Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alien Mind

lowered foot pegs

Guest Alien Mind

Just thought if there are any tall or old (or both...) riders here, instead of the SW Motech or e-bay equivalent complex lowering kits, you should know of a company I used on both previous bikes; www.knightdesignllc.com. Check them out, a little expensive but the product is superb! I contacted Alice Knight and she manufactured and shipped the pegs in 4 days. Now waiting the usual hassle with our lovely guys and gals at Customs..

Mike5100

They are beautiful looking pegs Alien but by the time you get them into this country (if the VATman spots them) you could be looking at £140. There are some similar (but plainer) ones regularly advertised on that auction site - from Germany I think, which would be slightly cheaper £100 plus shipping

But I have two questions for anyone who has used these kind of things before:

Does the fact that they have no rubber inserts mean you get more vibes through them?

Do you end up scraping them very often on bends?

Mike

Guest Alien Mind

If you e mail Alice nicely ( well, it's my third order with them!), she will mark the package as a low value personal gift obviating the need for vat and customs... So price comes to £100 ish.

Regards vibrations, on the 1250 bandit there was no difference, whilst on the v-strom there was a little bit which I sorted with better ( more expensive..) boots. I haven't got my NC yet, but from the test ride, I'd assume that there will be no difference.

Guest Alien Mind

Oh sorry, you asked about scraping too; I'm too old to scrape. A couple of years earlier, on the bandit, yup they scraped but the pegs were lower to the ground to start and I lowered then by 2" which was a mistake..

Mike5100

Hmmm ... might give them a try then. I will see whether my knees seize up this weekend on a long trip round Scotland

Mike

Guest Alien Mind

I'll post a photo as soon as they arrive, and you'd be most welcome to come and "test sit".

jdearauj

I'll post a photo as soon as they arrive, and you'd be most welcome to come and "test sit".

Interested to see the picture of the foot pegs if you have it or took it? I'm in the market for a pair and very curious.

Are they lower than the stock foot pegs? I have been looking at the foot pegs from sw-mote0ch...

xxxfb

Hi! new here. I've been looking at different systems and have come up with the Vario system as being the "best". As many of you have already done, I went to M&P but couldn't find the NC listed. I rang them and, not only were they very helpful but they also pointed out I could buy the identical product if I bought it through that auction site!! I went on there but found that the option I was thinking of, the Touring Pegs, was not available Has anyone found a way around this?.

I've only had the bike for 5 minutes ( well nearly, lol) and did note a peg vibration at about 4000rpm. I would like to eliminate any possibility of "vibration white foot!" so can anyone please suggest any solutions? 

Cheers

Mike

slowboy

Mike, I've had them on mine for over 2000 miles, and have ridden over 450 miles in one day with the 30mm dropped pegs, there is a little more vibration, but it really is negligible and has not caused any comfort issues, except for making the seat much more comfortable over long distances, or any pins and needles, after a very short time I just stopped noticing it. They were the best bit if kit I've bought to turn the bike into a comfortable tourer for me at 6'2" tall. Highly recommended

xxxfb

Thanks for that. I just wondered whether the "new" touring pegs, more expensive but with rubber inserts might be the way to go? the prob is that I can buy that auction site standard kits for £90 but the one with these new pegs don't seem to be on offer, unless you pay full whack! 

Any comments greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Mike

xxxfb

Me again  :getlost:. Has anyone considered getting the vario footpeg system with the 50mm extension arm, rather than the 30mm, or will the pegs ground out? Thanks in advance for any (helpful, lol) responses.

Tonto

I have the 30mm vario footpegs and have grounded my left peg a couple of times so taking it nearly another inch down may be a tad too far.

xxxfb

Thanks very much for that. Now, with my tonnage I'm wondering whether the 23 mm might be more appropriate? What do you think?

Guest theweirdfoton

I have a set of the 50mm ones thanks to a forum member who sadly had to sell his...I don't have my bike yet but plan to have the peg set forwards in the sort of 4-5 oclock position as he did. Hopefully I won't encounter any grounding but being 6'5" I had to buy something ready for the day I finally purchase the bike.

xxxfb

Aren't we weird, lol? I'm only 6ft but, as an ex prop, I have short legs and sore knees! What worries me is my weight, 20 st., causing the bike to sag, thus grounding.

I've only had the bike for a few days but I love it. I've always had trailies so am used to low foot pegs. As such, scraping pegs causes fear rather than "pride".

Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers,

Mike

bluemak

Aren't we weird, lol? I'm only 6ft but, as an ex prop, I have short legs and sore knees! What worries me is my weight, 20 st., causing the bike to sag, thus grounding.

I've only had the bike for a few days but I love it. I've always had trailies so am used to low foot pegs. As such, scraping pegs causes fear rather than "pride".

Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers,

Mike

Suggest that you look at the string on two up touring! A bit cheeky of me - but I figure if you ever get up to Aberdeen you would have had a great ride through Scotland and not want to biff me.  Seriously it copes with well over 20 stone without any horrible sounds (except from the pillion).

xxxfb

Lol. I usually set the suspension (and tyres) to 2 up! I was just wondering about the combination of excess weight and lowered footrests.

Actually I've been to Aberdeen, about 35 years ago, in the winter. It was bloody freezing. AND the beer was weird!!

Cheers.

xxxfb

Hi all!

Just fitted the pegs and one tiny problem. The "u piece end" of the spring which loads the foot peg is now catching/scraping on the housing which locates the foot peg, ie. the bits you put the pins through :cry: . Have I done anything wrong? I've tried bending the spring end, obviously without success. I'm wondering if I can just snip the end bit off so that it's resting on the peg, like I presume it should-it seemed to on the Honda pegs!

Hope someone can advise soon, the first day here in a fortnight it hasn't rained, lol.

Cheers

Mike

michael

The lowering foot pegs from Knight design don't have the "curb feeler," type prongs on the bottom of the pegs, so the cornering clearance (or 'bank angle,' I think pilots would call it) would be the same. At least that's how it's working for me.

xxxfb

Are you talking about what the "experts" call hero blobs, or something like that, lol? I'm talking about the spring which fits inside the footpeg pivot which allows the peg to move up, if needed and then spring back into position. If I had the technology/expertise I'd send you a pic!!

Cheers for the speedy response. I don't want to scratch the footrest frame any more than necessary.

Mike

michael

"Hero blobs." 

Classic.

I see the factory spring fits into a recess. I'd go ahead and snip the spring. <EYE PROTECTION!>

xxxfb

Great minds, lol. Apart from the "eye protection", even when the first piece disappeared at a rate of knots. I don't suppose closing your eyes counts? :cry:

bikerbampi

These are photos of my Knight Design pegs that I bought for a Deauville on which they are shown here, I now have them fitted to my NC with the same effect. They are real quality items and the black anodising is still completely intact with no sign of wear.

4d4z.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

z0n1.jpg

iejv.jpg

q9c.jpg

yqco.jpg

ecze.jpg