slowboy

Honda Super Cub

slowboy

Now it's got just over 800 miles on it, the Cub is really settling in well. Finally managed to get a run in. Next task is to get one of those clip on Jerry Cans. Now a bit of advice would be welcome if you've used them. Would you get the Rotapax ones (very expensive) or would you get the ones that look similar that Itchy Boots uses that are a third the price? Have I just answered my own question?😁

Meanwhile, somewhere in Devon, yesterday.......

IMG-3771.jpg

• Like 10

Golflad
Posted (edited)

P1010277.jpgGreat photo Brian. Up to 186 miles now. Going well. Filled up at Tesco yesterday £2.36!!!!!!!!! I have a Sigg fuel bottle and was wondering how I could safely carry it. Still pondering.

Edited by Golflad
  • Like 9

Tex

Hey Ken, is that colliery now a museum? Or is there a pit museum somewhere.?

Tex

Brian, buy the cheap fuel can. And spend the difference going somewhere. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dunnster

I think you have answered your own question and so has Tex. I'll answer it too, I'd buy the cheaper one, if I was feeling flush. I've often thought about buying the rotopack or variants or even those really expensive petrol bladders that fold down when empty. But I just do what I've always done and strapped a 5L plastic petrol can on my bike. Not as blingy, but cheap as chips.  :yes:

• Like 2

Golflad

Hya Tex. No, there is not a museum there. That headgear wheel was from Yorkshire Main Pit. It is sited in the car park entrance to the Colliery Club. I used to play for Yorkshire Main Brass Band and they rehearsed in the club. The very best museum of Coal Mining in England is The Yorkshire Coal MIning Museum at the old Caphouse Colliery near Wakefield. It is a great day out and the canteen makes the most awesome home made steak pie. They do underground trips too which I am sure you would find very interesting. I have taken my daughter and my wife down and they loved the experience. The surface exhibits are very good too with a large indoor museum and galleries of mining memorabilia. There is a museum in Wales :- The Big Pit but I don't know much about it. Regards.

• Thanks 3

Rocker66

That sounds like an interesting day out. I have always had an interest in the mining industry even more so after the days when I worked trains into Betteshanger.

• Like 1

Andy m

I'm less than 10 miles from the Yorkshire mining museum, so let me know if you are ever going for that pie. 

I'd definitely go for the supermarket petrol can, they just do the job. If you want fancy, go for Touratech (don't normally recommend them, but keep reading) or the 5 litre Wermacht style. They have the advantage over SIGG bottles that the neck will take a petrol pump nozzle. You can use the metal ones as an axle stand if you need to swap a front tube out at the roadside. Racks are a must IMHO because any tank has rounded corners so is a swine to lash down (even the Jerry can style) . You don't want it in the box with your pub jeans and butties. SIGG bottles win here as they fit on the racks The Lycra use for water bottles (I assume it's water they chuck about). Touratech do ally plates (of course) that give you lashing points. Either sell a kidney or make a Pooratrek copy in 3mm ally. The mini-Jerry cans need a steel rack (steel can rubbing on ally rack has one obvious winner) so you end up copying the Landrover type in miniature. 

Now, having lugged petrol petrol from one petrol station to another on three continents and only ever needed a couple of times except due to strikes and my own incompetence, what's the C125's range and why do you think you need a can to spread your 7HP even thinner? I thought these things had 2 gallon tanks good for three days riding? 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SteveThackery
4 minutes ago, Andy m said:

I thought these things had 2 gallon tanks good for three days riding? 

Sadly not: 3.7 litres.  I think that counts as a shortcoming, even for a bike with that mpg.

• Like 2

Andy m

Chris Scott is less worried about the Postie on this score

200 miles at 30 mph average is surely going to involve needing a wee and fancying a cuppa at some point? OK, you aren't going to try Leicester Forest East's finest Chinese curry (with real bat) * but can you really do 200 miles without passing a petrol station? On a CB500 or Bonneville I can because I'll blast up the motorway then start having fun. If I could control myself and fill up just off the motorway 150 miles range would be fine. On a 125 isn't that a weekend trip and you'll be passing through towns? 

*we should make a list of virus positives and I shall promote the closure of the "food" outlets on the services as one. 

Andy

• Like 1

Rocker66
46 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Sadly not: 3.7 litres.  I think that counts as a shortcoming, even for a bike with that mpg.

And I thought that the Monkey’s tank was small at 5.7 litres

slowboy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Chris Scott is less worried about the Postie on this score

200 miles at 30 mph average is surely going to involve needing a wee and fancying a cuppa at some point? OK, you aren't going to try Leicester Forest East's finest Chinese curry (with real bat) * but can you really do 200 miles without passing a petrol station? On a CB500 or Bonneville I can because I'll blast up the motorway then start having fun. If I could control myself and fill up just off the motorway 150 miles range would be fine. On a 125 isn't that a weekend trip and you'll be passing through towns? 

