PGM-FI light won’t go off

Redrose

Redrose

Hi. Not riding atm obviously, but started up my NC750X in the drive, as I have done weekly fir past 3-4 weeks and today noticed the PGM-FI light (looks like an engine block) stays on. I took it for a quick (essential) spin around the block and my fears were confirmed. It won’t go out. 

My local dealer is closed atm. Any ideas on what it might be? Could it be anything to do with that recent lack of use clogging the fuel injection system of something? 

Many thanks. 

Tex

Hmmm, it’s somewhat unlikely that it will have developed a fault sat on the drive. I would be more inclined to think it’s related to the current situation. When you can ride it properly take it out for a decent run an see what happens. There’s a few things that can trigger the light that will sort themselves out with use.

ChrisCB

It's quite possible poor quality fuel gone off after standing even after a month causing a misfire at idle, had this on my old Varadero last year.

Andy m

The battery is low. The CB500 did this to me two weeks ago. 

When the combination of injector priming and cranking drops the battery below 12.79 volts for more than 2 nano seconds the light is on until it achieves a start entirely above the set voltage. 

I'm sure a dealer will provide free coffee and "reset" but you could just either bang it on a charger for a couple of hours, or give it a decent run. The "reset" is an utter con trick and there is no good reason for the scary hair trigger FI light to latch on for the whole trip once there is a running engine and charging battery, but how else would they shift that coffee. 

Absolutely nothing to worry about here. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Redrose

Great answers guys and I’m really grateful. Well having posted the question, changed out of my gear, kicked the cat, and gone back outside to move the bike back in the garage, I couldn’t resist starting her up again. Lo and behold, the light went out! This leads me to suspect battery low issues as Tex and Andy m suggest, although it could have been a fuel thing too. I’ll give the battery a good charge as I invested in a charger only last week anticipating this kind of thing. 

Many thanks everyone. I love this forum. 😍😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DaveM59

Fuel shouldn't go off that quickly, I think this is just something that gets blamed when everything else suggested doesn't seem likely.

The ECU lamp will also light if the battery voltage exceeds the normal tolerance as well such as if the regulator fails and it gets over 15V.

ChrisCB
34 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

Fuel shouldn't go off that quickly, I think this is just something that gets blamed when everything else suggested doesn't seem likely.

No it shouldn't but it does as well as picking up contaminated fuel.

makman

I started my bike for the first time in three weeks I think it was and vroom on the button! I have to ride to work tomorrow. Kind of happy about that just so I can ride!!

Exceledsteve
2 hours ago, Redrose said:

Well having posted the question, changed out of my gear, kicked the cat, and gone back outside to move the bike back in the garage, I couldn’t resist starting her up again. Lo and behold, the light went out! 

Classic fix of many things... turn it off and turn it back on again. :niceone: Used to work with my wife but I only seem to be any good at the turning off bit now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
MatBin

If I took the battery off my Triumph for a charge the "warning" light came on next time I started the bike, went out after 3 complete cycles of cold to up to running temperature.

Grumpy old man
10 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

Classic fix of many things... turn it off and turn it back on again. :niceone: Used to work with my wife but I only seem to be any good at the turning off bit now.

Know exactly where you're coming from😪