Rear wheel hub blocks

Graham NZ

Graham NZ

While replacing the rear tyre, the cush-drive blocks had attention.  After just 27,000km there is a disappointing amount of wear where the pairs of blocks are linked and fit over the vanes in the driven-hub.  It seems that that part is designed to rub against the driving-hub, presumably without any lubrication. I opted to lube the contact surface of the driving-hub with silicone grease but I doubt that will be effective for long.  I will fit new blocks at the next tyre change.

In line with discussion elsewhere on the Forum the amount of freeplay between the driving and driven hubs was checked.  In my case 1mm synthetic rubber packers fitted against the overrun flat face of the blocks was enough to eliminate the freeplay and still enable the hub to be assembled without too much force.  Silicone grease smeared on all the meeting faces no doubt helped with assembly.

Having once designed and made a cush-drive hub with rubber buffers in it, the NC blocks seem to me to be too hard to be called rubbers and to act as effective shock absorbers.  Not one of Honda's better efforts IMHO.  Reports here are that removing the freeplay does give a better result so fingers crossed.

• Like 2
Graham NZ

Rear-hub-and-chain-2.jpg

This is the rear wheel cush-drive hub I referred to earlier.  The steel duplex sprocket is sandwiched between two cast and then machined alloy plates.  The sprocket has three lugs on the inner edge which have 20mm dia rubber buffers formed from 'barrier cord' on both sides which in turn bear against stops where the three screws can be seen.  No drawings or exploded photos exist now unfortunately.  It worked extremely well for 50,000km.  The inner parts are lubricated with 'rubber' grease through the nipples which show in the photo below.

The castellated ring is part of the QD wheel system.  The hub has it's own central sealed roller bearing.

Single sided swingarms aside, where have all the QD rear wheels gone?  Into the same bin as chain enclosures and functional mudguards.= I guess.  Retrograde progress if there can be such a thing.

Rear-hub-and-chain.jpg

Edited by Graham NZ
muck up of thumbnails
  • Like 2