delayed MOT's - a question

Mike5100

Mike5100

Does anyone know whether if you delay your MOT under the Covid rules, that the NEXT time you need to have it done is 12 months later, or will the requirement revert to the anniversary of when it first needed one?  In other words if my bike needed an MOT in April 20 but I legitimately put it off until (say) October, will the next one be required in April 2021 or in October 2021?

Mike

Tex

October ‘21. You get a full 12 months ticket from the date of your next test. 

• Like 1
MatBin
1 hour ago, Tex said:

. Ignore

Edited by MatBin
Mike5100
On 5/26/2020 at 13:37, Tex said:

Thanks Simon.  Not that I am casting doubt on your excellent opinions :D, but do you mind me asking if it is just that, or have you (for instance) had a late MOT done and got a full 12 months certificate?.  By the way - the background to my query is that I have a triumph Rocket that has always needed a test at the end of March - which is often very cold, and more importantly there's loads of salt on the road.  If this epidemic allows me to time shift the whole annual process to October at least there will be one thing I can thank the government for.

Mike

• Thanks 1
Tonyj

Mike you can mot anytime you like . Hang it out or do it early 

Dunnster
6 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

Thanks Simon.  Not that I am casting doubt on your excellent opinions :D, but do you mind me asking if it is just that, or have you (for instance) had a late MOT done and got a full 12 months certificate?.  By the way - the background to my query is that I have a triumph Rocket that has always needed a test at the end of March - which is often very cold, and more importantly there's loads of salt on the road.  If this epidemic allows me to time shift the whole annual process to October at least there will be one thing I can thank the government for.

Mike

I once "shifted" my mot date by 3 months on a bike by completely forgetting it needed doing. :blush: :doh:Luckily enough I never got stopped or had an accident in that time of illegal motoring. :sweat:The mot certificate was valid for a year from the new date, just like when a dealer sells a vehicle that's MOT has expired due to being in unsold, but gives it one to get a sale.   :niceone:

• Like 1
Trev
50 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

Mike

I took my Griso in for service and MOT as it ran out April 14th. The examiner told me it didn't need an MOT until October 1st under 'Covid' relaxation. My AT however, which ran out on 29th March does need an MOT and is going for one tomorrow.

Tex
1 hour ago, Mike5100 said:

Thanks Simon.  Not that I am casting doubt on your excellent opinions :D, but do you mind me asking if it is just that, or have you (for instance) had a late MOT done and got a full 12 months certificate?. 

Yes Mike. My daughter’s Mini was sorned and she’s been using my Fiat (£30 a year, not worth sorning it). The MOT expired but was extended under the government scheme. She wants to tax it from June 1st so I got it MOT tested (yes, I know I didn’t have to but it’s a safety check. And she’s my daughter.) and got a 12 month ticket.

• Like 1
stephenmcg

When the mot stations openin Scotland, I will take mine in then

smcg

getting regular eye testing every day at the moment

Sorry eye checking

• Haha 2
Mike5100
12 hours ago, Dunnster said:

I once "shifted" my mot date by 3 months on a bike by completely forgetting it needed doing. :blush: :doh:Luckily enough I never got stopped or had an accident in that time of illegal motoring. :sweat:The mot certificate was valid for a year from the new date, just like when a dealer sells a vehicle that's MOT has expired due to being in unsold, but gives it one to get a sale.   :niceone:

Of course - good point.  I once did that on my car years ago, and it in effect moved the annual test point.  

Mike

• Like 1
bazza

its all a bit silly isn't it.You get a reminder -usually-that your tax is due but no notification of the MOT date.OK lots of firms offer a reminder service- and so should your usual testing station or they are missing a trick.

My NC gets a test in May and I got it serviced and MOT'd by my chap ready for the road again.Its a bit like taxing it though- you want to do it so you don't "waste" any weeks etc!

One -and probably only-thing our Froggie friends have is the green insurance sticker on all vehicles -by law.Here too many people don't bother to insure and it costs us all loads as the insurance firms load our premiums to cover these tossers' accidents.

sparyk123

Hi, To Your Question, I am a mot tester  Cars/vans/ but not bikes yet?  and its as others had stated you will get 12 months mot from the date of test,  you could get 13 months if you bring your bike/car/van 28 days before its due as well , 

• Like 3
Tex

Bazza, you can sign up for an MOT reminder text service (free BTW) from VOSA. I get texts about a month before they’re due. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
KingJames

The nice chap or chapess in uniform with the snazzy car shouldn't be relied upon to tell you apparently.  

• Haha 1