Steveg

Crossrunner

Scootabout
7 hours ago, outrunner said:

Yes, the same with F1, no automatics allowed.

Andy.

Too fast? :D

• Like 1

larryblag

Something has changed within me. The last few bikes I'd tip a hat to as I went to fetch something out of the freezer. I'd admire them in shed there and nod to the aesthetics then turn around and get dinner on. The CR has me wanting to ride again, even if it's 8pm, dark and Kelly is wanting her tea. I've not come this close to casting off my chef's apron in years. 😁😁😁

Shame about the lockdown 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 3

larryblag

The suspension is described as "Premium" and I would tend to agree. Fully adjustable at both ends and Back to factory settings it's almost perfect - just needs a little extra Preload dialling in when there's two aboard (or, like yesterday I've nipped to Lidl for the weekly shop) . Yet I note, over on the CR forum some are unhappy with either the front, the rear or both describing it as "diving" at the front and "harsh and over damped" at the rear - they've obviously never ridden an NCS over potholed roads. No, I echo what I said in my initial review - it's practically a magic carpet 🧞‍♂️ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ciaran1602
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Something has changed within me. The last few bikes I'd tip a hat to as I went to fetch something out of the freezer. I'd admire them in shed there and nod to the aesthetics then turn around and get dinner on. The CR has me wanting to ride again, even if it's 8pm, dark and Kelly is wanting her tea. I've not come this close to casting off my chef's apron in years. 😁😁😁

Shame about the lockdown 

I think the general consensus with the rules in place is that motorcycling for exercise and recreation is permitted. You're a sensible enough bloke to use a degree of sensibility and all. Get on out in it!

• Thanks 2

poldark

You may have just run out of quinoa at 8pm and can't possibly eat Tea without it, that must qualify as essential (in many ways!) 🏍️👍😁

• Haha 1

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

The suspension is described as "Premium" and I would tend to agree. Fully adjustable at both ends and Back to factory settings it's almost perfect - just needs a little extra Preload dialling in when there's two aboard (or, like yesterday I've nipped to Lidl for the weekly shop) . Yet I note, over on the CR forum some are unhappy with either the front, the rear or both describing it as "diving" at the front and "harsh and over damped" at the rear - they've obviously never ridden an NCS over potholed roads. No, I echo what I said in my initial review - it's practically a magic carpet 🧞‍♂️ 

I think what you have to remember about a lot of those people is the fact that for them any 'stock' suspension is rubbish and only the most expensive 'brands' will do. I'm sure we've all met someone who swears by the gold plated titanium Ohlins filled with oil made from rendered unicorn fat. 

Since getting my first bike at 16 I've ridden 100s of thousands of miles and I still don't know much about suspension other than is my bike comfy to ride and does it feel safe on the road. I know that my Bonneville was bone jaring and a set of TEC shocks made a hell of a difference. I also know the GS has fully adjustable suspension and that It's equally comfy on all the settings and I have no complaints about the comfort or handling of the Enfield.

If a bike is genuinely uncomfortable then fix it but I have to say that the Bonneville was the first bike I've ever changed the stock suspension on and it could well be that my standard shocks while not MOT failure faulty could well have been broken. I don't know anyone else who had comfort issues with their Bonneville so who knows. It just turned out that the TEC shoks were cheaper and lighter than Triumph originals, in fact I got them for free and transformed the ride comfort.

Of course there's also the fact that I have neither the skill nor inclination to push my suspension to the limits. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Xactly
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

I think what you have to remember about a lot of those people is the fact that for them any 'stock' suspension is rubbish and only the most expensive 'brands' will do. I'm sure we've all met someone who swears by the gold plated titanium Ohlins filled with oil made from rendered unicorn fat. 

Since getting my first bike at 16 I've ridden 100s of thousands of miles and I still don't know much about suspension other than is my bike comfy to ride and does it feel safe on the road. I know that my Bonneville was bone jaring and a set of TEC shocks made a hell of a difference. I also know the GS has fully adjustable suspension and that It's equally comfy on all the settings and I have no complaints about the comfort or handling of the Enfield.

