lipsee

Jump starter battery

lipsee

Last year I bought a starter battery cheap at £30 ,,it was useless,,,sent it back ,,and had to argue to get my money back...but I did,,,but still needed a battery...So this time I researched the subject better..The question was  "What did I really need the battery for?   Well sure I need for emergency starting,,but how often does that really happen,, I needed a spare power sauce  for various things like lights during camping ,plus powering my heated kit while riding my RE himerlayan (I do,nt want to strain the charging system by connecting up h/clothes)infact there are numerous uses s for  a spare 12v battery,,so I looked and came up with the brand Noco... first off I ordered the wrong one without the 12v line out,, had to send back and paymore for the bigger GB70 model ,,, I,m sure glad I did ...because this will start anything this side of a supper tanker,,its a 2000amp jobber..The 12v line out is 5amp as an example it will power two headlight bulbs for 40mins or in theory 59mins according to the specs,,   The one negative about this battery is it did not come with a mains charger,,you can charge via USB (up to 28hours charging time) or from your car ciggy socket,,not really convenient,,so I had to buy the option mains charger  ... So to cap off ,,, this jump starter battery is really good and useful... its not cheap and I do,nt know if its the best ,,but to my mind its blooddy good... regards

• Like 2

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

Very impressive specs, but it looks rather large to take on bike trips.  I have their trickle charger which I've been very happy with - it works through an accessory socket, even one controlled by the BMW Canbus, and also has the ability to work with Lithium main batteries.

I'm not trying to cater for emergency starting or heated gear so would be content with something a lot smaller, and am currently contemplating a combined tyre inflator/torch/power pack type device which would take up less space than my current battery powered pump, while having multiple uses.

Edited by fred_jb

Foxy

Fred I have posted about this jump starter a few times on the forum and have had it a couple of years now. We have it out in Spain and take it on trips, so far it has been used as a torch, charged the phone a few times, pumped up the tyres on the Honda as well as the push bikes more than once and has started a neighbours Range Rover. Great value off the river site for about £75 I think. Charge from the mains or 12vehicle socket and all fits in a neat zipable box.IMG_20200315_190555.jpg.8834ad2936bb2bb13f1a73aa75f0d038.jpg

• Like 1

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

That looks a neat bit of kit, but still a bit big for what I'm after.  I'm trying to get all the stuff I always carry around like pump, tyre plugging kit, and a few extra tools into the limited space under the seat so that the top box is fully available for luggage.  To that end I am looking at things like the following, about 15 cm x 6 cm x 3.5 cm, though they cannot be used for jump starting.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RN4QXKV/?coliid=I1OIA02I8YNHE0&colid=AFMN5W8ANFIE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't want to go too far off topic but would be interested to know if anyone has used one of these.

61vgCTrKdtL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

lipsee
8 hours ago, lipsee said:

Last year I bought a starter battery cheap at £30 ,,it was useless,,,sent it back ,,and had to argue to get my money back...but I did,,,but still needed a battery...So this time I researched the subject better..The question was  "What did I really need the battery for?   Well sure I need for emergency starting,,but how often does that really happen,, I needed a spare power sauce  for various things like lights during camping ,plus powering my heated kit while riding my RE himerlayan (I do,nt want to strain the charging system by connecting up h/clothes)infact there are numerous uses s for  a spare 12v battery,,so I looked and came up with the brand Noco... first off I ordered the wrong one without the 12v line out,, had to send back and paymore for the bigger GB70 model ,,, I,m sure glad I did ...because this will start anything this side of a supper tanker,,its a 2000amp jobber..The 12v line out is 5amp as an example it will power two headlight bulbs for 40mins or in theory 59mins according to the specs,,   The one negative about this battery is it did not come with a mains charger,,you can charge via USB (up to 28hours charging time) or from your car ciggy socket,,not really convenient,,so I had to buy the option mains charger  ... So to cap off ,,, this jump starter battery is really good and useful... its not cheap and I do,nt know if its the best ,,but to my mind its blooddy good... regards

yeah Fred its alittle on the large size,, and it weighs a fair bit,,   but it fits in my tank bag a treat... I keep with me in car or on my bikes,,, starts the RT really good,,the RT is always a lazy starter...regards

White Skark

I bought one of these a year a go, never used it mysely but called out trice by my daughter with a flat battery, put it on the battery and the car started straigh away, they a re a good bit of kit.

The thing I have always found with having too many functions in one unit when one goes you have to replace them all, I carry a shall LED torch, a small pump for the tyres and the strarter unit which I can recharge my phone from it is necessary.