Jump to content
Ciaran1602

A clever sat nav alternative...The Beeline Moto

Recommended Posts

Dunnster
2 minutes ago, Tex said:

 


The mirror mount is currently out of stock at Beeline. They’re supposed to be letting me know when they’re available again (if you buy the mount and the display unit together you save a few quid). I will let you know. :niceone:

Haha, just checked myself :D

Thanks, matey :flowers:

Share this post


Link to post
Dunnster

Hey @Ciaran1602 maybe you should've got a commission :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

I'll take commission in the form of pleased riders :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
baben
3 hours ago, Tex said:

 


The mirror mount is currently out of stock at Beeline. They’re supposed to be letting me know when they’re available again (if you buy the mount and the display unit together you save a few quid). I will let you know. :niceone:

Not completely forsaken those Yorkshire roots then!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Jamesco
On 09/05/2020 at 16:09, Jamesco said:

 

For sure it's not as pretty/tidy as the Beeline! 😆 I'm just being a tight b*stard

 

Maybe next pay day will think about it. Smartphone not an option for me it would be cooked in the sun pretty quickly

 

Finally got a proper mount in the post. As above, not pretty but does the job (just like the owner)

5ec667e039948_Screenshot_20200521-1430262.png.f488ebb80bce65bb08def2546b25b317.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

For those that were looking, @Tex and @Dunnster I believe, the device with the mirror mounts are back in stock I think. I had an email from then and some rubbish marketing stuff a short while ago :ahappy:

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
3 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

For those that were looking, @Tex and @Dunnster I believe, the device with the mirror mounts are back in stock I think. I had an email from then and some rubbish marketing stuff a short while ago :ahappy:


Thanks buddy, ordered! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tex said:


Thanks buddy, ordered! :) 

 

Hope you enjoy as much as I have. :) I've managed to find a way to get google maps to "plan" out routes before I go out but the sat nav isn't overly keen on it - Its probably best to work in a compass mode or "oh bugger I need to get somewhere I'll let it sort it out for me" mode.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

 

Hope you enjoy as much as I have. :) I've managed to find a way to get google maps to "plan" out routes before I go out but the sat nav isn't overly keen on it - Its probably best to work in a compass mode or "oh bugger I need to get somewhere I'll let it sort it out for me" mode.


To be honest I have coped all these years without any navigation aids on a bike so I only need a ‘little’ help. But it’s a fun (I hope) easy (no wiring or voice issues) and cheap (relatively) way of finding out. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy old man

My navigation device

1568957916801-525882324.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

20200606-173707.jpg

 

20200606-173915.jpg

 

Trip planner. What can possibly go wrong 😁

 

Andy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

Navigate by the sun or compass if it's cloudy. 

 

I've done several trips with no real idea of destination just direction. Head roughly E or SE then when it's time to come home N and W until you hit water then left or right to the ferry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

 

 

 

10 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Navigate by the sun or compass if it's cloudy. 

 

 

Now we have the means to avoid the effects of the bike on the compass:

 

20200613-103404.jpg

 

20200613-103447.jpg

 

But given the weather forecast and that I can't find the pencil and protractor, I would estimate we'd have our position by about Tuesday. 

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)

I’ve lost count of how many times a map has got me lost (or rather, I got myself lost despite having a map). I’ll stick to navigation :lol:

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
fred_jb

When touring France by car or camper years ago my navigator in chief would occasionally get her turn left and turn right instructions mixed up through not having the map orientated in our direction of travel.  At least with a satnav you have the option to always have your direction of travel at the top of the screen!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Grumpy old man
Posted (edited)

I must admit to using tech the other week, I got completely lost on Otterburn ranges my map was useless as it showed none of the roads and every sign I came to posted A68 or Redesdale:doh: and I wanted to go to the Coquet Valley so I resorted to Google maps and satellite view. Job sorted. :D

Edited by Grumpy old man

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
3 hours ago, Andy m said:

 

 

 

 

Now we have the means to avoid the effects of the bike on the compass:

 

20200613-103404.jpg

 

20200613-103447.jpg

 

But given the weather forecast and that I can't find the pencil and protractor, I would estimate we'd have our position by about Tuesday. 

 

Andy

 

Very nice, a modern take on the WW2 LRDG desert compass.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Defender
On 13/06/2020 at 10:50, Ciaran1602 said:

I’ve lost count of how many times a map has got me lost (or rather, I got myself lost despite having a map). I’ll stick to navigation :lol:

Yes, quite, having a map is one thing, knowing where you are on that map is something else!

I can remember driving quite early one morning and heading roughly towards the M1 on my way north and approaching a roundabout when I was flagged down by some older teenagers, I was a little cautious at first as I was alone and there were several of then, but with rucksacks and walking boots etc, they looked genuine, so I stopped.

They said they were lost and produced an O.S. map, I looked at it and very quickly realised we weren't on that map, a quick look at my road atlas and I was able to show them where we were and how to get back on to the map and on to their destination, I think they were on a DofE expedition/hike.

I made doubly sure that they knew which way to go and actually pointed them in the right direction, they thanked me and I wished them well as we went our separate ways.

On 13/06/2020 at 13:01, fred_jb said:

When touring France by car or camper years ago my navigator in chief would occasionally get her turn left and turn right instructions mixed up through not having the map orientated in our direction of travel.  At least with a satnav you have the option to always have your direction of travel at the top of the screen!

