un0riginal

Where to buy PR5's

un0riginal

Hi all,

My PR4's really need replacing so was thinking of the PR5's after all the good things I am hearing about them. 

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place leeds/selby area for getting tyres at the best price? The place I used to use near me closed when the owner retired. 

Thanks

skorpion
On 1/8/2020 at 14:32, un0riginal said:

Hi all,

My PR4's really need replacing so was thinking of the PR5's after all the good things I am hearing about them. 

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place leeds/selby area for getting tyres at the best price? The place I used to use near me closed when the owner retired. 

Thanks

This is were I get mine from, a pair of PR4's fitted in 20 min's.

https://www.biketyresleeds.com/

• Like 1

Andy m

For my money: Pneus online and get Startrite on Hunslet Road to fit them if you can't do your own. 

Andy

• Like 1

un0riginal

Thanks guys, ended up at bike tyres leeds, but will check the other one out for next time. 

• Like 1

Black15

Last year I fitted PR5s to my NC on the recommendation of a local mechanic. I recently went back to him for some more and he advised against. He said he has done a lot of puncture repairs on them due to the very thin rubber inside the treads. I will probably go back to 4s.

outrunner
13 hours ago, Black15 said:

Last year I fitted PR5s to my NC on the recommendation of a local mechanic. I recently went back to him for some more and he advised against. He said he has done a lot of puncture repairs on them due to the very thin rubber inside the treads. I will probably go back to 4s.

Well, I am on my 3rd set of Road 5's and never had a problem with them. Perhaps his customers are taking them down to the limit thus increasing the likelyhood of punctures. I always change tyres at 2mm as there is not much wet grip below that, and the puncture thing as well.

Andy.

• Like 3

Griff
On 2/13/2020 at 20:47, Black15 said:

Now theres an interesting point. A good friend (N) put a set of Road 5's on his tracer recently. With very little mileage on the tyres he got a puncture in the rear. That was plugged, but soon afterwards a mutual friend told me that N had gotten into his head that 5's were prone to punctures. My reaction was "nonsense" as I had never heard of any tyre being "prone to punctures". Not saying it cant happen, just I had never heard of the phenomenon.  I have no idea where he got this idea but anyway I thought nothing more of it until I was talking with N and he raised the subject again. I pointed out to him that I was on my third set of road 5's on the back of the Strom and not a hint of a puncture. He seemed happy enough with that. 

Personally I think a lot of punctures are just bad luck. I also think that the best place to pick them up is getting too close to hard shoulders or riding on the margins of the traffic lanes while filtering etc etc. I suppose my tendency to ride on dirty old back roads is also a good place to pick up a puncture, but I have been lucky in that regard for a few years as I have had none, until recently. I was off out on the Scoot on a backroad run at Christmas and when I got to the finish the rear tyre was well down. I made it to the nearest garage and got enough air in to get home. The culprit was a sliver of stone shaped for all the world like a narrow stone age arrow head. I pulled it out and plugged the tyre. I then used the bike a few times with no issues and the tyre stayed fully inflated. I put it away after a couple of weeks until last week when I discovered the tyre was flat. I pumped it up and checked again after an overnight. Flat again, hmmmm.  My plug was still holding so it had to be another puncture. After much searching with water I found a slow bubbling coming from a tiny pinhole, cause unknown. Plugged it and again the next morning it had lost pressure but not as much. Sure enough I found a second pin hole and again no culprit. Three plugs in it now. Nope I didn't ride over a hedgehog. And the tyre........PR4.   :hmm:

• Like 1

Bart Stilgo

My 2016 NC had two punctures in the OE tyres (Dunlops if I can remember) the ones with the sort of off road pattern

Two punctures in the rear. Both in the wide gap between the rubber grippy bit.  Both from swarf picked up where I work.

fitted a Pirelli next.  No punctures on that one

Now on a PR4.  Will find out what's that like if it ever stops raining down here in Devon!!!

Black15

Funnily enough, the last puncture that I had on the NC was due to a screw in the front tyre a few days after fitting it ( that was the first front wheel puncture that I had had since riding through London on a Honda Benly 185 in 1988, by the way). It was a PR4! I have run 
PR4s and one set of PR5s over the last 30K miles and that is the only puncture that I have had. Most of my riding is motorway so I am probably less likely than some to pick up debris.

Regardless, I’ve ordered a set of Avon Trailriders  to replace the original Battle Skids on the new (ish) NC.