C spanner for OE Showa monoshock

wjvh

Hi, I need a c spanner to adjust the preload on the OE Showa monoshock on my nc700s. Does anyone know what the spec is for this tool? Size, dimensions, etc? I’m sure with that info I can track down the right one on eebay. Thanks, Will

bahnstormer

Honda don't seem to list one for the 700, but for the 750 they show this (item 7) - might be worth a try?  The shocks for the 750 are a different part number to the 700 but according to info on here they are all the same part.....

image.png.e25dc6d8b068b9617ed136d280b6da3e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
embee
57 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

Honda don't seem to list one for the 700, …….

The 700 shock didn't have the cam type preload adjuster, they just had two lock-rings on a threaded section of the shock body. While they could be adjusted on the bench it was not something you could do in-situ, so no use for a C-spanner in the toolkit.

I'm not sure what the size of the lock-rings was, I no longer have the OE shock from my bike (it's doing sterling service on a courier's bike as far as I'm aware). I would suggest possibly considering one of the "adjustable" types with a hinged section with the hook. You need to know more or less what diameter you need to fit, but at least it will accommodate a range of sizes. Sealey do them, at least a known name with fairly decent quality. Halfords probably do them too, or Machine Mart.

Example here https://workshopping.co.uk/spanners-wrenches/hook-wrenches/sealey-smc2s-adjustable-c-spanner-hook-pin-wrench-set-3pc-19-51mm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7O6m3d_i6AIVg4jVCh1DUAmKEAQYAiABEgIwh_D_BwE

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Grumpy old man
30 minutes ago, embee said:

The 700 shock didn't have the cam type preload adjuster, they just had two lock-rings on a threaded section of the shock body. While they could be adjusted on the bench it was not something you could do in-situ, so no use for a C-spanner in the toolkit.

I'm not sure what the size of the lock-rings was, I no longer have the OE shock from my bike (it's doing sterling service on a courier's bike as far as I'm aware). I would suggest possibly considering one of the "adjustable" types with a hinged section with the hook. You need to know more or less what diameter you need to fit, but at least it will accommodate a range of sizes. Sealey do them, at least a known name with fairly decent quality. Halfords probably do them too, or Machine Mart.

Example here https://workshopping.co.uk/spanners-wrenches/hook-wrenches/sealey-smc2s-adjustable-c-spanner-hook-pin-wrench-set-3pc-19-51mm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7O6m3d_i6AIVg4jVCh1DUAmKEAQYAiABEgIwh_D_BwE

Where are the measurements taken, from inside or outside the castleations

embee
1 hour ago, Grumpy old man said:

Where are the measurements taken, from inside or outside the castleations

I've always assumed it's the outside diameter of the rings. There's probably a standard somewhere, DIN or similar, but it's not something I've ever looked into. 

• Thanks 1

I've just measured the old one from my Integra with my digital wosname and its 65.25 mm.

• Thanks 2
Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, wjvh said:

I’ve ordered a medium sized Sealey adjustable C spanner 32-76mm, less than £20 delivered. Hopefully that’ll do the job as well as a few other jobs! Cheers, Will

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637753890/adjustable-c-spanner---hook-pin-wrench-set-4pc-32-76mm

Let me know if it works.

Cheers 

• Like 2
Griff

I recall being able to adjust the spring preload on my former NC700X using two C Spanners, one to hold the lower ring and the other with an extension bar to loosen the lockring.  However I also recall that it was an extremely difficult job as there was very little space to facilitate fitment of both spanners. Hopefully I am not mistaking the process with another bike. 

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

I recall being able to adjust the spring preload on my former NC700X using two C Spanners, one to hold the lower ring and the other with an extension bar to loosen the lockring.  .... Hopefully I am not mistaking the process with another bike. 

This does sound like it would be the NC, that’s pretty much what I’m expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Tool has arrived. I can't get a good purchase on the locking rings with the shock in situ, so I'm going to have to remove the shock ... having scoured the forum this doesn't look too tricky. Might do it this weekend. Tool seems fine but haven't been able to use it in anger yet.

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, wjvh said:

Tool has arrived. I can't get a good purchase on the locking rings with the shock in situ, so I'm going to have to remove the shock ... having scoured the forum this doesn't look too tricky. Might do it this weekend. Tool seems fine but haven't been able to use it in anger yet.

Hammer and long screwdriver for the locking ring, you only have to turn it a fraction then the bottom ring should turn relatively easy with spanner. 

Hmmmm, two things, firstly I don't think this has been touched in 8 years and 46K miles so might not be as easy as that.

Secondly, I've now spent £20 on a tool and I am damned well gonna use it!

(I might try this actually ... cheers).

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
20 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Hmmmm, two things, firstly I don't think this has been touched in 8 years and 46K miles so might not be as easy as that.

Secondly, I've now spent £20 on a tool and I am damned well gonna use it!

(I might try this actually ... cheers).

Good luck. Once the lock ring is cracked then you can use the new tool to wind down.

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • 2 weeks later...

Still haven't got around to using this tool ... all I can say is that it looks good and plenty adaptable for its purpose.

The reason I haven't used it? When I finally had a good look at the shock I found that it is in fact already at max preload so I can't add anymore there. It is too soft at this level and bottoming out so I think I'll start saving for a new one, plus might as well overhaul the front end at the same time. I'm pretty sure the bike is on it's original shock and springs which puts them at 46K miles and 8 years, so a new set at this point isn't too extravagant (is it?). Thinking perhaps Hagon kit (good value and UK company) but looking at end of year for that as I can't be bothered now having spent so much spare time working on my motorbikes in the last few weeks, I need a break.