DCTPaul

A rear hugger that works?

DCTPaul

Got a Shock Sock fitted to protect the shock...Recomend em

Fitted a Pyramid-a-like rear hugger - muck all tge underside...

Removed it and fitted one on the £12 or so  plastic panel guard flaps from the bay of e...

even more muck everywhere... especially around the sides, so the hugger was doing a little something.

Anyone fitted anything that actually works?

Thats a Truly Wooly Really Really Defo Works rather than a bit but loiks nice works.

More enclosing hugger chain guard afair?

Who has got wot?

Edited by DCTPaul

EastSussexPete

Very happy with Givi mudguard/chain cover that previous owner fitted. 

JONO49

I'll be interested in some opinion/replys to!!!!

Graham NZ

DCTPaul

Yes, I have a hugger which works on my S.  See my hugger in the thread Givi A34 Screen on NC750S.

DCTPaul

Graham, Thanks for the reply - Had a look on your post...

The hugger looks like it extends further back than all the others I have seen... and a short length at the horizontal from the 'Bay pics

Covers more of the tyre, particularly on the LH chain side... Dunno why they didn't give the same tyre coverage on the RH side? - maybe down to where the fittings are...

I also like the way it extends down below the swing arm to protect the linkage...

Ordered one...

$135 / £104... and hope I don't get stung any Import Tax / Extra Duty etc...

Had a look at the powerbronze hugger - doesn't go as far back over the tyre, and has a mesh on the LHS - what is the point of having mesh in a mudguard!

Plus I prefer the idea of ABS rather than Fibre Glass... a bit more flex for vibration, particularly at the fittings...

• Like 1

elbee

I made my shock protector from a piece of EPDM roofing material. It is very flexible, unlike the that auction site one, and is cut wider. It hasn't worn away any paintwork after well over a year. It is secured with two number plate bolts and took five minutes to cut out the shape, drill two holes and bolt on. The shock remains covered just in ACF50, no mud!

• Like 1

DCTPaul

After taking another look at the photos on Graham NZ's thread...

I think you get as much rear tyre coverage as poss on the RHS - more cut out the hugger that side to clear the brake caliper...

• Like 1

Graham NZ

Few huggers work well but the one from Moscow does.  I am very happy with it.

The small modifications I made were these:

• A small forward projection on the chainguard portion was cut back a little with a hacksaw to make fitting the hugger with the wheel in place easier.  Not essential but I will remover the hugger whenever replacing the rear tyre and chain.
  •  
  • The landing-flat on the right hand side had the ends rounded off with a hacksaw to make negotiating the brake hose over it easier.
  •  
  • The fixing holes were formed into slots with a rat-tailed file to make lateral truing of the rear of hugger over the tyre easier.  Left side, two holes effectively moved 10mm forward and the single right side one moved 10mm more to the right.  20mm OD SS fender washers used with the SS fixing screws supplied.
  •  
  • To give the chainguard more of a fling-containing 'lid' a strip of 0.55mm sheet steel as used for roofing flashing was added, bolted on inside.  Not essential but I hate chain fling.
  •  

I have had a lot of experience making fibreglass parts for motorcycles so found making those mods very easy.

To match the white of my bike the 'mudguard' portion was sprayed with gloss acrylic lacquer.  The hugger has a nicely textured finish and that remains evident with the paint. 

DCTPaul

OH....

I hope (and thought, as there was no mention of the need to modify...) it will fit straight on... Wasn't bargaining for any muck about... At £100+

Fingers crossed...

Edited by DCTPaul

Graham NZ

This is a custom-made hugger, not one from Givi who do a lot of testing of their products before selling.

It will go straight on but it works better with the simple mods indicated above.  The only must-do item is to do the work on the fixing holes.  The added lid to the chain guard is debatably unnecessary but I hate chain fling.  And chains too!

Edited by Graham NZ

DCTPaul

Thanks again

I'll look forward to its arrival... Dremel and needle files at the ready...

Chains?!?... I still think the NC DCT would of been great with a belt drive...

• Like 1

Graham NZ

DCTPaul

These photos may be of help to you.

If you are into removing the rear wheel yourself the slightly shortened nose to the chainguard will make fitting and removal of the hugger easier but it can be forced into place with the wheel in place.

Shortened-chainguard-nose.jpg

Rounded-right-side-flange.jpg

Top-added-to-chainguard-of-hugger.jpg

wjvh

See 

plus the other pics. I gave up on huggers, made my own mud flaps and then attached this full mudguard on to the back of an R&G hugger. The combo is VERY effective at keeping crud off the back of the bike, the shock, links, etc. Cheap too, the whole lot cost less than £30.

pjm

Nice job. Imagine how a factory designed mudguard in a plain black could look almost invisible. Who ever said we didn’t want mudguards?

• Like 1

Griff
11 hours ago, wjvh said:

See 

plus the other pics. I gave up on huggers, made my own mud flaps and then attached this full mudguard on to the back of an R&G hugger. The combo is VERY effective at keeping crud off the back of the bike, the shock, links, etc. Cheap too, the whole lot cost less than £30.

Cant understand why Honda cant do something like that in the first place.  Even Pyramid are still faffing around with huggers and those axle attachment thingys, none of which work. Time and time again I see bikes with those accessories either singly or together, and still lots of crud which has gotten over the top of them. Any chance You could post those photos to Pyramid or even allow me to do so ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Graham NZ

Big grin! 

slowboy

Wot no chainguard:oldfart:

I know it's boring to mention it, but there you go. Nice idea though.

• Haha 1

MPG100
On 1/14/2020 at 22:18, DCTPaul said:

Thanks again

I'll look forward to its arrival... Dremel and needle files at the ready...

Chains?!?... I still think the NC DCT would of been great with a belt drive...

You and a few others on here are looking fwd to its arrival, cost after customs, fit after fitting and test results after trying it out! Good luck!

Graham NZ

I have reported on mine at length in the thread Givi A34 Screen on NC750S.  The Russian one is as at least as good as I'd expected and has features better than any others I've seen on offer.  Mine cost $NZ220 landed and delivered to me after just two weeks.

wjvh
On 17/01/2020 at 19:22, slowboy said:

Wot no chainguard:oldfart:

Sorry, took pics before putting the chain guard back on, doh, rest assured I always ride with the guard in place.

• Like 2

slowboy
15 hours ago, wjvh said:

Sorry, took pics before putting the chain guard back on, doh, rest assured I always ride with the guard in place.

No need to apologise, I just was overcome with pedantry for a moment. I do like the idea though and it would be hard for a manufacturer to produce. Way better than the current offering. 👍