Rocker66

Really must arrange a road test

Rocker66

For some time I have been looking at the T100 Bonnie and following a conversation with Sue today we have decided that booking a test ride would be a good idea. At least  then I would have a better idea of what I was comparing my CB500X to and whether a change would be a good idea. I know that it fits me physically having sat on Tex’s.

Hopefully test rides will become available again before the summer ends.

• Like 4

Tex

The Triumph dealers in St Leonards re-open on Monday. 01424-423520. Let me know and I can either meet you there or, at the very least, make an introduction over the phone. Mention my name and they’ll charge you double and frisk you when you leave.. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Hickky

My Bonnie T100 put a huge smile on my face. Not the fastest, not the best handling, not packed with all the latest hi tec gear, but very satisfying, great looking and should suit our oldie image perfectly and bimbling around is a joy. If you need more power, it's available, if you need better handling there are a number of aftermarket firms out there to help you, Simon can help you on the details.

Mr Toad

I love mine.

Is it perfect, not even close. Does it make me smile until my face aches, absolutely. What I found odd was thet I get more compliments about the Bonny than any other bike I've ever owned and not older people who had one of the originals. Even the younger generation seem to like them too. 

• Like 2

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, Hickky said:

My Bonnie T100 put a huge smile on my face. Not the fastest, not the best handling, not packed with all the latest hi tec gear, but very satisfying, great looking and should suit our oldie image perfectly and bimbling around is a joy. If you need more power, it's available, if you need better handling there are a number of aftermarket firms out there to help you, Simon can help you on the details.

I have learned to live with the performance of my CB500X so if that of the Bonnie is comparable that would be fine.

1 minute ago, Mr Toad said:

I love mine.

Is it perfect, not even close. Does it make me smile until my face aches, absolutely. What I found odd was thet I get more compliments about the Bonny than any other bike I've ever owned and not older people who had one of the originals. Even the younger generation seem to like them too. 

i certainly find the Bonnie to be a far more handsome than my CB500X.

• Like 1

Chris750

Sounds like a good plan Rocker, have you considered a street twin? under 200kg, 10 more horses and a little cheaper.

• Like 2

Tex
19 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

Sounds like a good plan Rocker, have you considered a street twin? under 200kg, 10 more horses and a little cheaper.

Lower seat too. :niceone: Not to mention tubeless tyres. Damn! I said not to mention them!!

If I was buying again, I wouldn’t necessarily buy the T100. Compared to a stocker Percy will blow your kilt up. Right up. But it’s cost me a lot of time, trouble and £££s.

The money you save with the Street Twin would get you heated grips and a top box.. ;) 

• Like 2

Chris750
6 minutes ago, Tex said:

Lower seat too. :niceone: Not to mention tubeless tyres. Damn! I said not to mention them!!

You went there :muttley:

• Haha 3

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Chris750 said:

I appreciate all that but for me it just doesn’t have that Triumph look somehow.

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)

From an aesthetic perspective, the Street Twin's problem for me is the RE Interceptor - I genuinely think the latter is prettier. I've never owned or ridden a Triumph so I can't speak to the dynamics/build quality but I know my wallet would prefer the £3000 saving or whatever it is now (Triumph's site won't load for me to check!)

The T100 however is proportioned somehow better. There's just something about that shape that looks and feels right.

It's an itch that needs a'scratching :ahappy:

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 2

Rocker66
3 hours ago, Tex said:

If I was buying again, I wouldn’t necessarily buy the T100. Compared to a stocker Percy will blow your kilt up. Right up. But it’s cost me a lot of time, trouble and £££s.

The money you save with the Street Twin would get you heated grips and a top box.. ;) 

I know that you have ridden a CB500X so I was wondering howyou found the performance compared with a pre Tex breathed on T100.

Tex
31 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I know that you have ridden a CB500X so I was wondering howyou found the performance compared with a pre Tex breathed on T100.

Hmm, they’re totally different to ride. The CB500 is a little charmer, a proper Honda that responds well to a big fistful of throttle, the standard T100 is a bit more like an NC really. It’s all torque at low revs and trying to rev it out results in more noise but not a massive power increase. To get that you need the cam and all the other bits.

Does the Speed Twin float your boat? Lighter than the T100 and with 90+ hp :niceone:

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Tex said:

Hmm, they’re totally different to ride. The CB500 is a little charmer, a proper Honda that responds well to a big fistful of throttle, the standard T100 is a bit more like an NC really. It’s all torque at low revs and trying to rev it out results in more noise but not a massive power increase. To get that you need the cam and all the other bits.

