Lockdown - should we add Fuel stabilser?

MikeBike

MikeBike

My neighbour who has SORNed one of his cars has said he's adding Fuel stabiliser. He used to have a Lotus then Honda dealership so suppose knows his stuff. But my NC has been sitting with the same fuel since January.

Should I be worried about it? I'm away as well and wont be back until the end of lockdown. Should I be worried about it and get someone to add some stabilser? THe keys are in a safe so not so easy. And I guess it would need running for a while to get it through the system.

Do those of you who don't use their bikes over the winter add it?

Just keep the tank brimmed, to avoid condensation forming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike, it depends a lot on (a) how long the bike will be unused and (b) how full the tank is. A full tank will stay fresher longer. Anything up to six months and you should be fine, the NC is (as we all know) fuel injected. Injection systems don’t suffer the same as carburettors. Not in the short term anyway. Leave one ten years and you’ll have a struggle..

Provided the bike is on a battery tender I can almost guarantee it will just fire up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Mr Toad

I drained the GS last week, it sounds like I know what I'm doing and looking after the bike but the truth is I'd run out of juice for the mower and couldn't just pop out to the garage with the can.

• Haha 4
MikeBike

Thanks Guys, yes I've kept it brimmed to avoid condensation and it's always on a battery tender, so I can relax about it then.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

I drained the GS last week, it sounds like I know what I'm doing and looking after the bike but the truth is I'd run out of juice for the mower and couldn't just pop out to the garage with the can.

You’re much better off with it full than empty, if it’s a metal tank it’s prone to rusting. Can one of your support group fill a Jerry can? It won’t matter in the short term, but if this drags on..

3 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

Thanks Guys, yes I've kept it brimmed to avoid condensation and it's always on a bettery tender, so I can relax about it then.

Yep, feet up and have a chocolate digestive with your coffee.  :niceone:

• Like 1
Mr Toad
47 minutes ago, Tex said:

You’re much better off with it full than empty, if it’s a metal tank it’s prone to rusting. Can one of your support group fill a Jerry can? It won’t matter in the short term, but if this drags on..

True, I hadn't really considered the longer term ramifications Simon, as usual. :) 

I even have a proper Jerry can in the workshop and no shortage of people more than willing to help. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Pete Crowther

I agree with the comments already made regarding keeping it full and 4/5 months OK. Just add a comment on a synthetic fuel called ASPEN, This has a very long shelf life and is used mainly in the horticultural industry for use in chainsaws/strimmers etc. Very low toxicity of the fumes and a shelf life of over 5 years. It's mandatory for health and safety in many countries on strimmers etc. Not cheap at around £19 for 5 litres but: If you are leaving an engine standing for very long periods you will have zero problems with ethanol attack and degradation, plus an engine that will fire up instantly . I also use it in my petrol camping stove for fume toxicity and the fact that I can leave the stove with fuel in it and not suffer blocked jets etc come next year. Oh yes, they do 2 and 4 stroke versions and available from most mower/ chain saw shops.

• Like 1