Is it just me or is the red battery terminal lead a bit short?

Morph

I have had to disconnect the battery on my NC a couple of times (while away a long period) - the -ve is always simple enough to reconnect afterwards (once you've removed the rubber band), but the +ve .. .the lead is so short I struggle to put a screwdriver behind the nut, and then face up the screw for alignment - that red lead is about 2 cm so the battery won't come out much to angle it more conveniently, and the rubber cover for the red lead is always in the way!

Just put an optimiser eyelet lead on this morning, same issue.  Is there a trick to doing this (yep, first timer, I know) - why is that red lead so short?  And can I safely snip that cover off?

• Morph changed the title to Is it just me or is the red battery terminal lead a bit short?

Your right. The lead is short.

Andy m

One of those PITA production things the Automotive industry is becoming infamous for. A quarter inch of cable costs two groats. Save that on every cable on a million vehicles and your share price goes up half a cent and the chairman's bonus is worth an extra Bentley. Every Quick Thick Fitter who tugs too hard and runs up a bill at the stealer is even better. On one ever said "I'm not buying another Honda, their battery cables, are annoyingly short". 

That said, DAF's are well known for failures at the cab tip hinge because the cables are tight and fleets do change over it. Different market though. 

Andy

Mr Toad

I put a new battery on the Jeep last autumn and the cables had no play what so ever in them.