sams700

Battery cigarette connection

sams700
Posted (edited)

Ok so I am being thick but can I get a crimped cable with a 'socket' that allows me to fit a cigarette power interface or so I need to cut the cigarette lighter bit off and use that.  Alternatively can I get us to.cigarette feed as I have a powered usb connection on the bars 

Edit found a connector from usb to DIN. Am I best using this or connecting the DIN to a crimped connection directly to the battery.

It's all for a TomTom GPS.

Thanks Sam 

Edited by sams700
Added information

Andy m
Posted (edited)

USB2 is rated at half an amp, DIN at 16 and a cigarette lighter type at between 5A and 20A.

Read the spec that comes with the sat nag and find what the draw is. I suspect from experience it is more than half an amp. 

A DIN or cigarette lighter socket will usually come with screw or spade terminals. Follow the wire from the USB back and it's hopefully connected into the relay switched auxiliary on the NC's loom. This will have a 10 Amp fuse, so an insulated piggyback connector as close to that as possible and you have the means to run a bit of suitably sized 2 core up to the socket. 

These guys sell all you need. 

VWP

Andy

Edited by Andy m

sams700

Thanks Andy, I actually have no idea what I am doing.  I think I may just get another tomtom rider battery cable and connect that straight to the battery, just need to fit some crimps to it.

embee

Bear in mind that things like plug-in USB adapters often take quite a significant current draw even when nothing is plugged into them, so I'd advise against hard wiring anything like that to the battery. Best to go via a switched supply, only on when the ignition is on.

I do have my satnav powered via a manual switch on the handlebars with a red LED beside it so I don't forget to switch it off. It allows me to fire up the satnav while getting myself wrapped up and ready to go, and also it powers a std 12V accessory socket (10A) so I can plug a tyre compressor in it if necessary without the ignition on, and charge a phone etc while camping using a plug-in USB.

sams700

Thanks, I  think I will have to rewire from the battery with a switched live.

KingJames
On 26/03/2020 at 07:50, Andy m said:

USB2 is rated at half an amp

Crikey, really?  Any idea what the USB rating is in most modern cars?  That wouldn't really charge an ipad sized device if it is being used at the same time as charging.  

Andy m
4 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Crikey, really?  Any idea what the USB rating is in most modern cars?  That wouldn't really charge an ipad sized device if it is being used at the same time as charging.  

Correct. 

Try it. Play music and use the phone as a sat nag with the screen on and the battery will drop away. 

The USB style socket on say a Samsung rapid charger can do 2A but that isn't a USB there is no data. Samsung therefore provide you with a charger cable.  Ford don't provide a cable so should only be 0.5A.

If you are lucky the spec sheet with a handlebar mounted USB comes with a spec sheet in English. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

KingJames

Thanks.  One of my cars does apple car play through it so must be doing data and the other is a music and power one.  Didn't realise what a small load that provided so a cig lighter to usb adaptor that does up to 2A is a better choice for a quick charge.  Fortunately as a non smoker that's what I have in those slots anwyays.