brake fluid changes

scottiedoug

scottiedoug

Did you know that the brake fluid should be changed every two years. My NC750X-DCT is a 2105 and no record of when the brake fluid was changed (if it was). Before you start make sure you have enough fresh Brake fluid, and  Warning that brake fluid is a great paint stripper. I bought a one way valve unit that makes the job of bleeding easy.

The front Brake is easy but remember to cover the bike plastic before you start. A wee tip before trying to use the philips screwdriver and gronching up the lid screw get a toffy hammer and tap the screws holding the lid on,  this helps to release the screws, then use the philips screwdriver.

Everyone has their own way of bleeding brakes  but I have  a syringe and sook out the fluid in the reservoir to near the bottom then top it up with fresh. fit the bleed tube with the one way valve and gently squeeze the brake lever and watch the fluid level go down, I then top up with fresh  and do the same again. top up and replace lid "grease screws" Front done.

The rear reservoir id a wee bit trickier, one bolt holds it to the frame, take that out and you get the reservoir out but the lid gets a fair bit of road dirt so be prepared for trouble. I did the tap with the toffy hammera few times while holding it and managed to get the screws to move then wd40 under them.  The same procedure as the front.  The underside of the lid and the screws had corrosion on them so I cleaned and greased before fitting. While we are all in this lock down and looking to fill your time. Thats another wee job done.

lid screws small.jpg

corrosion inside lid small.jpg

reservoir small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Grumpy old man

Did mine a few weeks ago in preparation for my big ride☹.

Andy m

Good write up.

Old fluid smells rotten. It's not a test you can use as its bad and rotting seals well before it stinks. The worst I ever changed was on some MOD kit that has been "mislaid" for 25 years. 2 yearly changes may be a bit conservative, 5 though is pushing their luck. 

This is the favoured toy

20200110-131343.jpg

Connects to the garage compressor

I would be wary of the traditional jam jar method with ABS systems. The modulators have small passages that when closed by the solenoid valve are dead ends. They can trap air. Harley had a huge recall as their modulator mounting creates such a trap and the only way to clear it is to cycle the ABS (I don't know if keying the ignition is enough, they use the diagnostic tool). Landrover modulators (as supplied to the MOD) have the same problem so are supplied "wet". You get a silver foil bag with a modulator prefilled with fluid. It is a messy job. 

I think this is what puts people off. Take your time and be methodical with watching the reservoir while the nipple is open and it's easy enough. 

Andy

• Like 4

Good info there and always nice to see photos. It’s surprising that we can have huge discussions about best engine oils and long debates about how often that should be changed, yet brake fluid often gets overlooked and neglected.

Those countersunk screws for the reservoir cap do corrode and chew up easily, and a Phillips driver will cope on most occasions, but a proper JIS driver can make a big difference. I’ve got a Vessel T handle JIS driver, it’s old and not in prime condition, but I can still feel that it fits perfectly and has never let me down. A worthwhile addition to your toolkit!

• Thanks 4
Grumpy old man
35 minutes ago, RC166 said:

Those countersunk screws for the reservoir cap do corrode and chew up easily, and a Phillips driver will cope on most occasions, but a proper JIS driver can make a big difference. I’ve got a Vessel T handle JIS driver, it’s old and not in prime condition, but I can still feel that it fits perfectly and has never let me down. A worthwhile addition to your toolkit!

Big thanks I had no idea about JIS ( Japanese industry Standard) screw drivers. I have 2 T screw drivers that I bought 40 years ago from Bill Heads in Preston I always thought they were just good Phillip's drivers. That explains a lot.👍👍👍 Silly old Grumpy.

• Like 2
Andy m
49 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

I always thought they were just good Phillip's drivers

OMG, thank goodness we are on here not the VJMC. It'd be like popping down to Mecca and saying you thought they'd be fine with pork pies so long as the brown sauce shipment landed! Probably end up worse than an oil thread. 

Now this bloke has a beard and lumberjack shirt so probably is both VJMC and BMWC so must know his stuff (and probably carries acetylene crystals in his pipe pouch) 

I think we got away with it there chaps and no one mentioned pozidrive. 😁

Andy

• Haha 1