Strange Failure..

Somkid

Hi I have a 2016 NC700x  (DCT)  I had a pilot bulb fail and managed to get the awkward bulb and holder out.

A new bulb did not fix it... but now it's turned into a much more serious issue.

When you turn ignition on - no dash lights. The fuel pump can be heard and the headlight comes on but no other electrics work, no tail light, indicators etc etc. Just the headlight.

The bike will start and drive but will not change gear. It the throws itself to neutral.

Occasionally when tuning on ignition their is a click click noise that sound like the solenoid trying to connect.

I have checked all the fuses in the small fuse box, all ok. battery is ok, it starts the bike immediately when this issue is in the frame of mind to let it do so! as a cross check I tried a new battery from my other bike (almost identical amps)

Am wondering if the bulb fused and has somehow screwed the ECU?

Appreciate any suggestions on things to check. ??

Andy m

It's not the ECU. Only welding, jump starting and petrol leaks destroy ECU's. 

It is like the kill switch is off? There is a short or break in the loom somewhere between the ignition switch and where it splits to power the dash and pilot light. You need a wiring diagram (talk to Ted in Admin if no one posts one) and I would start with the connectors nearest that awkward lamp holder. 

Sorry to say this could be a lot of time to find a loose pin, so steady, patient and logical is the order of the day IMHO. 

Andy

• Like 1
embee

Start with checking the connector on the back of the instrument panel. Ideally take it out, check the pins look clean, spray with contact cleaner (WD40 if you must) and fit it in/out a few times. The instrument pack does some processing and the DCT might be getting bad signals.

The other common culprit is a tired battery or poor connection onto the terminals, but it sounds like yours is probably OK.

• Like 1

Mine did this. It was the fuse.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies, Makman any idea which fuse?  I checked all those small ones and they seem ok (checked with meter)  It does seem like a fuse or connector issue, was all working before i pulled at the wiring to get the pilot light out!

Was my main one for dash etc... you need to check every single one of them one by one.  I found it that way.

Fortunatly I had a box of spares in the AMP and size.  Tiny teeny little horrors they are.

I wonder if you’ve dislodged or damaged a wire or connector when you got into the lightbulb; presumably you had to take apart the head light assembly to do this too.

Definitely not a fuse.. I have it all apart now and checked all the connectors, even fuse connectivity from the back of the fuse box.

I can get the dash to light up and sidelight / indicator circuit to come alive by patching a wire (fused of course) from battery live to the side light circuit.

With wire connected, bike starts and drives - but sometimes gives an 86 (connectivity error I think) and the ABS warning stays on for 5 mins.

everything now works so pretty sure there is no short.

starting to think its a break in the loom somewhere.and probably my patch wire not feeding some other parts or messaging...  

Think its a main dealer fix - I dont have the tools or knowledge for this.

Think I will leave this patch wire in place but not connected, with easy ability to connect it at the fuse box to the battery if this reoccurs while out riding! It would get me home.

Basically blowing the side / pilot bulb left me stranded...

Edited by Somkid
bad typing..
embee

Had a quick look at the 700 wiring diag. 

There is a connector they call "junction B", it's shown in the pic here, it says it's orange.

This takes multiple pink/blue wires with 12V from fuse 7 (7.5A) to various things, including the position lights, display ignition, speed sensor, horn etc. Interestingly the front brake switch gets power from junction B, but the rear brake switch gets 12V direct from the fuse7. 

It would be worth investigating the wires from junctionB, if the rear brake works then fuse7 is OK, if the brake light doesn't come on with the front switch or the horn doesn't work then junctionB might not be getting power from the fuse7.

5e86061191cff_NC700junctionBposition.jpg.dab93fb77cfba86a81598688714730fa.jpg

5e86062188c71_NC700junctionB.jpg.910ee17c382589895aae090207c0f47a.jpg

5e8606355efd0_NC700fuses.jpg.f96d93c503ece149cd7ae398898c7fe9.jpg

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
KingJames

I feel nauseous after looking at all those wires

Mr Toad
24 minutes ago, KingJames said:

I feel nauseous after looking at all those wires

It all makes sense to me. :) 

We each have our skills, give me a load of wires and a diagram and I'm a happy bunny. Or wires, no diagram and a multi meter.......

What's the pilot bulb? Is this the dipped beam bulb in the headlight? Or something else?

listener
34 minutes ago, djsb said:

What's the pilot bulb? Is this the dipped beam bulb in the headlight? Or something else?

The low wattage lamp at the front; also known as the position light or parking light.

Thanks all for the replies.. I got it sorted, it was the fuse holder (not the fuse itself)  for the fuse that covers the display, parking lights, horn etc Had to take the fuse box out of its carrier and work from the back.  Would do more damage than good to try and get the wires out of the box itself so I spliced in an identical (but larger format) fuse separately but still accessible .

I hate electrics! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3