oil and filter

Pobbles

Morning,

Whilst the bike is gathering dust, I thought I'd do some mid-service maintenance. Looks like it probably hasn't had an oil change for 4k.

Should the filter always be replaced when doing an oil change? Or is that something that could wait until it's 16k service? Also, does the oil nut washer ALWAYS have to be changed after an oil change? Basically, can I just pop the bottom plug, empty it and refill it? I've got a torque wrench.

Cheers, P.

outrunner

Why would you put clean oil through a dirty filter? I usually fit a new sump plug washer, they cost pennies but if it looks good it will probably do.

Andy.

• Like 4

Back when Moto-Guzzi had their oil filters inside the sump (only 16 bolts and a new gasket! :( OMG! They don’t still do that?! Do they?) it was, sometimes, tempting to change the oil and not the filter, but I don’t see the point in a Honda. Do it right or leave it alone.

If you’re really looking for a job to do (one that’s actually worthwhile) strip out and grease the shock linkage. Any grease the factory used will have disappeared long since and the combined efforts of Jane Marple, Hercule Poirot and Sherlock bloody Holmes will never explain where it went..

(“The answer is clear, Watson, it was never there in the first place!”)

• Like 3
skorpion

My take on this is always do the maintenance you are capable of yourself, you then know it has been done, leave the rest to a mechanic/dealer.

Personally I have never changed the oil drain plug washer on any bike I've owned in 40 years, never had one leak, though this is not a recommendation,

as Tex say's above strip down the rear shock linkage as very little or no grease was applied at the factory.

A good cleaning will also help find area's that also need attention.

• Like 3
Grumpy old man

Mmm! At a risk of being shot down I'd be careful with the torque wrench, you don't want to strip the sump plug.

I think Tex has the right idea about the suspension links if you have a centre stand it's quite an easy job. If you do change oil think about using Castrol power 1 it really made my gears easier to use ( on a manual , not sure about DCT) this was a tip from the all knowing forum members, I thank them.

• Like 1
Andy m

An uncalibrated torque wrench that has been sat in a cupboard for a year or ten is just a long bar, often a massivly over long bar with rust stopping it slipping until way way over the desired setting. Using such a wrench set to the right number still strips the plug. Using a short ring spanner or Allen key and stopping when you feel resistance at worse produces a drip the next morning. If it drips give it another quarter turn until it stops. The tool kit that used to come with bikes usually had the right length tool, you don't need a ten foot bar with a 20 stone bloke hanging off it. 

Guzzi now have a cover to access the filter. If it lines up its two bolts and a filter cup (and then the other drain plugs and different fluids for gearbox and final drive). If Giuseppe has been on the vino it's sump off because the filter cup won't go in the hole. You probably only have to do this once. 

I would never use new oil through an old filter without good reason. Honda are probably changing oil way too soon, but without analysing what comes out you can't be sure. A filter is two minutes and a tenner, so why skimp. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do not under any circumstances torque an oil filter to the figure that Honda quote! I’m not sure if they have finally amended the torque figure, but for years, for many Honda models it was ridiculous!

Just do it by feel with your hand. 

• Like 3

Thanks Andy. Filter ordered, I don't have a filter wrench, so was being a wee bit lazy. I will remedy that!

I'm new to self-maintaining machines so forgive my ignorance. On my last bike, my learner 125 I got a Haynes manual and thoroughly enjoyed fiddling and doing some of the easier bits myself..

2 minutes ago, RC166 said:

Do not under any circumstances torque an oil filter to the figure that Honda quote! I’m not sure if they have finally amended the torque figure, but for years, for many Honda models it was ridiculous!

Just do it by feel with your hand. 

Great advice thanks 👍

rjp996

i would recommend the oil filter kit that Honda sell that comes with the filter socket tool - very useful and cheap when combined with the filter.

If you have a DCT - the clutch filter is changed every other oil service (which takes 3 mins- 10 seconds to sit on floor, 60 seconds to change, 1min 50 seconds to get back up off the floor) ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
27 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

i would recommend the oil filter kit that Honda sell that comes with the filter socket tool - very useful and cheap when combined with the filter.

If you have a DCT - the clutch filter is changed every other oil service (which takes 3 mins- 10 seconds to sit on floor, 60 seconds to change, 1min 50 seconds to get back up off the floor) ;-)

Unless you own an Integra or X-Adv. then the plastic has to come off. It’s not so bad after about the third time.. :D 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

i would recommend the oil filter kit that Honda sell that comes with the filter socket tool - very useful and cheap when combined with the filter

Great! Where would one find a proper Honda kit? Is there a site or something? Thanks 👍👍👍

Andy m

There is the K&N style option where the main filter has a nut built into it. Take the Honda one off by winding a strap round, plumbing grips or hammering a screwdriver through it, then the new one goes on with a 17 or 19mm ring spanner. Check the nut won't foul the exhaust, on the CB there is a quarter of an inch clearance, I can't remember on the NC. 

Given filter cups aren't that much I'd only rush to do this if planning to have to change one away from home. 

Fowlers or any Honda dealer that is open can sell you a kit. Or just include "genuine kit" when searching on the auction site and look for the logo. The paint on Honda filters seems to last better than K&N too. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Thanks 1

So ordered the K&N filter and Castrol Power 1.

Looking forward to the satisfying new-oil-in-bike feeling.

Thanks for above advice all.

trisaki
8 hours ago, Pobbles said:

Morning,

Whilst the bike is gathering dust, I thought I'd do some mid-service maintenance. Looks like it probably hasn't had an oil change for 4k.

Should the filter always be replaced when doing an oil change? Or is that something that could wait until it's 16k service? Also, does the oil nut washer ALWAYS have to be changed after an oil change? Basically, can I just pop the bottom plug, empty it and refill it? I've got a torque wrench.

Cheers, P.

If yours is dct use 10w30 , dct prefers it (suppose to have) manual versions dont seem to mind 10w30 or 10w40 , sump bolt torque isn't particularly high ,cant remember  as I'm not at wshop  believe mid twenties  ,dont over tightened 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the owners manual says 10w30. Oil ain't cheap though! Last bike took less than 1ltr mind you...