macamx

An embryonic thought.

macamx

No wish to road ride any longer (won’t bore you with the reasons) but maybe trail/green lane riding may be the way forward. My knowledge base on this subject is not extensive, well in truth it’s actually zero. Well got to start somewhere, Honda CRF 250 seems highly regarded so of to Honda UK Website. Oooh! That looks good. What! Seat height 875, me 5’6” inside leg 29” with mobility degreasing daily. Looks like another good idea bites the dust.

Geoff.

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 1

Andy m

C90 or CG125 or Chinese clone with the closest tyres to knobblies that'll fit. Pretty much capable of doing anything you could call a track, just slower (ie not MX) and going to take cosmetic damage in the process. 

Talk to your local TRF group, the bobble hat loonies have pretty much banned off roading in huge swathes of the country side. If the less used B roads with passing places are the limit before huge crowds of OAP's start whacking you with their ski poles and gobbing Kendal mint cake at you, the "field" bike option makes even more sense. 

Andy

• Like 3

Rocker66
29 minutes ago, macamx said:

No wish to road ride any longer (won’t bore you with the reasons) but maybe trail/green lane riding may be the way forward. My knowledge base on this subject is not extensive, well in truth it’s actually zero. Well got to start somewhere, Honda CRF 250 seems highly regarded so of to Honda UK Website. Oooh! That looks good. What! Seat height 875, me 5’6” inside leg 29” with mobility degreasing daily. Looks like another good idea bites the dust.

Geoff.

Joining the Trail Riders Federation  would be a very good first step. They have loads of info on where you can ride and fight to keep these green lanes open. I’m sure that they will have info on which bikes to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

macamx

Thanks, exactly the type of steer I was hoping for, cheers.

Geoff.

• Like 1

kayz1

What about the Yamaha Sarow, even the Suzuki VanVan...we used to get to some very out of the ways places on ours i can tell you..cheap and easy to mend and lift when you drop them in the mud, or have to lift them over a fallen tree:oldfart:

• Like 3

Tonyj

The issue of short legs can be an issue. Serrows are old but can be found and fixed

Edited by Tonyj

poldark

Himilyan, problem solved!! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

baben

As well as green lanes there is a strange classification of council maintained roads which are not surfaced. there a couple of them near me and believe me, maintenance does not appear  to be a priority so they are challenging roads to ride - I do them with fear and trembling on Baby.  Interestingly, my insurance with Bennetts is specific that I cannot ride off road but can ride on council maintained roads so these ones are legit!

As a person shorter in the leg I would give a plus to the Himalayan but also amazingly Baby is actually quite low as a seat - I have a 31 inch inside leg so not that short but easy to flat foot Baby.

Norfolk rights of way map. http://maps.norfolk.gov.uk/highways/   The yellow ones are the ones to go for.

Edited by baben
  • Like 1

Grumpy old man

The CRf is a great machine can do the off road well and can also tour on road ok'ish. You can get lowering links for the CRF so that's worth a look. You live in a great part of the Country for biking and I've found some of those roads that link Weardale to the tees are brilliant and better than trail riding no muck, no bogs, no big steps ,no moaning ramblers, and not stopping every 100 yards for gates. I can't help but think trail riding is about the challenge of off road riding, ridding obstacles and not about enjoying the remoteness which as said you can enjoy without going off piste. If you are new to trail riding and vertically challenged and the wrong side of 60 and still want to try trail riding they and get a road legal trials bike. What do you want to get from trail riding, maybe club level trials might be worth thinking a about. 

Ps- I like the looks of the Himalayan but not sure it could cope with the trails in your area and also heavy to pick up which you will be doing quite a lot.😊

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grumpy old man
8 minutes ago, baben said:

As well as green lanes there is a strange classification of council maintained roads which are not surfaced. there a couple of them near me and believe me, maintenance does not appear  to be a priority so they are challenging roads to ride - I do them with fear and trembling on Baby.  Interestingly, my insurance with Bennetts is specific that I cannot ride off road but can ride on council maintained roads so these ones are legit!

As a person shorter in the leg I would give a plus to the Himalayan but also amazingly Baby is actually quite low as a seat - I have a 31 inch inside leg so not that short but easy to flat foot Baby.

Norfolk rights of way map. http://maps.norfolk.gov.uk/highways/   The yellow ones are the ones to go for.

All Green lanes/trails are legal roads, Byways, UCRs so you will be be covered on your insurance, they have to be to ride them.

• Like 3

Griff
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

What about the Yamaha Sarow, even the Suzuki VanVan...we used to get to some very out of the ways places on ours i can tell you..cheap and easy to mend and lift when you drop them in the mud, or have to lift them over a fallen tree:oldfart:

Tend to agree about the Serow. Great little bike but not easy to come by in good nick. Imho the only downside of the Enfield is its weight but otherwise I hear plenty of good about it. How about a Quad ?  I had loads of craic on a Yamaha Wolverine for a couple of years. No leg length issue there albeit You would need some training to ride it effectively and safely. 

larryblag
15 hours ago, macamx said:

Geoff.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan is getting some excellent reviews.

It was on my shopping list recently. It manages the impossible by providing 200mm of suspension travel and a decent amount of ground clearance whilst providing a reasonably low seat height. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam and could nearly flat foot. Very comfy seats (rider and pillion). Only 24.5bhp which wasn't quite enough for my main use (road) but apparently it's ideal for the off road bits with the low down torque proving ideal for mud-plugging. Not particularly heavy either - compared to a 1200GS which need help from the camera crew to be righted :angel:

My local Honda dealer has thrown in the towel with the latter and has taken on the whole RE range. 

