to wear down to the backing plate/rivets and score them.

Now, of course, friction materials are sintered metal and are just as hard as the steel discs. The pads last a lot longer, but when they wear out they take the discs with them. They work bloody well though, no way would I want to return to sixties level stopping power. No way at all! 

• Like 1
Andy m

Bike discs are not designed for longevity. Makes sense when you think most do less than 3000 miles a year and the owners will complain where there is surface rust after they leave it in the garage for 7 months. The pads are about the initial grab in the cold state to please journalists and anyone taking a test ride (which also explains the ludicrous twin discs on bike that never achieve 20% decel). Discs are also thin for aesthetic reasons and the silly flower shapes and cheese grater holes fashion demands mean less metal. At 75000 miles, you can hardly complain, most bikes would be scrap by then. If you can find a plain steel disc you'll double the life.

Truck discs are cast iron (by far the superior material if your aim is stopping) and last a typical 300000 miles.

The CL's brakes are honestly pointless, so while I think bike brakes peaked in about 1980 the modern stuff is really nothing to complain about. I'll take 2018 over 1973.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 4
Slowboy
4 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The CL's brakes are honestly pointless, so while I think bike brakes peaked in about 1980 the modern stuff is really nothing to complain about. I'll take 2018 over 1973.

Andy

The C90's front brake's only points are to provide somewhere convenient to attach the spokes and to act as a bowel loosener for the pilot

:frantics:

• Haha 9

I once had a New Hudson Autocycle, 98cc of Villiers fury through a single gear. The brake performance just about matched the acceleration, you could tell when the brakes were applied …….. but only just.

On 11/21/2019 at 09:42, rjp996 said:

Its around 75,000 miles - think disc is down to 4.1mm now so has a bit of a lip - from memory I think its on its 3rd (maybe 4th) set of front pads. I think what really does it in for the front break is my trips to Bournemouth from Kent way as there are a number of spots where there are 70 mph to zero for roundabouts (especialy around Chichester) one after another were you can really feel (for) the front disc (I could be more sedate....). The breaks have done very well I believe as has the whole bike, its been a very good work horse 

Can't argue with 75k out of disk 

• Like 1
On 22/11/2019 at 00:36, embee said:

£130 for a disc in 75k mls isn't a big deal I suppose (compared to probably about £5k in fuel used).

Murray.. did the maths, you are right £5k in fuel !!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Scootabout

Mine lasted about half that, and I don't consider myself heavy on the brakes. 

• 4 months later...

I’ve just replaced the two brakes discs on my Integra. Paid £51.00 (delivered from China) for the pair from the auction site. It’ll be interesting to see how long they last.

Grumpy old man

I've just ordered one for my Crf from EBC.

Here's the link but you'll need to call  I think they have things mixed up.

https://bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/info-parts?part-type=brakes&make=HONDA&model=NC+750+X+(NC+750+XAE%2F+ABS)&year=2014-2018&search=Part+Number

I like to buy EBC stuff direct and I’m pretty sure it’s made in Bristol. Nice to support a company that manufactures in the UK and their prices are usually very competitive. 

• Like 1
Defender
On 22/11/2019 at 09:05, slowboy said:

The C90's front brake's only points are to provide somewhere convenient to attach the spokes and to act as a bowel loosener for the pilot

:frantics:

The ultimate laxative perhaps, 

On 22/11/2019 at 13:11, embee said:

I once had a New Hudson Autocycle, 98cc of Villiers fury through a single gear. The brake performance just about matched the acceleration, you could tell when the brakes were applied …….. but only just.

Villiers fury, surly an oxymoron, or a old school fitness device, as you'd spend more time pushing it than riding?

A friend of mine had a Raleigh Runabout (or similar) and managed to get overtaken but a push bike mounted Policeman, whilst trying to ride up a hill on the A40, just outside Gerrards Cross! 

Defender
2 minutes ago, RC166 said:

I like to buy EBC stuff direct and I’m pretty sure it’s made in Bristol. Nice to support a company that manufactures in the UK and their prices are usually very competitive. 

I like EBC stuff to, I have an EBC floating disc conversion waiting to go on my '900 Scrambler along with an ex-Honda triple piston caliper conversion.

I've not had to replace either disc, but so far I've had the OEM pads form Honda/Nissin, then EBC & SBS pads and TBH the OEM Nissin pads were probably the best, so by the wonders of internet shopping I now have a set of both front and rear pads, at a very reasonable price ready for the next pad changes.

MatBin

When I ran an R80RT (into the ground, many years ago) and it wore out its (single front) disc I went to a well known BM breaker and got one from there, much less cost than a new one from BMW/Brembo.

When my replacement unreliable but beautiful K75S warped its ABS discs the BM dealer wanted to replace discs and wheel as a single unit, as they said it was impossible to get new discs to sit properly on an "old" wheel, eye watering price, plus 4 new pads of course. Solid non floating discs, what a wonderful design idea that was (amongst others).

Can you still get 2nd hand parts?

Edited by MatBin

46 minutes ago, MatBin said:

When my replacement unreliable but beautiful K75S warped its ABS discs the BM dealer wanted to replace discs and wheel as a single unit, as they said it was impossible to get new discs to sit properly on an "old" wheel, eye watering price, plus 4 new pads of course. Solid non floating discs, what a wonderful design idea that was (amongst others).

Far canal! A new wheel? Holy mother of God! :ermm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a recurring nightmare of not being able to get brakes to stop me, normally in a car. I never crash in to anything so assume it’s a self wind up. It could be the useless back brakes on most of the conventional bikes I have had over the last 8 years with the GS LC being the worst by far. 

• Like 1
Defender
4 hours ago, MatBin said:

When I ran an R80RT (into the ground, many years ago) and it wore out its (single front) disc I went to a well known BM breaker and got one from there, much less cost than a new one from BMW/Brembo.

3 hours ago, Tex said:

Far canal! A new wheel? Holy mother of God! :ermm:

I know that dealership well, Ripoff & Scarper?

• Haha 2