outrunner

Indicators not working.

outrunner

I was out for a ride yesterday and the indicators on the bike stopped working, no hazards either. When I got home I checked things with the engine off and I can hear the relay ticking a bit faster than normal but no idea what it wrong. Today I shall probably check all the bulbs and connections and try to find the relay which seems to be buried deep inside all the plastic, will report my findings (if any) later.

Andy.

• Thanks 2

Dunnster

Please let us know your findings, could be useful to others. :niceone:

Removing all plastic isn't too bad, still a faff you can do without though! 

• Thanks 1

Andy m

I think you are on the right lines. The relay is seeing the wrong resistance on the lamps side to be clicking faster. 

I changed the headlight bowl on the CL yesterday as the original had obviously been whacked at some point in the last 47 years. This abomination is why mechanics should be banned from touching electrics. 

20200322-141839.jpg

I have the urge to rewire it to modern standards, but fear this will actually upset the classic bike crowd. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Grrr 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

RC166

You can easily tidy that up Andy with a few Scotchlocks!

• Haha 5

listener
23 hours ago, Andy m said:

This abomination is why mechanics should be banned from touching electrics. 

The electronics engineer in me has gone full-scale on the Munch-meter ...

hqdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Andy m

Castrol R drinking, Skidmaster riding, polish and chrome fetishists aside I'm torn on this. There is no where in the headlamp shell to secure distribution blocks. Replacing the bullet connectors with insulated spades or sureseals and cable tieing to the earth studs would calm things down but I'm not sure. Might just put the headlight back and fabricate a fire extinguisher holder.

Andy

• Haha 1

Tex

Sorry, Andy, not seeing your problem? Those bullet connectors were put there at the Honda factory. What’s not right about them?

Andy m

They are open, they turn, half of them pop out if you stare hard at them, the wires are all bent back on themselves and kinked, nothing to stop them rubbing against each other.... 

Half a century ago I suppose they were better than soldered on ring connectors bolted through and taped over, but we can now do better. 

The fact the connections are now weak and the plastic brittle makes me want to update it. Leaving alone until it fails is less effort. What I won't do is buy a load of 1970's NOS and make a homage to Joe Lucas. 

I've also found a 1 Ohm resistor bodged onto the lamp holder for the highbeam tell tale. This isn't on the wiring diagram but looks old. Only thought so far is that by raising the resistance the lower load on the lamp made it last longer and protected the sealed beam headlight? They are in series so this tiny heater in the shell is making the main beam and its tell tale dimmer. The tell tale is going LED and will be tested with an H4 as sealed beams are silly money. As it's daylight use only I've been looking for an LED sealed beam unit. I'm not the VJMC Christmas card list 😁

Andy

Tex

Yeah, yeah, but you’re just describing the standard electrics on a 50 year old bike. It’s your comment about mechanics that has me puzzled?

On 23/03/2020 at 11:49, Andy m said:

This abomination is why mechanics should be banned from touching electrics. 

I don’t see who’s done what to offend you?

Andy m

Sorry I was referring to Mechanical Engineers. No electrical (or pneumatic or hydraulic) person would produce the tangled knitting look then stuff it into the headlight shell to hide the mess.

Andy

• Thanks 1

outrunner

Got the indicators fixed today, eventually. Thinking it was the relay I tried another one, just happens my son's Fireblade has got the panels off and uses the same relay. Result was..........no better so time to dig deeper. Checked all the indicator bulbs just to be sure then removed the left hand panel to have a look in there and found the problem. Seems a bit of corrosion had got in to the connector and one wire was totaly detached from the plug body. As there was no sign of corrosion on the rest of the plug it was just a case of soldering in a bridge wire from the harness to by-pass the connector................job done, see picture below to identify the plug in case anyone else needs to do the same. In fact, I would reckon on checking that plug if you have any electrical problems as there are quite a few wires go through it to power goodness knows what else. At least now I know that my bike will sit in the shed for God knows how long with the indicators working just waiting for the OK from Boris. :whistle:

49701823121_6206f82172_b.jpg

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

listener
10 minutes ago, outrunner said:

At least now I know that my bike will sit in the shed for God knows how long with the indicators working just waiting for the OK from Boris. :whistle:

I'd say you Soutars checking your boundary for damned Englishmen is "essential business", Andy! :thumbsup::D

• Haha 1

outrunner
4 minutes ago, listener said:

I'd say you Soutars checking your boundary for damned Englishmen is "essential business", Andy! :thumbsup::D

No checks this year Tommy, all the festivals have been cancelled.

Andy.

listener
10 minutes ago, outrunner said:

No checks this year Tommy, all the festivals have been cancelled.

Yep, I know - the Ridings, Jim Clark Rally, Melrose 7s ...

were-all-doomed.jpg