DCT Wont Start

DCTPaul

Thought i'd run an errand on the NC...

bike wont bloody start!

Keys up and primes but display showing 1

Turns over slightly when the front brake is applied.

Hoping its Low Batt and it can't select N initialising.

Vaguely think i may of keyed off when stopped in 1...

Wont be doing that again and will make sure i check im in N

NC on charge, out on the 'lil SH.

Wetherspoons Breakfast Sandwich and a Coffee...

Back home and fingers crossed for the NC for an afternoon spin to check out the scottoiler.

• Like 4

After a couple of hours on the trickle...

Keyed it up... A couple of clicks 'n a Whir... 'N' on the dash.... and started.

Out for a quick ride...

Scottoiler was leaking out the breather...

Overfilled and not venting...

Think i've sorted it....

Hopefully out for another ride tommorow to check.

• Like 1
listener

So in short ...

If you don't want the beastie to give you trouble, ride the bloody thing! :D

• Like 3

Yep...

Shortly after trying to start i got a txt from Data Tool TrackKing warning of low bat voltage...Thats the 3rd time.

I dare say if it was in N it may of started...

Maybe the Data Tool TrackKing sucking some of the juice?

When the tracker battery voltage gets low it takes it from the bike battery... Then the bike battery needs a recharge on a trickle or a run.

Dealer checked for the latest version of the software when it was in for the 600m service... Tracker software auto updates.

But yeah, should (and would love to) get out more.

I think you will find it was the wetherspoons breakfast that fixed it.... always works for me 🤣

• Haha 2

Any device on a permanent live feed will be draining the battery, not by much but it takes the edge off the peak start up current the battery can supply. I brought a bike with an installed cigarette and USB socket, live fed. The little USB 5 volt circuit inside the plug has a resistor happily eating away the available current. 

I removed it and since the 4 cylinder bike is back to normal, not needing a trickle charge for months.

If you have a phone cradle, it should be on switched live. Some have a power switch to turn them off. 

If you have some sort of tracker etc on permanently you really need to check how much current it is drawing, otherwise you could be in for a whole load of grief again and again.

A friend had his battery go flat on the bike. We discovered he had left a USB converter plugged into a live socket, and it was drawing 25mA with nothing plugged into it. That's enough to effectively flatten a bike battery in possibly not much more than 10 days, depending how healthy the battery is.

Someone I do work for had a "black box" in their son's car for insurance, it was supposed to be the latest spec. The battery kept going flat if he car was left for any length of time. I measured the quiescent current at over 60mA, that would flatten the small car battery (40Ah) to the point it would no longer start it in around 2 weeks. They had a replacement box supplied, I fitted it and the current was down near 10mA, much more manageable.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
DCTPaul

Again with a flat batt today

gonna be on to Dobles to get the tracker checked... should be able to leave it for a week or so!

Is the battery being charged by the bike properly?

I replaced a 10 year old battery  my wife's i10 in Feb. A couple of weeks ago it was absolutely flat. Half an hour on my bike's Optimate charger was enough to start it. Idling alternator voltage looked a bit low but revving to 2K the voltage was all over the place which I guess indicated broken internal wiring?

• Like 1