If a bike is genuinely uncomfortable then fix it but I have to say that the Bonneville was the first bike I've ever changed the stock suspension on and it could well be that my standard shocks while not MOT failure faulty could well have been broken. I don't know anyone else who had comfort issues with their Bonneville so who knows. It just turned out that the TEC shoks were cheaper and lighter than Triumph originals, in fact I got them for free and transformed the ride comfort.

Of course there's also the fact that I have neither the skill nor inclination to push my suspension to the limits. 

IMHO there’s nothing wrong with the standard suspension on the CR. It’s decent quality. In a three bike comparison test a few weeks ago, against a Tracer 900 and (IIRC) a Triumph, the CR was deemed to have the best suspension and scored as being competent at everything rather than outstanding at one thing and iffy at the rest. It has easily the best standard suspension of any bike I’ve owned.

I agree with you about Triumph twin suspension (as far as the oil/air cooled models go). The rear shock on my late model Thruxton 865 EFI ( now sadly gone in part/ex against a new nc750x- what have I done?!) was utter rubbish. I fitted a pair of mid-range Hagon adjustable shocks on it and it transformed the handling. I also improved the front forks ( as well as improving the brakes, air intake, exhaust and fuelling) and ended up with a superb bike. I believe the latest 900 twins have decent cartridge forks and ok rear shocks too.

I’m not fussed about Ohlins and brand snobbery. For one thing the seals leak if unused for a while and anyway I don’t think they’re necessary for ordinary riding.

• Like 3

baben
5 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I think the general consensus with the rules in place is that motorcycling for exercise and recreation is permitted. You're a sensible enough bloke to use a degree of sensibility and all. Get on out in it!

This morning I took a quick run out to check that the clutch was working properly on Ruby. 90, very enjoyable miles later I can confirm it is working fine! very odd.

• Haha 1

Scootabout

I'm still considering fitting a replacement shock to the Tracer. So many road surfaces are rubbish these days, and I'm basically too old to put up with jarring :oldfart:

Edited by Scootabout
  • Like 1

larryblag

I found exactly the same with my Tracer. The front was OK - much improved by running the front tyre at 2 psi below the recommended pressure. The rear was (like many other bikes I've had) over sprung for my weight, yet underdamped. 

I had almost exactly this issue with my Versys 650. With that bike I took the plunge and spent £400 on a Nitron (actually I specified one for an ER-6 as it was a little shorter which lowered the bike to the perfect height for me). It transformed the handling on the Versys. The front was good on that bike too so no further work was necessary and so it was money well spent. Plus, once you have a Nitron the cost of a rebuild is minimal too (I asked as part of my original enquiry and they quoted me about £70). 👍

Tonyj

My old friend had a cr and the suspension was only critiqued when he had been pushing on , the engine probably out paced the boingy bits but not by much. 

• Like 1

Xactly

Maybe it depends how heavy you are. I’m pretty light and don’t carry a pillion these days. I haven’t found a problem even pressing on down B roads, now that I’ve dialled the suspension in to suit. To be fair I’ve never tried a bike with semi- or fully self- adjusting suspension, but I tend to favour bikes that require some skill to ride at pace. I get a lot of pleasure out of riding my CR hard to keep up with litre plus bikes with more bhp than my car. Each to his own.

larryblag

Okay, chicken was in the oven, roast potatoes looking good. Right then, half an hour before the veg goes on and the sun is shining so.. 

Time to see what second gear WOT feels like. Pinned it there and (as suggested on here) didn't up shift until well into Vtec territory. Bark from the exhaust and a snarl of induction noise from the air box - 

oh my goodness that's satisfying! 