Edited by larryblag

Tex

3 minutes ago, larryblag said:

My local Honda dealer has thrown in the towel with the latter and has taken on the whole RE range. 

And my local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer has opened a new showroom for the RE range. You can’t help but be impressed with the improvements in appearance/finish they’re making in recent years. None of them appeal to me that much, but I can see why others might like one. Especially at the price.

There’s one thing that puzzles me on the twins, the front mudguard is a modern, ‘shorty’ style, but with a factory fitted extension screwed into place. How come? If they wanted a longer mudguard why not just design one? Why design a short one and fit an extension? 

• Like 1

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

The Royal Enfield Himalayan is getting some excellent reviews.

It was on my shopping list recently. It manages the impossible by providing 200mm of suspension travel and a decent amount of ground clearance whilst providing a reasonably low seat height. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam and could nearly flat foot. Very comfy seats (rider and pillion). Only 24.5bhp which wasn't quite enough for my main use (road) but apparently it's ideal for the off road bits with the low down torque proving ideal for mud-plugging. Not particularly heavy either - compared to a 1200GS which need help from the camera crew to be righted :angel:

Would that be Minions?

Good to know thank you.

• Thanks 1

larryblag

Yes it is Minions :thumbsup:

They did say that they will remain a Honda agent for servicing, repairs etc. During my recent purchase there were three bikes on my list:

CB300R 

CB500X

RE Himalayan 

They had all three for me to sit on. 

The CB500X was very nice indeed and had lots of farkles already thrown at it but the CB300R won the day. The "wild card" was the Himalayan. At just over £4k brand new it's a bit of a bargain and like I said seemed extremely comfortable. Kelly loved the pillion seat too but she didn't like the looks (which I describe as a two-wheeled Landrover). I like it especially with the pannier boxes. 

The CB300R won the day as it suited my needs better (and was within my modest budget) but with the Himalayan coming a close second. You must try one if you can. Minions will have their demonstrator available by now. 

Edited by larryblag
  • Thanks 2

Mr Toad

You had me at two wheeled Land Rover. :) 

As soon as a suitable day presents itself I shall have a ride over and have a good look at them.

Not this week though:

Mon - Visiting daughter

Tue - Archaeology

Wed - Consultant appt.

Thur - Archaeology

Fri - Archaeology 

I always thought that I'd have more free time when I retired................hey ho.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

larryblag

Seen at Matlock last month

RE. Himalayan

• Like 1

macamx
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

Yes it is Minions :thumbsup:

They did say that they will remain a Honda agent for servicing, repairs etc. During my recent purchase there were three bikes on my list:

CB300R 

CB500X

RE Himalayan 

They had all three for me to sit on. 

The CB500 was very nice .

My short list would be.

CB500X

CB500F

CB300R

I’ve bang’d in plenty on here about how good the 500X was and what a mug I was to get rid of it (2018 model) but I believe they “jacked” it up a tad, mainly due to wheel size for 2019, did you find it a stretch?

Geoff.  

• Like 2

larryblag

A bit Geoff, but I'd have managed it easily as like my previous Tracer it's so light - and therein lies the problem. Once aboard, the CB300X felt very similar to the Tracer and although it's a fantastic bike and extremely capable I'd be back where I left off. I wanted something quite a bit less capable :getlost:. Now I know that might sound nonsense to some, but this time I  was determined to have a light, small capacity bike this time. I did consider a 125 (The Mutt Mongrel for example), but I think it may have been a step down too far as my only motorcycle in the garage. Hence the CB300R being at the top of my shortlist. 

Edited by larryblag
Trying to make sense of my scribblings.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

macamx

I can fully understand your thinking.

Geoff.

• Thanks 1

larryblag

That should've said, "Once aboard, the CB500X" but you get my meaning. :ahappy:

larryblag

"CB300X" ? Now there's an idea :getlost:

Mr Toad
24 minutes ago, larryblag said:

"CB300X" ? Now there's an idea :getlost:

No reason you can't do that yourself, upgrade the bits that need it and add the missing stuff, providing you can find parts that fit.

As far as I can see the only downside is the cost. A fully spec'd Rally Raid CB500X is an expensive thing, £1100 for the rear shock, £300 for the front upgrade, £250 for the engine guard and then there's the other bits and farkles.

By the time you're done unless you're completely committed to the platform you might as well have bought an off the shelf Adventure bike. Although I'm not sure what bikes fall into the right category that would fit your requirements.

• Like 2

larryblag

I'd very quickly be where I was when I tried the Himalayan. :D

No, I bought the right bike for me. Road only. 

Also consider the Kawasaki X300 Versys. Glendon really rates his. They are quite a bit dearer than the Himalayan though. 

The Vstrom 250 also gets a good review. 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 2

Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, larryblag said:

I'd very quickly be where I was when I tried the Himalayan. :D

No, I bought the right bike for me. Road only. 

Also consider the Kawasaki X300 Versys. Glendon really rates his. They are quite a bit dearer than the Himalayan though. 

The Vstrom 250 also gets a good review. 

Now do you really want to take your shiny  new VStrom or Versys on the trail in weardale, I wouldn't. 

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 2