eco mode

Pobbles

Hello peeps,

Can't seem to find much in the manual for eco mode. Does it significantly improve fuel consumption? Does it adversely affect ommph? Do you use it?

NX750S 2016

Cheers 👍

suffolk58

My older (2013) NCX only had Drive and Sport (if I remember correctly) and apart from the first day I got it, and was experimenting, it stayed permanently in sport. (D for dreary) may have saved a little bit of fuel, but life's too short to worry. The NC's fuel economy is excellent, whatever mode you are in.

Likewise I played with the various modes on my current Africa Twin when I got it, but it's spent the last year in the middle sport mode and the traction control on 2.

However if I'm ever out in the middle of nowhere, with the fuel lamp on, and the prospect of a petrol station scant, I'd go onto dreary mode, ride slowly and hold my breath. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

but life's too short to worry

Excellent point!

Just excited that this bike's got MODES. My 125 was as analogue as a cuckoo clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
embee

There's no "eco mode" as such, just the D and S (1 or 3) modes for you to select. As for eco, that depends primarily on how heavy your right arm is.

For best economy, always check the tyre pressures are correct, make sure the brakes aren't dragging, and ride gently, simple stuff really. 

Of course to use the least possible fuel, …………………………………………….. walk. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
bahnstormer

Is yours a DCT model?  If I remember correctly, selecting ECO mode on a manual bike will cause the rev counter to change colour.  That's it! :lol: 

• Thanks 1

I leave mine in D to be honest, NC700 and it pootles along nicely. London traffic and all that.  I use S for special occasions, to annoy scooters and bikes who think that they are fast.... and I remember how slow I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The eco mode refers to the display setting. The rev indicator turns green when you're being economical. It works on the DCT too. That's how I have mine set and have a trip meter showing just under 90mpg over 5K+ miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Like suffolk58, I only use D when I’m desperate  to conserve fuel. Otherwise, I use an S mode as it’s livelier and for me, a more engaging ride. 

Edited by RC166
  • Thanks 1
embee
3 hours ago, elbee said:

The eco mode refers to the display setting. The rev indicator turns green when you're being economical. It works on the DCT too. That's how I have mine set and have a trip meter showing just under 90mpg over 5K+ miles.

Aha! These new fangled posh things. Mine is still steam driven.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, elbee said:

8 hours ago, bahnstormer said:

Is yours a DCT model?  If I remember correctly, selecting ECO mode on a manual bike will cause the rev counter to change colour.  That's it! :lol: 

So, yes. I figured it out after I posted this and spent the afternoon fiddling with the buttons. The manual is vague, so I only feel 50% as embarrassed as I should do. I thought it had an effect on power delivery but it seems it changes something a different colour. Well there you go.

Thanks for the responses though.

90mpg is heroic...

• Like 3
PoppetM
1 minute ago, Pobbles said:

So, yes. I figured it out after I posted this and spent the afternoon fiddling with the buttons. The manual is vague, so I only feel 50% as embarrassed as I should do. I thought it had an effect on power delivery but it seems it changes something a different colour. Well there you go.

90mpg is heroic...

Wait till you need to change the clock next week 😀 and no...you won’t be alone with the number of us that just left it an hour out until the next clock change / or service, which ever came first. 

I found the colours calmed me down, at would aim for green mostly, of it went amber as knew I needed to calm down a bit....! Mostly it was blue or green!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Wait till you need to change the clock next week 😀 and no...you won’t be alone with the number of us that just left it an hour out until the next clock change / or service, which ever came first. 

I found the colours calmed me down, at would aim for green mostly, of it went amber as knew I needed to calm down a bit....! Mostly it was blue or green!

Well I'm currently riding like a toddler using stabilisers...

• Like 2
bahnstormer
10 hours ago, Pobbles said:

90mpg is heroic...

No need to feel embarrassed, like you say, the manual doesn't properly explain it and in these days of selectable riding modes, it's easy to make the same mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
listener
19 hours ago, embee said:

Damned noisy, dirty, smelly contraptions ...

They'll never catch on, you know! :no:

574fde0c-87a3-4c2e-a93b-90490d4206a3_1.0

• Haha 5
17 hours ago, Pobbles said:

I only feel 50% as embarrassed as I should do

Embarrassed? Several times I've sat on the bike at a filling station and managed to dim the display or start altering display modes when all I wanted to do was press a button to reset the damn trip meter. :BangHead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, elbee said:

Embarrassed? Several times I've sat on the bike at a filling station and managed to dim the display or start altering display modes when all I wanted to do was press a button to reset the damn trip meter. :BangHead:

Haha. It's not intuitive, is it?

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Defender
On 24/03/2020 at 16:42, embee said:

Yours and mine both, is your 'imperial' or 'metric' steam Murray?

embee
10 minutes ago, Defender said:

Yours and mine both, is your 'imperial' or 'metric' steam Murray?

Bushels and furlongs all the way.

• Haha 1
PoppetM
On 25/03/2020 at 15:45, elbee said:

Not alone, often did that then drove home to sort the dimness of the display out!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Steve Case

I tried to reset the Trip A and changed the dash color scheme.... I have no idea how!

outrunner

A 20 minute tutorial to set up the dash, be just as quick, if not quicker to sit on the bike and do it with the handbook in front of you. :D

Andy.

kayz1

I never bothered with mine as it is only ever an hour out on the clock..

When away in for-in lands SteveM always reset the miles to K's for me.

then back again to miles on the train home:D

• Like 3
Steve Case

I may investigate the colour settings at some point if I can be arsed, and set all the colours the same or off or something.

Spindizzy

Mine has the eco option. Pointless waste of time, all of it. What I wanted was an easy to see LCD display. I want a rev counter to show revs. Not some  psychedelic aura. Shame I couldn’t spec the one I had on my 2014X. Much better and easier to see and didn’t try to give you epilepsy. 

• Haha 1