*we should make a list of virus positives and I shall promote the closure of the "food" outlets on the services as one. 

Andy

I agree with most of that...to a point, and the point is this. Instead of "blast up the motorway then start having fun" what I've done it try to make that fun start sooner and don't go near the motorway. Getting out of South Devon for most is a thrash up the A38 and join the M5 at Exeter. There are other, much quieter and more scenic options, but they're slower.

I do understand that when your time is limited sometimes you just want to cover some miles. On non motorway (dual carriageways are included in that) routes, I can average between 30 and 40 on the C90 (got a gold on the 2013 national Rally on it that suggests I'm not far out) and I don't see why the Cub, with a comfortable cruising speed of 50-55mph (even though the top speed is about 58-60 indicated unless the wind or gravity is assisting) wouldn't be able to average around 40 - 45 or even a little bit more if it's clear.

I've certainly done back to back 300 mile days on the C90 without too much trouble and always arrived by tea time (say 18:00) and in well under 10 hours.

One of my longest trips on the C90 was leaving Diss at 09:00 and arriving home by 20:00. A distance of roughly 350 miles by the route I used with all stops included.

The range on the new Super cub is a potential issue, with about 90 to 100 miles to the flashing dash and about 120 to empty (3.8 litres max). My plan to solve that will is a clip on 3 or 5 litre can that I can fill at a service station and will give me up to 250 miles of independence from them.

Top up after a couple of hours or so is a bit of a faff, but just needs a mindset reset. It's the price I'm happy to pay for my style over substance choice 😁.

Now Rocker's CB 125 with a near 300 mile range would be interesting.

My 250 Rally knocks out between 180 to 210 miles on a tank (10 litres)

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 5

Tex
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

I'm less than 10 miles from the Yorkshire mining museum, so let me know if you are ever going for that pie. 

Will do! :niceone:

• Like 1

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, slowboy said:

I agree with most of that...to a point, and the point is this. Instead of "blast up the motorway then start having fun" what I've done it try to make that fun start sooner and don't go near the motorway. Getting out of South Devon for most is a thrash up the A38 and join the M5 at Exeter. There are other, much quieter and more scenic options, but they're slower.

I do understand that when your time is limited sometimes you just want to cover some miles. On non motorway (dual carriageways are included in that) routes, I can average between 35 and 40 on the C90 (got a gold on the 2013 national Rally on it that suggests I'm not far out) and I don't see why the Cub, with a comfortable cruising speed of 50-55mph (even though the top speed is about 58-60 indicated unless the wind or gravity is assisting) wouldn't be able to average around 40 - 45 or even a little bit more if it's clear.

I've certainly done back to back 300 mile days on the C90 without too much trouble and always arrived by tea time (say 17:00) and in well under 10 hours.

One of my longest trips on the C90 was leaving Diss at 09:00 and arriving home by 20:00. A distance of roughly 350 miles by the route I used with all stops included.

The range on the new Super cub is a potential issue, with about 90 to 100 miles to the flashing dash and about 120 to empty (3.8 litres max). My plan to solve that will is a clip on 3 or 5 litre can that I can fill at a service station and will give me up to 250 miles of independence from them.

Top up after a couple of hours or so is a bit of a faff, but just needs a mindset reset. It's the price I'm happy to pay for my style over substance choice 😁.

Now Rocker's CB 125 with a near 300 mile range would be interesting.

My 250 Rally knocks out between 180 to 210 miles on a tank (10 litres)

I would quite happily take the CB125 for a longish trip on back roads.

• Like 2

Tex

Just been browsing the Honda UK website lots of 0% finance on the slow sellers. It seems the public at large don’t share this site’s enthusiasm for the little bikes. :( 

Mind you (and this absolutely underlines Brian’s point earlier) they also recommend the CB1000R as a commuter - :dielaugh:

• Haha 3

dave

Screwfix do a petrol mixing container that fits under the Innova seat, enough for 35 extra miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocker66
27 minutes ago, Tex said:

Mind you (and this absolutely underlines Brian’s point earlier) they also recommend the CB1000R as a commuter - :dielaugh:

That’s ridiculous when it’s so obvious that a Fireblade SP would make a far better commuter.😀😀

• Haha 3

Tex

Talking of Fireblades, did you see all the new 2020 models have to go back for new con rods? :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, Tex said:

Talking of Fireblades, did you see all the new 2020 models have to go back for new con rods? :( 

No I hadn’t sen that. Guess I won’t by one after all then.😀

• Haha 1

slowboy
14 minutes ago, Tex said:

Its a tough life, commuting.......😇

• Haha 3

Andy m

I rarely get to do a dawn 'till dusk ride and it would take me until first breakfast to get out of the city, hence 70 mph and the associated fuel is part of what I look for. One day maybe I'll get the time, it's an appealing way to travel. 100 miles range is poor. 

