10/30 or 10/40 oil ?

Spike

after 35+ years working with vehicles from 50cc bikes to 250tonne off highway dump trucks I have formed the opinion about synthetic oil and it is this, it extends the service life of the oil and maintains its viscosity for a longer period in the engine than mineral and ester based oils. so if you want to service the engine once every year and or 15000klm and pay twice the price for the privilege thats totally ok with me. I like to do services every 5000 to 7500 ks and use mineral oils. I have also notice ( anecdotal evidence ) that mineral oils seen to make bike engines run smoother and quieter but thats from my perspective    

PoppetM
On 19/05/2020 at 21:20, DCTPaul said:

Most bikes n scoots i used to use Halfords 5w40 Fully Synthetic... especially in the winter months... Made by Comma - who also make Castrol...

For the NC DCT i will use Castrol 10w30 Fully Synthetic, and the same in the new SH...

I have a halfords trade card... so 20% off helps...

See I wondered that as I had a large bottle of 5w40, but when I called Honda on Tuesday was told don’t use it, put 10w40 in. Ordered a litre online, to be honest I didn’t want to put a lot in as they are just going to flush it out at the end of the month, but he needed more just to get him to that service. The Forza drinks more oil than the NC, the NC always made it to it’s 8,000 services without needing a top up, but the Forza gets too low before I reach the 8,000 service.

Spindizzy
42 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

See I wondered that as I had a large bottle of 5w40, but when I called Honda on Tuesday was told don’t use it, put 10w40 in. Ordered a litre online, to be honest I didn’t want to put a lot in as they are just going to flush it out at the end of the month, but he needed more just to get him to that service. The Forza drinks more oil than the NC, the NC always made it to it’s 8,000 services without needing a top up, but the Forza gets too low before I reach the 8,000 service.

Happens when you ride all the time with the throttle pinned...:poke:

• Haha 2
PoppetM
19 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

Happens when you ride all the time with the throttle pinned...:poke:

Who me?! :angel:

• Haha 2
Hickky

My scoot gets cheapest shitty oil, but changed every 2000 miles. No gearbox or clutch to need special MC oil, but very little in the sump and throttle at cable streach when bound for London or Marks Tey. Mineral does the trick.

Kwak (June) gets semi synthetic MC oil.

Car, 18k service intervals, gets fully synthetic.

• Like 1