Installing braided hoses at ABS motorbike

matt28

Bought set of braided hoses for my CR for really good price, planning to install them before Christmas.

Just wondering is there any difference between ABS and non-ABS motorbike during installation?

I assume that ABS pump may cause some issues.

Andy m

Brake hose is brake hose so long as it's new and rated for the fluid. Honestly I wouldn't disturb a working system just to bling up the hoses. If this was a hydraulic system on say a JCB it may be a good idea as the hoses (a wear item on this type of machine) will hold together better. A motorcycle hose is going to die of old age and exposure to the sun, so the braiding may do the job of shrink wrap. It is so short and at such a low pressure (normal brake application less than 50 bar) the bulge that sellers of such accessories will go on about is irrelevant in real life. If the braking threshold is high, replace the fluid and bleed it (which is what really makes fitters of new hoses claim miracles). 

ABS is just a solenoid controlled return loop, the pressures don't change. If we were talking full power hydraulic they would, but even the Bavarian loonies have so far failed to try something off a Pinzgauer or JCB on a bike. I'm sure they could, but MCN would complain about the panniers being full of accumulators and pumps. 

Andy

• Like 7

I guess the OP is referring to bleeding. I haven't tried to fill a bike ABS system from empty, I've only done it as a fluid replacement exercise. In that case I use the same process as for non-ABS, using a vacuum system to empty the reservoir then refill, and bleed through the lines. I usually go round them a couple of times, particularly for a combined system (e.g. do the rear, then do the front combined line, then go back and repeat. I don't know if a special procedure is given for filling a system from empty (ABS cycling?)

I'd always recommend a vacuum bleeding system, there are various versions available, rather than trying to do the pump the lever trick. I've lost count of reading tales of people having problems trying to bleed bike brakes and ending up with spongy levers, but insisting that you don't need those fancy vac bleeders. They just work, get one. The key aspect is a steady flow of fluid, which will carry any air with it. Intermittent flow allows the air to remain in place.

I have a Mityvac, but there are cheaper alternatives available. If you have access to a workshop compressed air supply there are versions available using compressed air to create a vacuum (venture type device) which allow a nice continuous flow, usually with a large container which makes life easier still. Plenty of options on the auction site or Machine Mart etc.

• Like 2
Andy m

ABS modulators usually bleed OK from full but can be a PITA from dry. Some spares are even supplied wet (full of fluid with corks in the ports, all in a nice silver bag like takeaway naan bread comes in). I believe Harley have a problem one that needs the modulator to cycle while bleeding, but it's the exception in my experience. 

+1 on the vacuum bleeder. I just bought a new Sealey compressed air one from the auction site. Enough beer tokens to get the ashtray emptied at your local coffee and motorcycles emporium but my old hand one lasted 15 years, so payback is easily achieved. Just be careful and keep the reservoir topped up. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2