Clear open (private stretch of) road and by the time I've snicked 4th I'm well into three figures. Roll off the throttle and use the clutch to short shift (the quick shifter best rewards a slightly more exuberant use of the throttle) into top gear (which is overdriven btw). Allow the speed to bleed off as I pass back onto the public section of the road, I'm giggling to myself and rocking my head gently from side-to-side in a satisfied yet childish manner. Nearly split my helmet with my ear-to-ear grin. Do I need to ride that fast? Not really. Do we have to try it out every now and then? Absolutely! The thing that makes this so satisfying is that throughout it all I'm sat bolt upright. Yes, I believe 800cc is a sweet spot. The CR is one of those bikes that you don't have to ride fast - just knowing that the potential is there for some incredible naughtiness means that riding it slowly, just having a bimble is such great fun too. The CR does everything you can ask of it at anytime and carries it all off with aplomb 😁😁😁

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 4

Xactly

I believe the CR is limited to 130mph, a speed it will achieve in 4th, or so I’m told (officer). Sixth is definitely an overdrive. Your right hand directly influences the fuel economy; if you live permanently in v-tech land your wallet might grumble. For me it all depends what mood I’m in, as well as road and weather conditions etc. I subscribe to the view that if you want to ride slowly and savour the scenery, you can on a CR. It’s the only option on my RE single....Admittedly it doesn’t have the therapeutic thump, but I find the v four configuration very appealing, praise indeed from someone who normally feels that 4 cylinder engines are characterless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MatBin
28 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Okay, chicken was in the oven, roast potatoes looking good. Right then, half an hour before the veg goes on and the sun is shining so.. 

Time to see what second gear WOT feels like. Pinned it there and (as suggested on here) didn't up shift until well into Vtec territory. Bark from the exhaust and a snarl of induction noise from the air box - 

Clear open (private stretch of) road and by the time I've snicked 4th I'm well into three figures. Roll off the throttle and use the clutch to short shift (the quick shifter best rewards a slightly more exuberant use of the throttle) into top gear (which is overdriven btw). Allow the speed to bleed off as I pass back onto the public section of the road, I'm giggling to myself and rocking my head gently from side-to-side in a satisfied yet childish manner. Nearly split my helmet with my ear-to-ear grin. Do I need to ride that fast? Not really. Do we have to try it out every now and then? Absolutely! The thing that makes this so satisfying is that throughout it all I'm sat bolt upright. Yes, I believe 800cc is a sweet spot. The CR is one of those bikes that you don't have to ride fast - just knowing that the potential is there for some incredible naughtiness means that riding it slowly, just having a bimble is such great fun too. The CR does everything you can ask of it at anytime and carries it all off with aplomb 😁😁😁

Yeah but other than that what has Honda ever done for us :)

• Haha 3

Rocker66
31 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Glad you’re really enjoying it. Has Kells been on it yet and if so did it produce one of those wonderful smiles of hers?

• Like 1

larryblag

She says it's comfy. She'll be happier with something to lean on. She did say it sounded a bit like "another sports bike". I have suitably chastised her of course which then produced one of her lovely smiles 😁

• Thanks 2

larryblag

Honda San. Responsible for:

Aqueducts

Tarmacadam

The nicest people

Sliced bread

Pneumatic tyres

Drawing pins

Puncture repair kits

NC700/750

CB500X

And the Cross Runner

Other than that? Nowt 😂

Edited by larryblag
Forgot the CB500X
  • Haha 2

listener
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

Clear open (private stretch of) road and by the time I've snicked 4th I'm well into three figures.

I'm not sure you're allowed to ride a bike, ton-up, on Runway 09 of East Midlands Airport. :P:lol:

• Haha 1

larryblag
23 minutes ago, listener said:

I'm not sure you're allowed to ride a bike, ton-up, on Runway 09 of East Midlands Airport. :P:lol:

It was 27 today - wind coming the other way. :P:lol:

• Haha 1

Tex

Gaz, your experience mirrors my own. :niceone: And just bumbling around a lot of the time actually increases the fun factor of the odd thrash. Winner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1