ACF-50 alternative?

Natlas

I wondered if anyone had been using any alternative to ACF-50 as a general purpose weatherproofing solution? After 2 yrs and 4500 miles I am treating mine to a deep clean, all covers off, and there's quite a lot of muck to shift. I get the impression the ACF-50 I had randomly squirted or rubbed on in a few places had dried to a film which can take a bit of removing, or simply been washed away by rainwater so I am thinking of painting on a coat of new EP90 oil and seeing how well that works, particularly in those areas normally inaccessible due to fairing covers. It will pick up dust but should stop any corrosion quite well. Anyone tried anything similar?

neil700

Look at the Bilt  Hamber site , they have excellent products 

Griff

https://www.napieruk.com/products/vp90-super-shield

I have been using this for years. Whenever I have body parts off, any vulnerable bits or welds are covered in it. It is almost like paint and forms a thick waxy coating. I have tried ACF 50 but it washes off too easily for my purposes and during winter riding. VP90 on the other hand was on the bare metal horn plate of my former KTM 950 for several years and never came off. I was too lazy to repaint it. :D

• Like 2
skorpion

For anything hidden/not seen you can't beat WAXOYL,  dirt will stick but who cares,  reapply every few years or never even.

• Like 1
wobble

Scotoiler fs 365 is good. doesn't form a claggy mess like acf, considerably cheaper, washes off.

deecat

I have used XCP on the Honda over the last winter and it seams OK,I had to wipe some off the top yoke nut when I took it in for a PX as the dealer was concerned about the rust on the bike which was just the XCP that I had put on it .

Most of the time I try and concentrate the XCP on the black plated items that all bikes have that go scabby in a short time, for the rest I use silicon spray.

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas there. 

Spindizzy
54 minutes ago, giley said:

Comma release oil was a surprise. It contains graphite as the protector, the rest being kerosene and a solvent.

• Like 1
MikeBike
20 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

Comma release oil was a surprise. It contains graphite as the protector, the rest being kerosene and a solvent.

OMG it works: just look how many came out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

suffolk58

I used to use FS 365 (in fact I've still got some left) but found it left ugly light blue stains on the bike, unless I was careful and used a rag to wipe off the surplus.

I found ACF 50 easier to use and perhaps better at the job, but the aerosol cans are expensive and not very accurate (they supply too much product to most areas and not enough in some others).

So now I use a big 5ltr bottle of ACF 50 and use a cheap electric spray gun to apply it. For two bikes, 5 litres has been more than enough to get me through two winters.

image.png.1e4484023f03fc0c31626278109560d8.png

• Thanks 1
MikeBike

Just looking online the 4L jerry can type container of ACF 50 is about £95 and the 0.95L bottle with spray pump is abdout £25 so not much incentive to buy the big container - unless someone knows a better source..

e.g.

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/aircraft-supplies-c840/acf-50-anti-corrosion-treatment-p5318/s7264?cid=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu5vi69bF6QIVmpntCh2LUAg1EAkYAiABEgJR6fD_BwE

suffolk58

Wow, my son bought me it for a Christmas present! I must remember to be nicer to him in he future. Mind you he is (now was) in the motor trade.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
Delboy777

I use a small compressor and a cheap HVLP spray gun with a regulator in between to adjust pressure. Ive been doing my bikes for years spraying when the bike is new and a little top up where it might wash off. I use ACF 50 and a 1 ltr bottle has lasted me years all you need is about a couple of egg cups full to do the entire bike. The best way is to make sure its well atomised and it will put a very thin coat on the surface. Thats all you need, ohh and last thing, I never wash my bikes, and they go away a little bit grubby, but in mint condition under the coat of ACF they get. Thats how i do it and it works for me.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

Same here. A workshop compressor from machine mart or the auction site pays for itself in a couple of bottles of ACF50 and you still have it for fence creosote, tyres etc. The last 4 litres lasted me 5 years washing with snow foam twice a year (with an ACF treatment) and otherwise only using water. The only trick is to sit the spray can in hot water for ten minutes because the ACF is gloopy when cold. 

The dealer I sold the F to had a little whinge about getting the coating off, then said it was perfect underneath. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
Argyll

I've tried most of the common applications, all with good results.

For the past year I've been using XCP Green (the pump action rather than the aerosol). £5 in B&Q and very effective. It's probably now my favourite and I tend to apply it with a microfibre cloth or a round brush for the hard to get bits.