Resets...

Somkid

Apologies if this has been asked many times but I cant locate any useful info via the search options...

Often posts mention ECM and DCT 'reset' procedures but never show how to do them just that the op has done them?

Does anyone have instructions on how to perform these?

crazyhorse

Get the motor up to normal running temperature

With transmission in N for neutral,  switch off the ignition to stop the motor

With the ignition off FULLY OPEN the THROTTLE and press AND HOLD the switch into D

Switch the ignition on but DON'T START THE MOTOR (Whilst still holding throttle open as well as the D button)

Wait, until you see in the dashboard display the yellow symbol for the motor disappear, then let go of the D key that you have been pressing (Still hold throttle open)

As fast as you can press the sequence

D D N D N

In the dashboard display BOTH the letters D and S should appear

CLOSE THE THROTTLE

Start the motor but DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE

After a few seconds the letters D and S extinguish

Select N and turn off the ignition key

There is no ECU re-set (no matter what you may have heard/seen/read).

The DCT (actually a clutch re-activation) re-set Paul has given above is for (I think) the later (post 2016) models. Early ones differ slightly. What model do you actually have?

• Like 1
crazyhorse

Is this for the ecu?-

disconnect battery 30 minutes.

reconnect.

turn on with key.

start but do not touch throttle .

leave till cooling fan cuts in.

turn off engine by kill switch. then key . 

If that does anything at all it will allow the idle speed sensor to re-learn (dubious choice of phrase) it’s setting. The ECU runs pre-programmed maps, you will read about disconnecting it, standing on one leg with your dick out and muttering dark incantations to the moon.. but.. the programming remain the same. 

Disconnecting it for half an hour may restore ‘normal service’ if there’s been a glitch of some sort, just like re-booting your PC. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
alhendo1
49 minutes ago, Tex said:

about disconnecting it, standing on one leg with your dick out and muttering dark incantations to the moon

Is that in the Honda Manual🤔

• Haha 7
KingJames
33 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

Is that in the Honda Manual🤔

Lawyers wouldn't let it in for being sexist but it's the wise words that should not be ignored.  Bit like grease your links.

• Like 2
PoppetM

No idea but I am sat crying with laughter at my PC... 

When my husband next asks me how to do something, he is getting that line :dielaugh: Thanks Tex!!! 

• Haha 1
Andy m

You have to slaughter a chicken and dance naked, there's always naked dancing. 

Andy

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

You have to slaughter a chicken and dance naked, there's always naked dancing. 

Andy

Oh yes! Love the naked dancing! :niceone:

KingJames

No evidence cabin fever has crept in

• Haha 1
PoppetM
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

You have to slaughter a chicken and dance on one leg naked muttering dark incantations to the moon, there's always naked dancing. 

Andy

Amended :) 

I still prefer Tex's one though

Edited by PoppetM
  • Like 1
Andy m
9 minutes ago, KingJames said:

No evidence cabin fever has crept in

Wait until it really gets going. Videos of naked dancing 😲😦😉😉😉

Andy

• Haha 1
KingJames

My natural bias has a preference of forum member demographics.  It's only a bias and a preference, don't let me put you off.

No evidence of cabin fever what so ever.  Wine time.

Edited by KingJames

Well it looks like you have all been locked down and alone for a bit tooo long.. I'm in Thailand so am still free to ride both drunk and helmetless!  anyway, Mine is I think a 2014 model so if there is a different sequence I'd appreciate an update on it.  Not sure if the bike needs it but I cant get past 70 in first gear so something must be wrong.

• Haha 1
embee

The earlier models with just the one S mode required that you DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE at any point during the process, otherwise the same as the later ones, i.e. do not touch the throttle, hold D and turn on ignition, release D after the check engine light goes out etc etc

Note that it must be at normal operating temperature when you do it, without the fan running. If it is not hot enough it will display either a lower case or upper case "L" in the display (L=low), in which case run it until it gets up to temperature.

If for some reason the procedure fails to complete, simply switch off, wait a short time, and do it again.

Edited by embee
Griff

From memory there is a slightly different procedure on my 2017 to previous years. Might be no harm to get the exact procedure for one's particular model year. 

• 2 weeks later...
SteveThackery
On 3/27/2020 at 10:03, crazyhorse said:

Is this for the ecu?-

disconnect battery 30 minutes.

reconnect.

turn on with key.

start but do not touch throttle .

leave till cooling fan cuts in.

turn off engine by kill switch. then key . 

No.  There is no reset procedure for the ECU.  Check the shop manual if you find that hard to believe.

• Like 2
Reckless
On 27/03/2020 at 11:28, Tex said:

If that does anything at all it will allow the idle speed sensor to re-learn (dubious choice of phrase) it’s setting. The ECU runs pre-programmed maps, you will read about disconnecting it, standing on one leg with your dick out and muttering dark incantations to the moon.. but.. the programming remain the same. 

Disconnecting it for half an hour may restore ‘normal service’ if there’s been a glitch of some sort, just like re-booting your PC. 

The same reset technique is used on the mustang, just remember to stand on your left leg

• Haha 1