The red 4 way connector in the battery compartment

Mafew

Ok so hoping this hasn’t been covered previously but the red 4 way connector in the battery compartment? What is the intended use and can I use if for a switched power supply for GPS also any idea what the connector is called so I can buy the other half.. hope this makes sense 

Thanks mate appreciate it - Same type but red and only 4 way. I have had the voltmeter on it and it is switched with the ignition. Will put a photo on here if I can work out how. Very surprised not to have come across this on the site so far...

• Like 1
ChrisCB
12 minutes ago, Mafew said:

Thanks mate appreciate it - Same type but red and only 4 way. I have had the voltmeter on it and it is switched with the ignition. Will put a photo on here if I can work out how. Very surprised not to have come across this on the site so far...

The red 4 pin is the diagnostic link connector when bridged will display trouble codes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Chris - would have been very embarrassing wiring in my GPS to that! Only had the bike 2 days so just learning..

• Like 1

My GPS has a cradle that mounts to the bike and I wired it straight onto the battery (in line fuse). When I mount the GPS to the cradle it starts up and I remove it when I park the bike.  It works well for me especially with my R1200RT which is CANBUS and would be a nightmare to wire to a switched supply.

Bigglesaircraft
15 hours ago, Chris750 said:

The red 4 pin is the diagnostic link connector when bridged will display trouble codes.

Yes it some sort of diagnostic, data socket. I have the gear number indicator plugged in to it which apparently picks up the gear signal from the EMS.