Do they do a rack that sits on the "tunnel"? The RTW on a Postie brigade seem to favour an XT125 tank suitably "modified" (with a lump hammer) and piped via a brass Y christmas tree fitting into the main tank. You could do this on an FI bike if there is a piped tank breather. Run off the breather as short as possible to the Y, one leg low to the tank the other high (must go above the tanks) to a MX style NR breather valve. If you try this make sure the motorcycle tank breathes well, when the tap is open both tanks are breathing through the auxiliary and fuel pumps hate bubbly petrol. I assume the pump is in the tank? If its external you can just Y at the feed so long as you use FI rated pipe and fittings. 

Andy

• Like 2

Tex
6 minutes ago, Andy m said:

I rarely get to do a dawn 'till dusk ride and it would take me until first breakfast to get out of the city, hence 70 mph and the associated fuel is part of what I look for. One day maybe I'll get the time, it's an appealing way to travel. 100 miles range is poor. 

Even in the overcrowded south east I can access a network of little lanes to potter about on with about 5 minutes of home. Oddly, I am starting to find ‘pottering’ quite attractive now (never went over 60 all day on my last ride out). Who saw that coming? ;) 

The downside is, when heading north, I have to deal with London. And I simply can’t be arsed to try and find an attractive alternative to the poxy M25. Hence I plan my journey times with great care. Very great care! 

• Like 1

slowboy
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Yes it is poor, and in that regard the Monkey is a better prospect. It was a very close run thing between the two of them when I bought my Cub. And I do think the CB500 in any flavour is one of the best bikes available at the moment. It definitely fits the light and fun bill and has decent real world performance. I do get it.

1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Do they do a rack that sits on the "tunnel"? The RTW on a Postie brigade seem to favour an XT125 tank suitably "modified" (with a lump hammer) and piped via a brass Y christmas tree fitting into the main tank. You could do this on an FI bike if there is a piped tank breather. Run off the breather as short as possible to the Y, one leg low to the tank the other high (must go above the tanks) to a MX style NR breather valve. If you try this make sure the motorcycle tank breathes well, when the tap is open both tanks are breathing through the auxiliary and fuel pumps hate bubbly petrol. I assume the pump is in the tank? If its external you can just Y at the feed so long as you use FI rated pipe and fittings. 

Andy

There is a centre rack, but to be honest I'd make one for the task. I've done it for the C90, it's pretty straightforward. I think the pumps in the tank, but again plumbing in an additional fed at the bottom and permanently linking the two would be pretty simple. Then it's just a case of getting a tank, and it might be as easy to have a small alloy one made, 4l would give you an extra 120 to 130 miles. Even the fuel guage would work normally. You wouldn't even need two fillers, the one on the original would be fine, just a decent breather as you describe on the top of the auxiliary one.

for now though I think I'll just add a 5 litre clip on one like Itchy Boots uses on her Himalayan.👍

• Like 2

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Even in the overcrowded south east I can access a network of little lanes to potter about on with about 5 minutes of home. Oddly, I am starting to find ‘pottering’ quite attractive now (never went over 60 all day on my last ride out). Who saw that coming? ;) 

The downside is, when heading north, I have to deal with London. And I simply can’t be arsed to try and find an attractive alternative to the poxy M25. Hence I plan my journey times with great care. Very great care! 

Any particular tips on that regard? Last and only time I made a trip in that direction I had not only the M25 to deal with but the north circular which was, for my south coast bumpkin self, absolutely chuffing terrifying.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1

Tex
7 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Any particular tips on that regard? Last and only time I made a trip in that direction I had not only the M25 to deal with but the north circular which was, for my south coast bumpkin, absolutely chuffing terrifying.

Well, being retired means I have the luxury of being able to choose my own times to travel. This means I try and hit the M25 either very early in the morning or quite late at night. Of course, being about 40 minutes drive south of it helps in that regard. Leave home at 5:00am, Dartford Xing by 6:00 and Duxford (M11) by 7:00. 

Only real tips I can offer is avoid Monday mornings and Friday evenings, lunch times are often pretty quiet and worth a punt. Knowing where you’re going is a massive help and your little Beeline device will look after you there.

Like a lot of unpleasant things it becomes easier with practice. Good luck.

• Thanks 1