Fork oil

Johnny D

How much fork oil goes into each fork? On nc750x 2014 

Edited by Johnny D
  • Like 1
Mr Toad

I thought about commenting but I fork oil about it.

I'll get me coat..................

• Haha 3
  • Sigh 1
ChrisCB

Recommanded Fork Oil: 10W

Fork Oil Capacity: NC700/750X : 514cc - NC700/750S: 518cc - Integra: 521cc

Fork Oil Level: NC700/750X : 104mm - NC700/750S: 103mm - Integra: 100mm

stephenmcg
On 03/02/2020 at 08:05, Mr Toad said:

I thought about commenting but I fork oil about it.

I'll get me coat..................

Some years ago I got some grief on another bike forum when I added to a thread on viscosity and said 

it made fork oil difference

smcg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Graham NZ

The volumes given are one fork leg.  If you stay with the recommended 104 mm oil level then a one litre bottle of oil isn't enough to service both legs but lower the level to 130mm and a litre will just do it.  I run mine with a 140mm oil level for altered air springing effect.

• Like 3
trisaki

2nd that , I run a 140mm air gap , lovely with quite a smooth ride , quite possible that the quoted 104 maybe wrong  ,140 ,the same numbers but makes quite a difference 

• Like 3
Graham NZ

If the quoted airgaps (oil levels) from Honda are correct then they're nonsense.  A total range of just 4mm variation is just stupid.  That small a difference would make no worthwhile difference in damping effect.

My forks have been modified and run tuned Cogent DDC cartridges with non standard shimming.  Initially 10W oil was used but this is now 5W and the much softened high-speed impact damping is very welcome.  Always used with a 140mm airgap.  Compared with the stock forks mine are as different as chalk becoming cheese.

Recently I changed the oil in a friend's 2007 Bonneville T100 from 10W to 5W and with a 125mm airgap as recommended on an owners forum.  He reports a vastly more comfortable ride.

Increasing the airgap makes the impact damping more compliant which is generally a good thing on road bikes ridden conservatively.  More air in the forks to be compressed.

What fork seals would you people get originals or is there better aftermarket ones to use? Any suggestions 

Dunnster

25 minutes ago, Johnny D said:

What fork seals would you people get originals or is there better aftermarket ones to use? Any suggestions 

OEM from Honda, every time. 

outrunner

+1 on OEM seals as they will invariably outlast the cheap stuff.

Andy.

• Like 1
trisaki

For the last 5 years or so I been fitting genuine seals at my wshop , as yes most are dearer than pattern but as a whole they do seem to last longer

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

The front suspension on the NC very poor it needs a lot of suspension modifications to make them half decent the cheapest way improve the oil depending on your personal weight I've upgraded my oil to the 15 wait and I have added some steel washers roughly 10 to 15 ml you will have to experiment with the washes it all depends on your weight too many washes and you will get the front wheel chatter which can be dangerous corner in very easy and cheap mod there is a very good video on YouTube about suspension called Dave Moss tuning two clicks out if you watch some of his videos you will get a better understanding of how to set your bike up

Edited by Paulb
  • Confused 1
Graham NZ

There are many reports on how to improve NC suspension on this Forum.  I suggest looking through them before suggesting oil grades and adding washers.  To achieve improvements it's best to start with the basics like measuring the laden suspension sag figures for both front and rear.

It cost me $NZ 2,500 to improve the suspension on my NC.  Somehow I'm sure that just changing fork oil grade won't do much good.

Trumpet

You are right. For some reason Honda think undersprung and overdamped front forks with progressive springs are the right  way to go.. they mustn't  live in the real world. Having said that, I wouldn't spend all that money on the NC750X. I DID spend all that money on my VFR1200F, it was the same !

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1
Graham NZ

Alan

Ditto.  My last four bikes have each had about the same money spent on suspension upgrades because my decrepit body needs all the pampering it can get.  No bikes come with suspension to suit all fussy riders, even the most upmarket ones.

The NC bikes are not upmarket but just the same I think Honda could've done better with the suspension and front brake without it costing too much more.  Mine is now reasonably good suspension-wise and I ride it so conservatively that the front brake copes OK with a firm squeeze. 

• Like 1

It’s got to be worth experiencing a bit to improve the front end, particularly the air gap Graham NZ and Trisaki mention.

A test ride on a new X soon highlighted poor standard suspension and I decided I couldn’t live with one without improvement.

Fortunately, I found a lovely 750X already fitted with full Maxton front re valve and springs and Maxton rear spring and shock. Amazing difference, as you would expect for the price. Graham, I agree chalk and cheese. 

Edited by RC166
Spelling!
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Joeyjoejnr

I have used my nc750 x 2014 very little over the last 3 months due to covid.  I noticed today that the forks are leaking.  Perhaps not using the bike caused the issue.  Its not a problem because its a job I have been putting off for a while now.  I have nearly hit 90,000km so its well over due.  I dont think I need to do an upgrade unless someone can advice that it makes a big difference.  I commute 5 days a week. 80 mile round trip and 80% is motorway with the rest a regional road.  I dont go off roading etc or carry a pillion.  I plan on changing all the seals, clips and oil.  Just like to add I never found the front suspension an issue on my commute.

• Like 2
trisaki
1 hour ago, Joeyjoejnr said:

I have used my nc750 x 2014 very little over the last 3 months due to covid.  I noticed today that the forks are leaking.  Perhaps not using the bike caused the issue.  Its not a problem because its a job I have been putting off for a while now.  I have nearly hit 90,000km so its well over due.  I dont think I need to do an upgrade unless someone can advice that it makes a big difference.  I commute 5 days a week. 80 mile round trip and 80% is motorway with the rest a regional road.  I dont go off roading etc or carry a pillion.  I plan on changing all the seals, clips and oil.  Just like to add I never found the front suspension an issue on my commute.

Try using a 140 air gap instead of the 104 see if you find it better ' silkolene fork oil seems to be best 

• Like 2
Joeyjoejnr
22 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Try using a 140 air gap instead of the 104 see if you find it better ' silkolene fork oil seems to be best 

I agree from reading past threads.  Should I just order new dust and oil seals or should I get a full kit including bushings etc

• Like 1
trisaki

Probably not a lot different on price  personally I would do the whole lot that way there shouldn't be any nagging doubts  ' down to you what grade of oil to go for ' solo I would use 7.5 ' for comfort  ' lmao using  5 but maybe a little  soft ' 10 grade for occasionally passenger  ' 10 or 15 regular passenger or luggage  '  will have to try and see 

• Like 3
Graham NZ

All good advice.  90k miles is far enough to entitle the bike to new seals etc.

If you are satisfied with the suspension's road surface compliance and rider comfort then forget about upgrading because to achieve much improvement is pretty expensive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fj_stuart

I posted this video on YouTube five years ago. I’d totally forgotten about it until I got a comment today. I’m changing the fork oil on my FJ1200. The FJ has drain screws but I prefer to remove the forks. I spend a bit of time with the lower bolts on the triple clamp because they are a little tricky to get at because of the fairing.

This isn’t speeded up – this is the pace I work at!

• Haha 2
listener
3 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

This isn’t speeded up – this is the pace I work at!

We believe you, Speedy Gonzales! :thumbsup:

I played that back at 2x and set fire to my laptop! :o   :lol:

• Haha 1