Does the Speed Twin float your boat? Lighter than the T100 and with 90+ hp :niceone:

The speed twin in my opinion just doesn’t have that 60s look that I so like on the T100. I wonder what the T120 is like to ride.

Tex
8 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

The speed twin in my opinion just doesn’t have that 60s look that I so like on the T100. I wonder what the T120 is like to ride.

Plenty of torque and power and it’s got the ‘look’ alright. I don’t like the steering on the 120 which I find very ponderous and heavy, but you might be fine with it. It’s only about 25 lbs heavier than the T100, but feels like 125.. 

• Thanks 1

Foxy
14 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

I love mine.

I find it the same, people stop and stare when it's out on the path and often start a conversation when I am stopped anywhere. Just yesterday an elderly gent rested on his stick and regaled tales about his beloved James, going on to explain how he ended up in Jankers when caught storing a Matchless engine in his Army locker.

No doubt we can all talk about bikes all day and for me yesterday wasn't the first time my cold tea went down the drain.

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Plenty of torque and power and it’s got the ‘look’ alright. I don’t like the steering on the 120 which I find very ponderous and heavy, but you might be fine with it. It’s only about 25 lbs heavier than the T100, but feels like 125.. 

Thanks considering that weight was one of the factors that caused me to part with the Crossrunner I guess I can rule the T120 out.

suffolk58

My local dealer has a couple of lightly used Street Cups. What are they like? Or is that something I shouldn't ask?

• Haha 1

Tex

The Street Cup uses the ‘early’ 900 engine. It’s essentially a Street Twin with nice clocks and dropped bars. Looks fast, but isn’t. Responds well to the same tuning techniques applied to Percy. As always it’s personal preference. A chap I follow on Instagram has a standard T100 and has clocked over 20k miles on a ‘tour’ of the US. and he’s not finished yet. He finds the bike ideal. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocker66

I went passed Triumph Ashford today and they had 2 bikes out the front probably getting ready to open on Monday.one of the bikes was. Blue/white Bonnie so my first reaction was they must have read my post on the NC forum.😀😀

• Haha 4

sandalfarm

It was tex, he rang  them up , told them to get polishing and to sort out a finders fee

• Haha 6

Tex
17 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I went passed Triumph Ashford today and they had 2 bikes out the front probably getting ready to open on Monday.one of the bikes was. Blue/white Bonnie so my first reaction was they must have read my post on the NC forum.😀😀

I understand it was Triumph U.K. who issued instructions to their dealer network to close. And now the whole network will re-open on Monday 1st June. I know that some dealers have been operating ‘under the radar’ (selling bikes over the phone - what fun) and the spares distribution has continued because there’s no face to face contact there.

I think there’s going to be restrictions on the number of people in a showroom at any one time, strict hand sanitizer regs and coffee machines turned off. Just the routine stuff that’s going to be normal now.

Rock, I’m not trying to put you off, but I recall you saying the CB1100 wasn’t the bike for you because of the strict cleaning routine required by spoked wheels etc. What makes you think It’ll be easier on the Bonnie?

Rocker66
28 minutes ago, Tex said:

I understand it was Triumph U.K. who issued instructions to their dealer network to close. And now the whole network will re-open on Monday 1st June. I know that some dealers have been operating ‘under the radar’ (selling bikes over the phone - what fun) and the spares distribution has continued because there’s no face to face contact there.

I think there’s going to be restrictions on the number of people in a showroom at any one time, strict hand sanitizer regs and coffee machines turned off. Just the routine stuff that’s going to be normal now.

Rock, I’m not trying to put you off, but I recall you saying the CB1100 wasn’t the bike for you because of the strict cleaning routine required by spoked wheels etc. What makes you think It’ll be easier on the Bonnie?

If I remember  correctly it wasn’t so much the spoked wheels on the CB but the chrome guards which I love but are a pain to prevent from rusting underneath.. There is also the fact that we only ride in the rain if we really have to or we get caught out.

I really think I’m going to have to have a test ride even if it’s only to scratch that itch a stop me wondering if I would really want one.

• Like 1

bahnstormer

Great, now you've got me looking at Bonnies and Bobbers :D

• Haha 4

Tex
16 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

Great, now you've got me looking at Bonnies and Bobbers :D

I could ‘see’ Rocker on a Bobber. I remember him trying one for size. :niceone:

• Like 1

bahnstormer
4 minutes ago, Tex said:

I could ‘see’ Rocker on a Bobber. I remember him trying one for size. :niceone:

I've just found one for sale near me.  Must......resist.......

• Like 1