I must admit I was taught not to turn a map when navigating in a car as it's distracting, but it does make sense and the left/right direction much easier.

 

On 13/06/2020 at 10:29, Mr Toad said:

Navigate by the sun or compass if it's cloudy. 

I've done several trips with no real idea of destination just direction. Head roughly E or SE then when it's time to come home N and W until you hit water then left or right to the ferry.

I didn't know you lived on the Isle of Wight?

Share this post


Link to post
listener

Here's my navigation device ... it's a wee bit buggy and installing upgrades is a bitch! :lol:

 

singapore-science-centre-human-brain.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
3 hours ago, listener said:

Here's my navigation device ... it's a wee bit buggy and installing upgrades is a bitch! :lol:

 

singapore-science-centre-human-brain.jpg

Works well as a safety device as well but only if you remember to engage it.😀

Share this post


Link to post
listener
5 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Works well as a safety device as well but only if you remember to engage it.😀

 

Whenever I try engaging mine I get this error message ... :whistle:

 

mess-error-image11.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Gringo
On 07/03/2020 at 09:23, Ciaran1602 said:

I'll keep an eye on my data usage and see if it makes any meaningful impact. I average around the 10gb data per month mark so will see if it increases exponentially with a few longer weekend rides.

Only just come across this thread regarding the Beeline. It looks like a great bit of kit and useful to this old fella who tends to take the odd wrong turn now and again. As I understand it the connection from the phone to the Beeline mounting is via Bluetooth. Does this really eat into the data per month quota? I run Spotify through a bluetooth speaker and haven't noticed any increase in data usage. Sorry if I sound bit 'thick' regarding this it's because...well...I am :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Only just come across this thread regarding the Beeline. It looks like a great bit of kit and useful to this old fella who tends to take the odd wrong turn now and again. As I understand it the connection from the phone to the Beeline mounting is via Bluetooth. Does this really eat into the data per month quota? I run Spotify through a bluetooth speaker and haven't noticed any increase in data usage. Sorry if I sound bit 'thick' regarding this it's because...well...I am :thumbsup:

 

Not at all! There are no "thick" questions accept those that are unasked.

 

Both Spotify, and the Beeline, will need internet to do stuff. Spotify needs internet to stream music content from the great wide chasm of the internet and Beeline needs the internet because it relies on Google Maps for its navigation software. If you have spotify premium you can "download" the songs and store them on your phone's memory rather than stream them over the internet. Think...Recording TV shows so you can watch them later rather than it being sent over the aerial if you will. If not, you stream it from the internet. From memory spotify doesn't use an awful lot of data because it compresses it's files down to save space. This is like folding a big a4 letter up so it squeezes into a little letter envelope and saves you money at the posties.

 

Now bringing it back to the Beeline, it itself has no internet connection. It's actually, in tech terms, kind of "dumb" in that it has a small screen, a gyrometer, GPS aerial and a bluetooth module. That's pretty much it. The way it accesses the internet is by using bluetooth to talk to your phone and nick it's internet connection. Your phone becomes like the little modem box that Virgin or BT or whoever send out to you so you can get internet, only it does it oot and aboot. It means they can make the Beeline module itself as compact, simple and lightweight as they can without complicating it. In theory they could probably make it act on it's own but they'd have to program their own maps, program their "rerouting" software for the entire world. Far easier, and cheaper, for them to buy a licence from google for their mapping system and use that instead. TomTom or Garmin have invested millions in developing their own maps, and their own fancy software that can understand it's position in the world from an offline stored map somewhere in it's memory. The Beeline has no such function.

 

The downside is that because it relies on google's mapping system it needs that internet connection. This means if you don't have signal, you don't have navigation. Similarly if you have a limited amount of internet you run the risk of using it up. It's going to depend entirely on how much internet google maps actually uses. Again I think Google have got pretty good at parceling up the big, juicy a4 letters into small envelopes now precisely because they want to limit data usage. Most of us don't have massive data plans yet.

 

Personally I've not found it made any meaningful impact on my data consumption BUT I have a 60gb plan. I'll admit to being a bit frivolous with internet!

 

Not knowing how technical or not you might be I hope I haven't come across in any way patronising. I find I "get things" best by analogies that I find familiar so hoped that would be the case here!

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

 

12 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Not knowing how technical or not you might be I hope I haven't come across in any way patronising. I find I "get things" best by analogies that I find familiar so hoped that would be the case here!

 

Excellent. Clear and concise. Thanks kiddo! :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy

Thanks @Ciaran1602, A nice accurate description of how it works. Now I’ve got used to the one I have ( thanks Tex) I’m a real fan, it’s just so simple and intuitive. I also have a Garmin on one of my other bikes (it’s currently on my yammie Fazer) but the beeline suits the Super Cub so well and is so easy to use. It really helps if you have a USB port to plug the phone into though, as it can chew through the phone battery a bit. My journey from home to Fovant the other day used 70% of the battery. But if you’ve got that, or a better phone than my motorola e5 play 😁, it really is good. 
I’d also add that I think you need to put a bit of planning effort in to get the best out of it on a route because you can’t just set it to twisty roads like you can a Garmin sat nav. Recommended.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×