Mister Paul

Fork gaiters

Mister Paul

I can understand fork gaiters fitted on upside-down forks, as they grip around the chamber, and water doesn't generally flow upwards. But on standard forks the gaiters grip the chamber at the bottom of the gaiter. The top of the gaiter can't be too tight as the fork needs to slide into it. Doesn't this introduce the risk of water flowing down the stanchion and into the gaiter, and staying there?

Tex
22 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

I can understand fork gaiters fitted on upside-down forks, as they grip around the chamber, and water doesn't generally flow upwards. But on standard forks the gaiters grip the chamber at the bottom of the gaiter. The top of the gaiter can't be too tight as the fork needs to slide into it. Doesn't this introduce the risk of water flowing down the stanchion and into the gaiter, and staying there?

No, you might think so, but it doesn’t happen. Not on properly fitted ones anyway. 

• Like 1

skorpion

Fork Gaiters are usually cable tied or clamped with a Jubilee Clip at the top, a hole in the Gaiter is at the bottom, positioned at the rear, this lets out air to stop the Gaiters ballooning and will also let out any water that may get inside.

• Like 2

fj_stuart
2 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Gaiters are attached to the slider at the bottom and the tube at the top. If they are not already a tight fit you use a jubilee clip or cable tie to provide a waterproof seal. The fork doesn’t slide in the gaiter, the gaiter “concertinas” as the suspension travels. Additionally there are holes at the bottom and back of the gaiter. Any water entering will be pumped out as the suspension travels.

wjvh

I have fork gaiters on both of my bikes; one of the best value mods you can make. Water does not get trapped but you do need to make periodic checks for dirt, grime, oil, and condensation ... but generally no issues and they provide very good protection for exposed chrome. Worth buying good quality ones, not just the cheapest.

• Like 1

Graham

I put a set on my 750X from discussions I read on this forum.

Mister Paul
6 hours ago, wjvh said:

I have fork gaiters on both of my bikes; one of the best value mods you can make. Water does not get trapped but you do need to make periodic checks for dirt, grime, oil, and condensation ... but generally no issues and they provide very good protection for exposed chrome. Worth buying good quality ones, not just the cheapest.

Any recommendations?

wjvh

Go for proper rubber, not silicon. 

Polisport is a decent value brand but might be a bit long for an NC; perhaps ok for an X model.