slowboy

Honda Super Cub

KingJames
42 minutes ago, Tex said:

A Monkey & sidecar is my dream! :niceone: I could introduce Diesel to motorcycling. :D 

Although I agree the Cub is lovely, I would have to choose the SH125 myself. But it’s going to be a long time coming, because when I raised the subject of getting a small bike I was told “You already have one! The Triumph is only little..”. :( 

And then something like this comes along - https://supersoco.co.uk/super-soco-cpx/ this for commuting and a big thing for touring (Cross tourer springs to mind)

• Like 1

slowboy
2 minutes ago, KingJames said:

And then something like this comes along - https://supersoco.co.uk/super-soco-cpx/ this for commuting and a big thing for touring (Cross tourer springs to mind)

I wont debate the big thing for touring😁. That is starting to get to be a useful tool for commuting. And the price is looking in the ballpark as well, although It's a bit dear with the extra battery to get the best out of it, you'll possibly make that back in running costs. Nice.

KingJames

I wont debate the big thing for touring😁

Haha, please don't, be here all day.

The battery comes out and can be recharged in the office I believe.  I'm not really in the market for a new commuter, the x does the job brilliantly but my office is in Islington and it's only a matter of time before the roads around my office become electric only.

• Haha 1

Andy m

The leccy scooter has an 80 mile range, but, I doubt you can pop a second and third battery in the top box and it takes 4 hours to charge. I assume a fast charger will be less but its still standing outside Starbucks long after the coffees done, not drinking tea from a thermos and admiring the viewm

Brian, look at the Valex 3 litre can on the auction site. Thats a tankful for you so you are only carrying full or empty and I think your puncture kit will slot under it. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KingJames

With a solar charger and wind turbine on your head you will never need to stop and charge it, you could tour forever. 😉

For a 17 mile each way with ability to top up at work, one battery (assuming it allows full power) would be enough. 

Edited by KingJames
  • Haha 1

Ciaran1602

As I understand it the Supersoco range are designed with a key advantage: the battery is removable and chargeable from a normal three pin house plug rather than having to charge it from a true electric vehicle charger. If you were able to charge it at work by sticking it in a plug and not having the PAC test police come knocking then it's essentially free commuting. And everyone loves free commuting!

MCN's review of an earlier model was rather damning but then that surprises me nil. There was a review of one on youtube which looked decent enough.

Andy m

A 13A socket is going to take 3-4 hours, so great for a full day at the office, no good when you are standing on the services with a ferry ticket burning a hole in your pocket. 

Andy

KingJames

Hence the crosstourer for the dash 😃

Trev

Just the job for back lane exploring Brian and I'm with you, sat nav is an unnecessary evil for most rides.

I can see a Cub or a Hunter (what a cobblers name that is) in my riding future but, for now at least, if I could only have one bike then I would still want something that could overtake safely on a quickish A road. I agree that small bikes are fun but don't forget that most (slightly) larger bikes can do everything a small bike can + a bit more :ermm::whistle:

As I'm MOT'less on all my 'modern' bikes the XS650 has been pushed into bimbling and commuting service and a respectable job it's been doing as well. We went out for our first two up ride today since we were in NZ, 70 miles of almost entirely B and C roads (are C roads still a thing?) and it's lovely torquey motor made it almost Enfieldesque with the added bonus of actually being able to overtake the one or two dawdlers we came up behind. Here's a wobbly, blurry pic of it parked up outside our new gaff in the forest showing of it's shiny new seat cover and brake hoses.

xs.jpg.3312456187a1e395ac3ed63818b18139.jpg

• Like 3

slowboy
9 minutes ago, Trev said:

Just the job for back lane exploring Brian and I'm with you, sat nav is an unnecessary evil for most rides.

I can see a Cub or a Hunter (what a cobblers name that is) in my riding future but, for now at least, if I could only have one bike then I would still want something that could overtake safely on a quickish A road. I agree that small bikes are fun but don't forget that most (slightly) larger bikes can do everything a small bike can + a bit more :ermm::whistle:

As I'm MOT'less on all my 'modern' bikes the XS650 has been pushed into bimbling and commuting service and a respectable job it's been doing as well. We went out for our first two up ride today since we were in NZ, 70 miles of almost entirely B and C roads (are C roads still a thing?) and it's lovely torquey motor made it almost Enfieldesque with the added bonus of actually being able to overtake the one or two dawdlers we came up behind. Here's a wobbly, blurry pic of it parked up outside our new gaff in the forest showing of it's shiny new seat cover and brake hoses.

Very nice Trev. And you know I know that really, don't you, about bigger bikes😉:poke:

Trev
Just now, slowboy said:

Very nice Trev. And you know I know that really, don't you, about bigger bikes😉:poke:

Just checking you hadn't forgotten :angel:

Glad to see you're getting out and about and hope you're bearing up okay in these weird times? I guess it's going to be a while before we get to catch up but at least we'll have plenty to chat about up on when we do. 

Stay safe, keep smiling :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Rocker66
30 minutes ago, Trev said:

Having just shown the picture to Sue she told me something that I didn’t know which is that you can tell an American import by the fact that the gold stripe goes over the tank.

Hickky

I took the Kwack (June) to girlfriend's local park for a 6foot meeting. It was not a bimble as my fuel consumption eas in the low 30s instead of low 50s. Needed that!

• Like 2

Trev
23 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Having just shown the picture to Sue she told me something that I didn’t know which is that you can tell an American import by the fact that the gold stripe goes over the tank.

Thank Sue for me for that bit of info. I understand that other differences are the bars, side visible reflectors (which I've removed) on the front fork, extra red reflectors above the number plate and the European version had twin discs. There are mounts on the left fork for a second disc but I would need a new master cylinder and hoses and would work out about £400 for NOS parts. 

The shocks and silencers aren't standard and I have switched headlight for a 60w halogen conversion but have kept the original 45W safe and sound.

Have to say I'm pretty green on the XS650 but am enjoying learning, have a Haynes manual coming as the clutch snatches on some pull aways and the starter motor doesn't sound great so will be looking to sort these over the Summer. I'm using the kickstart for now which is pretty easy, first time starter even from cold after a little prod with the clutch in the free the plates. Really enjoying owning and riding it, pulls nicely, sounds great and (I think) looks just how a 'proper' bike should. 

Edited by Trev
  • Like 2

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Trev said:

Really enjoying owning and riding it, pulls nicely, sounds great and (I think) looks just how a 'proper' bike should. 

Fully agree it’s nearly as nice looking as the XS2😀

• Like 1