side stand switch -fix?

bazza

bazza

so first ride this year and the bloody side stand switch wouldn't allow bike to start.How did I know? well no NEUTRAL light on my DCT - so no go.

I put the bike on the centre stand and wanged (tech term)  the stand up and down a few times -and it made the contact.

So question - is it a lubricate job or replace? The bike is 6 years old and lives in a nice warm garage and only opens its eyes in the warmer months!

DCTPaul

They are an expensive item - £100 :blink: Not the few pence of simple side stand plunger or micro switches of old,

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6590909/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/stand

For that outlay i would first persue a good squirt of contact cleaner, followed by a few 'Wangs'

Then a squirt of spray grease for the pivot - again 'Wang' to ensure even distribution...

Wang - 'to move in an arc to limits, usually with varying force and expression at intermediate points of travel...'

While thinking 'Yep', 'That feels a bit better', 'Ah nice' and finaly 'Mmmmm... that should do it'

Edited by DCTPaul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
outrunner

I would take the switch off to clean it properly but be careful when re-installing it as it has to be engaged properly.

Andy.

kayz1
12 hours ago, DCTPaul said:

They are an expensive item - £100 :blink: Not the few pence of simple side stand plunger or micro switches of old,

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6590909/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/stand

For that outlay i would first persue a good squirt of contact cleaner, followed by a few 'Wangs'

Then a squirt of spray grease for the pivot - again 'Wang' to ensure even distribution...

Wang - 'to move in an arc to limits, usually with varying force and expression at intermediate points of travel...'

While thinking 'Yep', 'That feels a bit better', 'Ah nice' and finaly 'Mmmmm... that should do it'

You could submit Wang to the OED for inclusion next year...have to except it when you see some of the new words in next years copy,,,

bazza
On 03/05/2020 at 11:27, bazza said:

so first ride this year and the bloody side stand switch wouldn't allow bike to start.How did I know? well no NEUTRAL light on my DCT - so no go.

I put the bike on the centre stand and wanged (tech term)  the stand up and down a few times -and it made the contact.

So question - is it a lubricate job or replace? The bike is 6 years old and lives in a nice warm garage and only opens its eyes in the warmer months!

Having read up on the switch I checked out flea bay and noted an extraordinary variety in the cost of a new switch

£121 for genuine

£8 for one that looks identical - Side Stand Switch (SSDSW009) for Kiden, Lexmoto, Zontes (#009)

has anyone fitted one of these?i expect the connection block will need changing but reckon I could do that in 24 carat gold given the price difference"

• 10 months later...
On 04/05/2020 at 18:16, bazza said:

Having read up on the switch I checked out flea bay and noted an extraordinary variety in the cost of a new switch

£121 for genuine

£8 for one that looks identical - Side Stand Switch (SSDSW009) for Kiden, Lexmoto, Zontes (#009)

has anyone fitted one of these?i expect the connection block will need changing but reckon I could do that in 24 carat gold given the price difference"

Can I ask if you resolved the switch problem without buying the £100 + Honda part? Mine is behaving in a similar way and I don't fancy getting stranded . I took my switch off, couldn't work out how to dismantle it without breaking it, so settled for giving it a squirt of wd40. That has worked for several weeks, but it is starting to play up again :(

Xactly

On previous bikes I’ve owned on which the side stand switch has caused connection problems I have simply disconnected it. I don’t know if that is possible on a DCT bike but if it is, for me, the lesser of two evils is riding off with the stand down, rather than having the ignition cut out just as you’re overtaking in lane 2 or 3 on a Motorway. Just a thought...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Xactly said:

On previous bikes I’ve owned on which the side stand switch has caused connection problems I have simply disconnected it. I don’t know if that is possible on a DCT bike but if it is, for me, the lesser of two evils is riding off with the stand down, rather than having the ignition cut out just as you’re overtaking in lane 2 or 3 on a Motorway. Just a thought...

Luckily it doesn't make  it cut out when riding and only does it after the stand and switch have been engaged. I think I would prefer to chuck the switch away than pay the Honda replacement price.

bazza
2 hours ago, jereme said:

Luckily it doesn't make  it cut out when riding and only does it after the stand and switch have been engaged. I think I would prefer to chuck the switch away than pay the Honda replacement price.

Jerome I didnt end up fitting the new Chinese switch but i couldnt find any difference in it from the original .It may have a different connection block but had the same number of wires (not my skills) so could easily connect

If you give me your address (pm for security) i willn post it to you and if it works you can give a tenner to Ted.

baz

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bazza said:

Jerome I didnt end up fitting the new Chinese switch but i couldnt find any difference in it from the original .It may have a different connection block but had the same number of wires (not my skills) so could easily connect

If you give me your address (pm for security) i willn post it to you and if it works you can give a tenner to Ted.

baz

That is very kind. I have messaged you. How did you resolve it, or did the wanging do the job? 

• 5 months later...
Davidogilvie

I have a nc750 x dct and the mteal ring has broken...bike still starts in neutral..as expected but wonder if need to replace it or will bike run without it...any advice pls

If the bike thinks the side stand is down A DCt will not go into gear

Simple solution (if you can remember to put the stand up) Is the cut the two wires to the stand switch and join them togather

Switches are expensive but live in a nasty enviroment so need to be robust !

Many years ago we didn't have side stand switches, UK riders flicked the stand up before we rode off, or learnt the hard way never to be repeated, then a few Yanks got hurt I believe by riding off with side stand down and trying to turn left. So manufacturers fitted all sorts of mechanical devices, longer tangs, bits of rubber etc, to avoid law suits, finally deciding or legislated, don't know which, to fit electromechanical interlocks.

Progress eh! I never use a side stand.

Edited by MatBin