Honda Datatool Tracker

Mister Paul

Mister Paul

I got my last new honda 18 months ago and it came with a free Datatool Trakking tracker. The Honda website says that this is still an offer with new bikes, though I'm not sure how much they publicise it.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I got a stream of about 30 email alerts overnight for a low battery. I called the support line and they didn't seem interested. I'd been out riding on a very wet day and assumed it might be something to do with damp.

Until today it's been quiet, but I've just had another 4 alerts.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this? I can't find any conversation about it online.

PoppetM

Nope, mine is well behaved. It had one blip where it showed it travelling through Battersea but I was stood in front of it in the City, took a few days but it settled down again.

Mostly well behaved for me as well, approx 12 months old. I've had the odd 'movement detected' alert when I'm at work, bike still outside the flat when I get home. It could be wind or even one of the oik children on the estate so I can't say for sure whether it was blip or it was accurate.

Mister Paul

Well datatool have been impressive. I called them and they said that it was a fault with the tracker as even if it was picking up a problem then it should only send one alert a day. And they could see from their data that the battery is fine. The chap confirmed who my local dealer was. Ten minutes later Fowlers called and booked me in for Monday for a replacement. 

• Like 1

Yep... I have got a 'Low Batt' txt a couple of times after 2 or 3 weeks without use...

After the first one, i fitted some battery charger tails, and got a call from a bloke at Datatool within minuits warning me that the battery had been disconected!

Good Darts from Datatool!

Was told software should auto update but version was checked by Dobles when the NC was in for its 600 ml service...

Bloke says when the internal tracker batt gets low it borrows from the bike batt...

Then warns you when the bike batt is low...

Used the bike a little more frequant lately, say once a week or fortnight... Not had a txt for a while...

Getting a Datatool TrackKing tracker on the new Sh125... Free but now £99 install fee...

Will then see what discount on the insurance the tracker gets at renewal before renewing the subscription...

• Like 1
Mister Paul
2 minutes ago, horobags said:

are these still free on all new Honda's??

According to the Honda UK website, yes. 

• Like 1
Mister Paul
52 minutes ago, horobags said:

thanks Paul.

What are you buying now? I thought you'd been through the Honda range twice? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, horobags said:

thanks Paul.

What you going to order Mark:D

Bought a Datatool Trakking setup for Tigger and then transferred it to Hank. Bike lives on an optimate so never had a low battery alert but read of a bike journo who got one so it is a thing and very useful too I imagine.

• 10 months later...
On 26/02/2020 at 20:38, baben said:

Bought a Datatool Trakking setup for Tigger and then transferred it to Hank. Bike lives on an optimate so never had a low battery alert but read of a bike journo who got one so it is a thing and very useful too I imagine.

I enquired about free Datatool tracker when I bought my NC750X in October. Dealer said the same as when I bought Crossrunner the previous year - lot of trouble with flat batteries. I could have one if I really wanted though. I don’t. I have too many friends with stories about them playing up. My choice. 

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

I enquired about free Datatool tracker when I bought my NC750X in October. Dealer said the same as when I bought Crossrunner the previous year - lot of trouble with flat batteries. I could have one if I really wanted though. I don’t. I have too many friends with stories about them playing up. My choice. 

Great if you use the bike regularly. 

I fitted a cheap Chinese tracker to my Bonny, it worked perfectly but without regular riding the bike definitely needs to be on a battery maintainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Black Marauder

I have had a tracker fitted to my new Tracer in December & have not used the bike since bringing it home from the dealers, just 44 miles on the clock, it is permanantly connected to a solar powered battery charger, I am hoping it might/should avoid the drained/flat battery syndrome, I thought having one fitted at the "promotional price" was a wise decision.....time will tell ?

I have a tracker i bought for the X-ADV, just some how never got around to fitting it:muttley:

No idea why, unless it was all the negative comments on various sites... I wouldn't mind

but i had paid the first two years subs!!! still in it's box..Maybe the next bike..

• Like 1

had mine fitted on the X-adv too. bike stolen in 10 days - tracker disconnected in 8 minutes. completely useless 

I have posted the issues in another post - see here 

There is a massive discussion on scorpion tracker & honda partnership. 

as honda dealer do not get paid for installation, they tend to do a quick and dirty job to save time (not all of them of course). 

mine was detected and completely disconnected within 8minutes from bike first movement. 

I complained about this and managed (at least) to get the subscription cost back. honda dealer had a new training on installation from scorpion. 

anyway - who is steeling a honda knows there is likely to be a tacker (as comes free of charge) - so they look for it. 

honda dealers are not installing them as hidden as they should.

result = tracker useless & bike gone. 

This is the general problem with trackers. The thieves are now obviously using a scanner to find them. I had a job where I found out that a previous insurer had a telematics black box in a stolen car. It had been deactivated. Paid to have it reactivated and lo and behold it came to life and the vehicle was recovered and one arrest made. Obviously when they stole it and scanned and then ripped out the internal coms they thought they were home and dry. The black box must have been having a silent giggle as it sat there not giving out a signal. I have trackers in my car set to ping only once every 24 hours. Chances of them scanning at the right moment must be slim.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

I have the GPS live/Rewire one. It's actually on a plug, can't think of anywhere on a bike to install it you couldn't remove in 2 minutes or cut the wires, so why make it difficult to install. I mostly use it to find places I've been and liked, let the wife see how far away I am without the PITA text messages and to add a little security. They ping once a day unless disturbed. Saves battery and as Peter our expert says must stop scanners knowing it's there.

Thing is, what do the scanner equipped thieves steal? I bet the NC750 isn't top of the list? Weed addled scooter yardie wannabees I'm betting don't scan? Having broken the other 3-7 layers of security, are they really going to find the tracker and leave it in the pile of other broken security? Maybe there is a window of opportunity to find the bike after it pings movement?

It would be better if they were embedded in the tank plastic or something, but stolen bikes are usually an extra sale for Honda and no one buys a Fireblade over a Ducati based on how easy they are to steal, so not going to happen without legislation or manufacturing reasons.

The Samsung Tag things look interesting. Too expensive yet to scatter about, but could be hidden in all sorts of devices and property.

Current stupidity excepted I ride at least once a week, so no problem on batteries. I will put it on the charger soon.

Andy

23 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The Samsung Tag things look interesting. Too expensive yet to scatter about, but could be hidden in all sorts of devices and property.

receiving mine tomorrow. Imho much more likely to be un-noticed and at a fraction of the cost. 
and if it doesn't work then you haven't splashed out a lot of cash to add it. 

• Like 1

I mainly deal with cars. I wouldn't have a Range Rover if you gave it to me. It most likely wouldn't be with me that long anyway at the rate they get stolen. Second only to the Fiesta apparently. Its no secret that the thieves are ripping out the internal coms to defeat the manufacturers inbuilt GPS / My Car App. I wonder if an embedded tracker with a large loop aerial formed from the car or bike bodywork may end up being an answer in the future.

fred_jb
2 hours ago, kayz1 said:

I have a tracker i bought for the X-ADV, just some how never got around to fitting it:muttley:

No idea why, unless it was all the negative comments on various sites... I wouldn't mind

but i had paid the first two years subs!!! still in it's box..Maybe the next bike..

You should call them and see if they will put the subscription on pause.  BikeTrac will do that.